Roger's Cup (Women) - Toronto

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well I said on another site, that Serena has flirted with the law of averages one too many times this year with her slow starts and mid match lapses that it was bound to catch up to her at some point. This is a good thing it might ease media talk before the Open as well as say hey we have a lot of work to do team. Toronto and the U.S. Open are two very different tournaments. Serena fought hard despite the mess of her game, but you better believe she will fight harder than she did at Toronto at the Open.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
sk310 said:
kskate2 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Well one can't argue with results. She has netted 8 slams under his guidance with a chance to help her get a few more. Patrick also isn't one to mince words with anyone, so if there was a falling out, it has to do with respect shown. Patrick expects manners and civility, and he is someone who won't tolerate disrespect from anyone.
I honestly believe he's the reason she's so motivated these days. I mean she's been #1 for 2.5 years in her 30s, w/ a very good chance of making it 3 years. That's unheard of.

I completely agree. Her motivation changed a lot under him. For much of her career Serena would stay motivated towards a goal and then once she reached it she would kind of wane for a bit before having another goal. Whether it was coming back after an injury or proving the haters wrong she would do really really really well against big odds for about 8-14 months, then kind of fade again. Under Patrick it's been a sustained motivation for a LONG time.
Serena said after her near death experience she realized that it can end at anytime and that she was thirty and almost retiring and wanted to do her best and to honor her parents for investing in her...its not all about Patrick.She is grown enough to know that she was given a second chance to prove herself.:popcorn

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
sk310 said:
kskate2 said:
I honestly believe he's the reason she's so motivated these days. I mean she's been #1 for 2.5 years in her 30s, w/ a very good chance of making it 3 years. That's unheard of.

I completely agree. Her motivation changed a lot under him. For much of her career Serena would stay motivated towards a goal and then once she reached it she would kind of wane for a bit before having another goal. Whether it was coming back after an injury or proving the haters wrong she would do really really really well against big odds for about 8-14 months, then kind of fade again. Under Patrick it's been a sustained motivation for a LONG time.
Serena said after her near death experience she realized that it can end at anytime and that she was thirty and almost retiring and wanted to do her best and to honor her parents for investing in her...its not all about Patrick.She is grown enough to know that she was given a second chance to prove herself.:popcorn

Serena has gone on record saying that Patrick has helped keep her motivated and hungry to do better, so are you calling Serena a liar? I am sure there are many factors that motivate Serena, but she has been very vocal that Patrick is a key element pushing her when she doesn't want to be pushed and encouraging her when she is down.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
tossip said:
sk310 said:

Serena has gone on record saying that Patrick has helped keep her motivated and hungry to do better, so are you calling Serena a liar? I am sure there are many factors that motivate Serena, but she has been very vocal that Patrick is a key element pushing her when she doesn't want to be pushed and encouraging her when she is down.
she has also said she reprioritized...which makes sense after a near death experience.She is a grown woman enough to think about her life on her own,she made a grown up decision to hire Patrick and that worked....even if she was vocal about Patrick that doesnt discount the fact that the embolism situation changed her to rededicate herself to her career...if they part ways with Patrick today Serena will still continue winning just like she won with her parents,Sascha,that guy from Turkey,Mackie and many others....Patrick had no success before Serena but Serena was successful before Patrick:lolz:...
I thought common sense was common:lolz:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I wasn't talking about success. Obviously, Serena was successful before and will be successful after Patrick. You have to be motivated to be successful, but just because you are motivated it doesn't necessarily mean you will be successful. Motivation is a key factor in Serena victories these days. I am going off what Serena says, and she says he has been instrumental in keeping her motivated to play even when she hasn't wanted to play or train. Giving Patrick props doesn't take away from Serena. You are the only person who seems to take offense and try to throw him under a bus when someone offers Patrick a compliment.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I wasn't talking about success. Obviously, Serena was successful before and will be successful after Patrick. You have to be motivated to be successful, but just because you are motivated it doesn't necessarily mean you will be successful. Motivation is a key factor in Serena victories these days. I am going off what Serena says, and she says he has been instrumental in keeping her motivated to play even when she hasn't wanted to play or train. Giving Patrick props doesn't take away from Serena. You are the only person who seems to take offense and try to throw him under a bus when someone offers Patrick a compliment.
you like to pick fights with me for no reason..
bye felicia!:ras:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
twitter verse is going in about the timing of Toronto fireworks after the Serena loss....

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Toronto must be very slow with all these rallys..

ToffeeAlex

Reactions
Rooting for Bencic in the final... Halep will be tough of course but I think she can step up to the occasion like with Radwanska at Eastbourne.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
She's really giving her dad a mouthful on the changeover. She's extremely disappointed w/ the way the set has gone. Halep on serve 5-4

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
wow Belinda has taken first set..the girl is on fire

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
are they going to light the fireworks again..

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Bencic takes the first set. Can Simona get this to three sets?

She can. The question is does she want to? Will we see the fight or will she just go away?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So does Toronto just bring out crappy tennis in general? I can't say I have enjoyed a single match produced at this tournament. Way too many breaks of serve for my liking.