Roger's Cup (Women) - Toronto

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Who knows we will see in the coming weeks. Her body language and emotions have been very poor this week, so hopefully now she will be happy now that she no longer has to play.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
tossip said:
Patrick destroyed her relationship with Esther in this documentary I am watching on my tv they used to have lots of fun..

Patrick changed alot of things about her team, routine, training, etc. It was his way or the highway. She chose to stay w/ him.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well one can't argue with results. She has netted 8 slams under his guidance with a chance to help her get a few more. Patrick also isn't one to mince words with anyone, so if there was a falling out, it has to do with respect shown. Patrick expects manners and civility, and he is someone who won't tolerate disrespect from anyone.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
in this docu it seems Oracene s family benefited more from the sisters wealth than Richard s....very interesting

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
wow Sascha was like a butler in Serena s life...but they had a great relationship

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Well one can't argue with results. She has netted 8 slams under his guidance with a chance to help her get a few more. Patrick also isn't one to mince words with anyone, so if there was a falling out, it has to do with respect shown. Patrick expects manners and civility, and he is someone who won't tolerate disrespect from anyone.
I honestly believe he's the reason she's so motivated these days. I mean she's been #1 for 2.5 years in her 30s, w/ a very good chance of making it 3 years. That's unheard of.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well they usually figure things out before a slam, so she made it to the semis like she did last year and pushed it to three sets in her loss playing bi-polar tennis so no complaints.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Esther and the sisters were close...just sad that they parted ways

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
wow the 18yr old beat mighty serena, big win for Belinda,

Williams can focus on usopen grand slam, wonder what Steffi graf's thoughts are on it ? seeing as she was last to do the amazing feat.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the match was on Serena s racket period....Serena lost the match she beat herself.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Unbelievable, topsy turvy match today. Congrats to Bencic for actually finishing the job, instead of joining the ever growing list of players who almost beat Sererna, :clap

I believe this is actually a blessing in disguise for Serena. Career Grand Slam is more important. It is better to release some pressure off by losing (of course, not intentionally) before that. It would be too burdensome to carry another long match winning streak on top of the CGS pressure. Besides, a loss will keep her more centered going in to the USO.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Was rooting for Bencic to play a good match but never expected her to win! :eyepop

This is probably a blessing in disguise for Serena. Slowly work up to that Slam.

And a blessing for us too since we hopefully won't see that leftover ensemble she wore in Toronto. :cover

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Was rooting for Bencic to play a good match but never expected her to win! :eyepop

This is probably a blessing in disguise for Serena. Slowly work up to that Slam.

And a blessing for us too since we hopefully won't see that leftover ensemble she wore in Toronto. :cover

Well she won although I don't think she played a good match, Serena however was much worse.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
colleen66 said:
Kirijax said:

Well she won although I don't think she played a good match, Serena however was much worse.

I still have to watch the match but from what I'm hearing you're right. Serena just gave that match away. What happened after she was leading the first set 5-1? Just lose interest?

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Just watched the highlights but Bencic played great. Serena looked really lethargic out there but Bencic really played some great tennis.

What was the fireworks at the end all about? :huh:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That's a surprise, to wake up and Serena lost, but it won't do her any harm to get a defeat out of the way, ease a little of the huge expectations on her, before the USO...

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
I honestly believe he's the reason she's so motivated these days. I mean she's been #1 for 2.5 years in her 30s, w/ a very good chance of making it 3 years. That's unheard of.

I completely agree. Her motivation changed a lot under him. For much of her career Serena would stay motivated towards a goal and then once she reached it she would kind of wane for a bit before having another goal. Whether it was coming back after an injury or proving the haters wrong she would do really really really well against big odds for about 8-14 months, then kind of fade again. Under Patrick it's been a sustained motivation for a LONG time.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
I think this loss is a good thing I wouldn't even mind if she lost Cincy. I think she just needs some match play to stay fresh for the open but really only one title matters at this point.