Roger should send Novak flowers

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
While both Nishikori and Dimitrov both played Nadal tough, it wasn't enough. And let's not even talk about Fed's disappointing performance against him (again). It's become crystal clear that the ONLY player who can challenge Nadal on a consistent basis is Novak, and he's been having 5th set jitters in most of the grand slams over the past couple of years. Novak is Roger's only defense against Nadal breaking his GS record, so maybe it's not too late to invite Nole and his family over for a gluten-free BBQ?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
There's no saying Roger would've beaten Novak anyway or that Novak would've beaten Rafa. On each individual day neither played their best. Novak was poor against Wawrinka, Roger was poor against Rafa and before that Rafa was poor against Nishikori and Dimitrov.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
lacatch said:
While both Nishikori and Dimitrov both played Nadal tough, it wasn't enough. And let's not even talk about Fed's disappointing performance against him (again). It's become crystal clear that the ONLY player who can challenge Nadal on a consistent basis is Novak, and he's been having 5th set jitters in most of the grand slams over the past couple of years. Novak is Roger's only defense against Nadal breaking his GS record, so maybe it's not too late to invite Nole and his family over for a gluten-free BBQ?

This post made me crack up from the moment I read the title. So true.

Nadal would already be at 16 for sure if it wasn't for Djokovic.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fed's only hope now for the record not to be broken is that Djokovic goes on a 2011-like tear and completely re-takes control of that series.

Djokovic has to be upset with himself right now.....

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Not necessarily. The record may be equaled but it'll still take some work to break it. Also, Nadal's been losing early at Wimbledon the past 2 years and who knows who's gonna win the US Open. Nadal's still the favourite at the French of course. If he wins here and he likely will he has 14. To break it needs 4 more slams. 3 if he wins the French Open.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Not necessarily. The record may be equaled but it'll still take some work to break it. Also, Nadal's been losing early at Wimbledon the past 2 years and who knows who's gonna win the US Open. Nadal's still the favourite at the French of course. If he wins here and he likely will he has 14. To break it needs 4 more slams. 3 if he wins the French Open.

And who on earth is going to stop that besides Djokovic (or Delpo/Murray, who are both often MIA)?

The record is all but broken after today, I'm afraid. You'd better hope Djokovic goes on a tear the next two years because that is all that is stopping Nadal from getting to #18.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
Front242 said:

And who on earth is going to stop that besides Djokovic (or Delpo/Murray, who are both often MIA)?

The record is all but broken after today, I'm afraid. You'd better hope Djokovic goes on a tear the next two years because that is all that is stopping Nadal from getting to #18.

That's nonsense. Don't forget Murray isn't back to his best yet and on any given day in any slam upsets can happen. To put things in perspective, how many people expected Serena Williams to win this year's AO? But guess what, she didn't.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The record is in the bag for Rafa. People don't realize that he will be the #1 or #2 favorite at the French for the next 5+ years. He doesn't even need to move well on that surface to be overwhelming favorite over everyone except Nole. 3 slams is nothing, that's just 1 great year or 2 good ones. The record is done and dusted, this was Roger's last stand. And what a pathetic effort it was.

Only himself to blame, the stupendous 2-9 in slams vs. Rafa and all the other countless late slam disasters (Safin 05, DP 09, Djoker 2010 and 2011 USO, Berd 2012 USO). Roger should have reached 20+ in his career but wasn't tough in the biggest moments when it came to crunch time.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
You never know what may happen next year or so in terms of early exits for Nadal so there's no saying Fed can't up his slam count too. If he was playing anyone else but Nadal today he'd likely be in the final and then he'd surely be a heavy favourite against a non big four player besides Tsonga and Berdych if they hypothetically made the final.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
The record is in the bag for Rafa. People don't realize that he will be the #1 or #2 favorite at the French for the next 5+ years. He doesn't even need to move well on that surface to be overwhelming favorite over everyone except Nole. 3 slams is nothing, that's just 1 great year or 2 good ones. The record is done and dusted, this was Roger's last stand. And what a pathetic effort it was.

Only himself to blame, the stupendous 2-9 in slams vs. Rafa and all the other countless late slam disasters (Safin 05, DP 09, Djoker 2010 and 2011 USO, Berd 2012 USO). Roger should have reached 20+ in his career but wasn't tough in the biggest moments when it came to crunch time.

Truth.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:

Honestly Front, considering Ralf's h2h over the present "goat", and how much time he's missed do to injuries, if he ties Roger at 17, I think that will be enough to put him on top... imo.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Front242 said:

Honestly Front, considering Ralf's h2h over the present "goat", and how much time he's missed do to injuries, if he ties Roger at 17, I think that will be enough to put him on top... imo.

The thought had crossed my mind but then you could argue Federer's record versus the field is better and that his longevity over the years is outstanding having never been out for any long period of time. We need to wait till both have retired and last matches have been played to weigh everything up. And of course as I mentioned earlier, there's no saying Roger won't get lucky and win another slam if Nadal gets knocked out early. It can happen, like Wimbledon for instance. Mind you the Fedster wasn't exactly in the running for winning there last year either!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
You never know what may happen next year or so in terms of early exits for Nadal so there's no saying Fed can't up his slam count too. If he was playing anyone else but Nadal today he'd likely be in the final and then he'd surely be a heavy favourite against a non big four player besides Tsonga and Berdych if they hypothetically made the final.

We will see about Roger, he is still a big question mark after today. He took a step forward and a step back in this tournament and ultimately he crashed out of the semifinal last year too. Most already knew he was still capable of playing great tennis but consistency is an issue and it reared its ugly head today. He is still unlikely to be top 4 by Wimbledon and Murray will be a lot tougher to deal with there as well.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, if Murray gets back in top form he's the favourite at Wimbledon no doubt about it. Another slam is definitely possible if he plays at the level of the Tsonga and Murray matches but he'd also be relying on not playing Nadal. I think Murray at Wimbledon may be too much for him now if he gets back to full form but you never know. I'd be pretty confident in Fed's chances against Djokovic still at Wimbledon though.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Yeah, if Murray gets back in top form he's the favourite at Wimbledon no doubt about it. Another slam is definitely possible if he plays at the level of the Tsonga and Murray matches but he'd also be relying on not playing Nadal. I think Murray at Wimbledon may be too much for him now if he gets back to full form but you never know. I'd be pretty confident in Fed's chances against Djokovic still at Wimbledon though.

Yeah at this point Roger is becoming the lovable loser I most feared he'd become. Obviously the non fans love this state of Roger but it is tough to watch as a fan. I think Wimbledon is the last chance to do anything. But after today I have a bad feeling that we are still in for 2013 like play for the most part.

Goldenboy

Futures Player
Reactions
I am a Rafa fan but Roger is my 2nd favorite player.

All I ask of Roger-only fans is that don't wish injuries on Rafa to stop him getting the record.

As for the record itself, a lot has to go right for Rafa to get it. Besides, Roger may still win Wimbledon or US Open again. All it needs is a good draw for him and a bad one for Rafa.

I'm not sure how Rafa will age over the next 2-3 years. If he beats Stan on Sunday it will seem closer.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
roger needs to get fair mirka some flowers more like, after having to watch that sf v rafa.

gloomy mirka was so stunned and woebegone she wasn't even chewing gum or messing about on her i-phone.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Goldenboy said:
I am a Rafa fan but Roger is my 2nd favorite player.

All I ask of Roger-only fans is that don't wish injuries on Rafa to stop him getting the record.

As for the record itself, a lot has to go right for Rafa to get it. Besides, Roger may still win Wimbledon or US Open again. All it needs is a good draw for him and a bad one for Rafa.

I'm not sure how Rafa will age over the next 2-3 years. If he beats Stan on Sunday it will seem closer.

Wouldn't wish that on anyone but remember the only thing stopping Rafa playing the AO last year was a virus that caused him to not have any preparation coming in for his first slam since the return. Otherwise he'd have missed just 1 slam since losing to Rosol. It's all a bit blown out of proportion with all the time he's been off. He still has plenty of time left and his knee is fine now or so he says so there's nothing for him or fans to worry about there.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
And don't forget he owes a lot to Roger for getting to the number he has now for being such an easy out in so many of their encounters ;)

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
And don't forget he owes a lot to Roger for getting to the number he has now for being such an easy out in so many of their encounters ;)

Sad but true. 2011 RG is the perfect example. Roger was so kind to take out Novak in the semis for Rafa, only to bend over in the final.