Roger Federer Announces Retirement

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
I will always believe that had Federer won the 2019 Wimbledon final over Djokovic, he would have retired on top immediately following the match. Federer had very little left in the tank after that, and I think he even knew that (even if he is reluctant to admit it). I will treat any appearance after the 2019 Wimbledon final as Federer's farewell to the slams.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
All good things come to an end. Father Time is relentless, but it was a great journey - lots of fun. Lots of friends and foes made (mainly friends, and foes that became friends or acquaintances) over incarnations of tennis forums over the years. Hasta La Vista!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
His treat mentioned that he will still be playing..is that just exhibitions or something like IW, Miami , Cincy and Basel?...he deserves well heck we deserve to see him live one more time.. FINGERS CROSSED

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was trying to think of the moment I became a Federer fan... I do recall the Sampras match in 2001 at Wimbledon, and thinking "Wow, this kid can play", and he had that beautiful single handed backhand that reminded me a little of Stefan Edberg (a big former fave, who would later coach Fed for a while) and not only that - he could really drill that backhand - cross court and down the line... supplemented by the fact he had the balls to see out a win against Pete (the defending champion and 7 times winner) on Centre Court. He was a keeper and one to watch.

At the time, I was rooting for Marat Safin, and didn't completely jump ship until he retired, but Federer was mesmerising in that 2003-2008 period. Safin got him at the AO in 2005 and faded into oblivion (travesty of talent against return on investment) thereafter. When he retired, it was Federer all the way.

The 2008 Wimbledon final was one of, if not the greatest match I've ever seen. It almost felt like the passing of the torch from Federer to Nadal. Players weren't expected to have the longevity t that we later became accustomed to (spoilt by). Yet, 9 years later, Federer was beating Nadal in the AO final... which also ranks in the same category of timeless classics.

When Federer won his last major in 2018 v Cilic, I remember conversations with other "Fedees" and stating he's won, but he's done. He's left it all out there. Nearly proved wrong by the 2019 Wimbledon final by Djoker, but he'd lost that mental edge - in his prime, that match would have been put to bed. Edberg said it's the mind that goes first.

Graceful champion, tennis legend.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
First, greetings to all the friends. It's been a while. Life...
I felt like dropping by and saying how much I will miss Roger and how grateful I am that of the 5 billion years of our planet's history, I was lucky enough to exist at the same time with him. To me he played tennis better than anyone did anything else. With class, style, respect for the game. But time does not stop for anyone. I hope he will enjoy the next chapter of his life with his wife and kids. Thank you champ !
And Vamos Carlos I guess ;-):

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
First, greetings to all the friends. It's been a while. Life...
I felt like dropping by and saying how much I will miss Roger and how grateful I am that of the 5 billion years of our planet's history, I was lucky enough to exist at the same time with him. To me he played tennis better than anyone did anything else. With class, style, respect for the game. But time does not stop for anyone. I hope he will enjoy the next chapter of his life with his wife and kids. Thank you champ !
And Vamos Carlos I guess ;-):
The word "Vamos" should be banned from the Federer retirement thread. Mods, please. Good to see you old sport.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
A poster mentioned that Roger elevated the game.. Such a accurate statement. Prior to watching Roger, I thought I was hitting the ball correctly but I quickly realized that I needed to emulate Roger's perfect techniques if I wanted to cut down on my UFEs. Roger's style is so smooth and fluid that it will transcend generations. If some of you all are avid tennis players like myself, try to hit the ball like Federer and your results will change. Peace and Roger is one of the GOATS regardless whomever has the all time GS titles total.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
When I read Roger had a set back again with his knee again, I am not surprised he is retiring.
Thank you Roger for all your contributions to tennis both on and off the court.You will be missed!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vince Evert

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
End of an era. I think we all knew in our hearts that it was over after 2019 Wimbledon, so this isn't surprising but still hits the gut, nonetheless. I would have loved to see him make one final run next year, but in a way I'm glad, so we get to avoid more heartbreak! He'll always be one of the very greatest to ever play the game, with just a few guys in the same league. Thank you, Roger, for being what you are, and an inspiration to all who ever saw you play (and those who played against you!).

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I will always believe that had Federer won the 2019 Wimbledon final over Djokovic, he would have retired on top immediately following the match. Federer had very little left in the tank after that, and I think he even knew that (even if he is reluctant to admit it). I will treat any appearance after the 2019 Wimbledon final as Federer's farewell to the slams.

I wanted him to have that kind of glorious exit in 2012 after winning Wimbledon! Unfortunately he toiled for 5+ years just to add 3 more majors! He had another chance to leave the tour on top after winning 2017 Wimbledon, but his ego wouldn't permit it! Now he's literally "limping out" and w/ not so glorious an exit! He could have solidiifed his legacy and greatness if he had left earlier, but this is pitiful IMO! :yawningface: :shushing-face::astonished-face::angry-face::facepalm:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheSicilian

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I wanted him to have that kind of glorious exit in 2012 after winning Wimbledon! Unfortunately he toiled for 5+ years just to add 3 more majors! He had another chance to leave the tour on top after winning 2017 Wimbledon, but his ego wouldn't permit it! Now he's literally "limping out" and w/ not so glorious an exit! He could have solidiifed his legacy and greatness if he had left earlier, but this is pitiful IMO! :yawningface: :shushing-face::astonished-face::angry-face::facepalm:
Just the 3 extra majors! That's more then most players win their whole career. It's a shame he couldn't retire on a positive note but he had an incredible career:clap::good:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Just the 3 extra majors! That's more then most players win their whole career. It's a shame he couldn't retire on a positive note but he had an incredible career:clap::good:

Standards are different and elevated for the Big 3! Taking 3 more majors over 10 years sounds like it's being undermined, but considering he won 3 in a season 3 times, it stands out as a little weak! If he wants to be thought the GOAT, Fed and his fans have to acknowledge this past decade has been a failure in comparison to his earliest results! If Djokovic did this, we all know how it would go for him since he's so unlikeable by "the haters!" When it comes to Roger, his problem is he started being "great" a little later! He upset Sampras at Wimbledon, but he'd been around for a few years already! His GOAT run didn't start until 2003! Both Nadovic impressed as kids taking their 1st major a lot earlier than Roger! I was on board thinking him the best ever, but his records are being demolished by Rafa and Djoker and there's nothing he can do about it! He probably thought those 3 extra majors won would save his legacy! It only postponed the inevitable! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :shushing-face::astonished-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:

• Haha
Reactions: TheSicilian