Roger Federer : Can You Predict His Future

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
what does roger`s future hold going forward?

you have the floor. make good use of it and have fun.

:D:D

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
here you go general darth fed. tell us what you really think.

this is your thread mate.

have at it.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Can I jump in before Darth Fed? Ok, I will.

Federer will retire at some point and most likely be remembered as the greatest player ever.

Do you want the posts to be more specific CD?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I think he has a much better 2014 than this year and if he doesn't that will probably be the end. If he wins a GS next year he might walk away on a high note. If its a year like 2011 where he was in the mix but doesn't win one then I think he continues on.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Iona16 said:
Can I jump in before Darth Fed? Ok, I will.

Federer will retire at some point and most likely be remembered as the greatest player ever.

Do you want the posts to be more specific CD?

jump in anytime you please.

I want this to be a free flowing discussion.

let the discussion take us where it may.

when do you think he will retire?

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I can't. But here is one thing I know. Most "older" guys that have had some sort of resurgence later in their careers had lengthy breaks during their careers, intended or not. Roger had none. He has been playing high quality, intense tennis for over 10 years, none stop. This year , for the most part, he looked like he was running on fumes.

I think a 5-6 month break would help him to re-charge the batteries, work on his game, address the areas he is struggling with, sort out the racket issue...It could even help him figure out if he is still really dedicated to all the hard work that goes with this business. Maybe after 2-3 months, he decides that he does not miss the game at all...Who knows...I just think he needs that break, but I don't think he will take it so, there you go...

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
he took long break after indian wells.

that is not the problem.

the problem is that he refuses to change his game.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
so how long of a break does he need?

you realize that in this sport one has to practice pretty much every single day.

and you train for fitness all year long.

N

NADAL2005RG

Federer will do whatever retired players do, exhibition matches or more charity work etc.

Federer is more suited to exhibition matches than tour matches, because you get more short balls and shorter rallies, and don't have to train much.

It would be fun to hear Federer commentate the Nadal matches in future.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The 2 month break after Indian Wells was not to sort out his game or give his mind a break it was to heal his back. And it didn't fix it. Personally I wouldn't mind at all now if he skipped the rest of the year (yes even the WTF), practiced a lot with the new racquet and put in a few more hours in the gym. Who knows how the semi v Murray in the AO might have gone if Roger's cardio had been better and he wasn't wrecked in set 5. Also, since he says he's reverting to the new racquet now after the US Open he's not going to be used to it enough to do well for the rest of the year.

He needs a lot of practice with it and losing early does not = practice. I'd like to see Annacone work very hard with Fed on pressure situations and work to improve that awful break point conversion rate. Win the point or lose a finger Yakuza style. Just win more damn break points!

Many matches he's played this year and in the past have been decided on that terrible break point conversion rate. When his back isn't bothering him I firmly believe the problems with Roger's game are largely mental and not physical. Granted Mannarino was utter crap in their match but there's no conceivable way Fed could go from playing pretty well there to how he played against Robredo other than mental lack of focus. 2014 can't really be worse than 2013 and I'd hazard a guess he wins more than one title. Only the Halle title this year.... a truly pathethic year. Surely it can only improve on that.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Clay Death said:
he took long break after indian wells.

that is not the problem.

the problem is that he refuses to change his game.

That's 2 months during the season and his back was messed up after Indian Wells. Roger shouldn't play another tournament until Brisbane next year. A long rest physically and, more importantly, mentally is exactly what he needs but I doubt he does it. Roger has absolutely nothing to gain the next few months. He needs to get in the top 4 for draw reasons but aside from that his ranking doesn't matter and if he won all the remaining tournaments he likely still wouldn't be close to #4. Also the fact of the matter is his chances at FO are zero and his chances at AO are very very slim. His years for now on should be centered around peaking for SW 19 and USO.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
There are a number of ways that the next few years could go but one thing is certain: the trajectory of decline is clear, inevitable, and irreversible. The question is whether or not he can rebound, and to what degree. I think he can and will, but the degree is more questionable. I think a long break can and will help him, and it will either be the rest of this year or perhaps the clay season next. I'd like to see him have one more strong run at Wimbledon and/or the US Open next year - those are the only Slams that he still has more than a snowball's chance at. If those go as poorly as this year I think he'll retire. If not, he'll eek it out until the 2016 Olympics, like he says he plans on doing.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think he has to keep playing and keep competing.

the field keeps moving forward and keeps improving. a long break from the sport will finish him off completely.

you cant stay off the train for too long in this sport.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Clay Death said:
so how long of a break does he need?

you realize that in this sport one has to practice pretty much every single day.

and you train for fitness all year long.

Keep this in mind next time you tell us that Nadal needs to skip most hard cour tournaments, essentially suggesting that he becomes a part time player.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Clay Death said:
I think he has to keep playing and keep competing.

the field keeps moving forward and keeps improving. a long break from the sport will finish him off completely.

you cant stay off the train for too long in this sport.

Clay , you DO know that one of the clearest signs of insanity is doing the same things and expecting different results, right? ;)

Like I said at the beginning, and most here seem to agree with, is that Roger needs a meaningful break from the game to sort things out. By that , I don't mean stopping to train, I mean from the tour. Be an outsider for 6 months, watch, analyze, maybe bring another pair of eyes on board, bring another fitness guy to give you a different approach...geared towards your age and fitness. Get comfy with a new stick. And then come back hungry...see what happens. If it works, it works , if not, you say your goodbyes and enjoy the rest of your life, knowing you gave it all and most will remember you as the best ever.

But keep on doing what he is doing obviously is not working.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the fedster needs to settle on a new racquet,

then use the rest of the season to acclimatize..but don't be feeble and go back to his tiny stick if he loses early..stay with his new big frying pan.

so, then..by the time next year starts and he plays in that atp250 event b4 aust open he will have had a good chunk of time since now to get used to it,

and hopefully be ready to play relaxed tennis with it..:idea:

in fact for me that's the only reality Federer has got.

Attachments

• tennis hamster..jpg
    tennis hamster..jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 30

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have never ever suggested that nadal take a break from tennis.

I suggest more practice and more match play on clay in order to stay longer in the sport.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Its worth taking a look at his rest-of-year schedule, according to his website:

Shanghai (ATP 1000): Oct 7-13
Swiss Indoors (ATP 500): Oct 21-27
BNP Masters (ATP 1000): Oct 28-Nov 3

Presumably he'd play in the World Tour Finals Nov 4-11.

When I started writing this I was thinking that I could see him withdraw from Shanghai or Paris or both, but the more I think about it the more I feel he's likely to stay the course. Why? Mainly because I don't think he is willing to give up on the WTF. Withdrawing from Shanghai and Paris would essentially be giving up his top 8 seeding, and I just don't see Roger wanting to skip out on the WTF.

Secondly, he also wants those three tournaments to get acclimated to his racket.

After the WTF, he'll have two months until the Australian Open, or a bit less before the "warm-up" ATP 250s like Qatar. My guess is that he'll decide what to do based upon how he fairs the rest of the reason. Let us not forget that before his loss to Robredo, he was looking pretty good - from his loss to Rafa in the previous tournament through the 3R at the US Open. In other words, there was some positive movement forward from his poor summer. The Robredo loss was disappointing but I don't think its a season (or career) ender.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Clay Death said:
I have never ever suggested that nadal take a break from tennis.

I suggest more practice and more match play on clay in order to stay longer in the sport.

You suggested skipping most hard court tournaments, which constitutes most of the season.