Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
WWW ?? I'm going with La Monf in 4 but not sure at all about it

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:
isabelle said:

Is that a wrestling federation? If so, I'd take Monfils. If we're talking tennis then Fed in 3 or 4.

WWW = Who will win my dear...anyway I guess it'll be a good match

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Gael has a chance if he serves big, he has the sort of grinder/ retriever game that sometimes causes Roger problems. He'll have to do a lot more than he did against Dimi though. If Roger's form holds, I just can't see this being anything other than a 3 or 4 set win. One things for sure, Gael really really needs to win first set (or perhaps one of the first 2). Otherwise he's mental weaknesses will be exposed. I'm a huge fan, and to be honest if Roger wasn't winning this thing, Gael would be next on my list. It would be a real shame if he doesn't bag one of these before his career is over. Talk about wasted talent!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Should be Roger in 3 or 4. I'd rather this be a day match actually. It would play quicker and Monfils would fatigue quicker as well and if he wins it'd also give him good practice for Saturday which will be during the day. Roger plays great at night but with his popularity he almost only plays at night until the semis/finals and I think that doesn't do him any favors.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Should be Roger in 3 or 4. I'd rather this be a day match actually. It would play quicker and Monfils would fatigue quicker as well and if he wins it'd also give him good practice for Saturday which will be during the day. Roger plays great at night but with his popularity he almost only plays at night until the semis/finals and I think that doesn't do him any favors.

Agreed 100% on the night matches not doing him any favors. It's a big shift in conditions from the early rounds and the others who reach the latter stages have an advantage actually because of this.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
(I hope he loses, but that's just a nice dream) Roger wins this in three.

Interesting. Do you fear Roger vs your guy?

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
nehmeth said:
(I hope he loses, but that's just a nice dream) Roger wins this in three.

Interesting. Do you fear Roger vs your guy?

No. I just don't like Roger. The only things that concern me for Novak are:
1. His own focus
2. A particularly difficult gauntlet of back to back matches.
3. Rafa in a slam final

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh wow! I never realised you didn't like him. Of course I know you're a Novak fan, but I thought you were fairly neutral about the others :)

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
Oh wow! I never realised you didn't like him. Of course I know you're a Novak fan, but I thought you were fairly neutral about the others :)

I have too many friends here that love the guy to bash him. But you can ask Murat, I was going to ship my Dad (a fedfan) up to watch a Djoker/Fed final with him. Maybe I've mellowed in my commentary, but not neutral in heart by any means.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
haha! I can understand that! I can't say I dislike any player. I don't like some of the things that surround Rafa (no point getting into it, it's well documented). I used to dislike Novak, but that was more to do with his parents, but I really like the guy now. Obviously I'll support Roger over him every day and Sunday :) Murray can irritate me on occasion but I really warmed to him when he had his little cry after his loss to Roger. For me, it's more about player styles. For example I'm going to support Murray over Novak (for Rogers sake), but if I was actually able to watch the match live, I would inevitably switch to Novak because he's more entertaining for me to watch.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
OMG, you would do that to "good ol' pops" just ship him somewhere?:D

I am surprised that Fed fans are so dismissive of other players as if Federer makes final after final of majors in recent years.

Based on the form from previous matches here, Monfils should have this in 3 or 4. Besides he is very "'appy" at the moment. He played amazingly vs Dimitrov. If he doesn't play like that and Federer raises his level, then it is a different story. It has a potential to be a very entertaining match.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Speaking as a Fed fan, I'm certainly not dismissive of Gael (my second fav player still standing). Gael definitely has it in him to win this match. If any of us are being dismissive, it's because we believe that if Roger is playing well he takes this one with minimum fuss. Frankly I'm of the belief that Roger playing well - even at this stage in his career - beats the field, apart from Novak and Rafa, 6 to 7 times out of 10 (and I'm including Murray in the "field")

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Billie said:
OMG, you would do that to "good ol' pops" just ship him somewhere? :D

Billie, you know me... if Dad is cheering for Rodge over Nole?? Heck yes! ;)

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Billie said:

He is so sweet, even if he is cheering for Fed:D Besides I am sure you gloat a bit after Nole beats Federer.:snigger

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
For me, it's more about player styles.

If that were my case, Roger would be my all time fave then. It's the way I was taught the game should be played.

But I love Rafa's fight, his heart, his utter unwillingness to lose. You have to beat him.

I love what I've learned and know about Novak the person, not the tennis player. Those things are extraneous for some, but they're the places where I connect with a player. So, I have resigned myself to being buckled in on the Nolecoaster, wherever it happens to take us.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Billie said:
nehmeth said:
Billie said:

He is so sweet, even if he is cheering for Fed:D Besides I am sure you gloat a bit after Nole beats Federer.:snigger

ALL THE TIME!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Billie said:
OMG, you would do that to "good ol' pops" just ship him somewhere?:D

I am surprised that Fed fans are so dismissive of other players as if Federer makes final after final of majors in recent years.

Based on the form from previous matches here, Monfils should have this in 3 or 4. Besides he is very "'appy" at the moment. He played amazingly vs Dimitrov. If he doesn't play like that and Federer raises his level, then it is a different story. It has a potential to be a very entertaining match.

Based on form Roger is trouncing him my dear ;) Dimitrov is not the Roger we've been seeing...

If Roger shows up erratic then this becomes a potentially tough match, we know Gael will get a lot back in play.