• Poll closed .

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I guess Federer'll win excepted if his marathon vs La Monf left traces

BalaryKar

Futures Player
Reactions
With the H2H at 5-0 in Fed's favor, and Cilic winning two sets till date, and the most recent win just about a month back, I would bet on Fed. Cilic needs to set up a clinic to make it close and a la monfils style to go up 2-0. Anything else, Fed should be home in 4.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I picked Fed in 5. I think he survives, but he has hardly been impressive here and Cilic has been impressive by his normal standard.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
As I said about the Monfils match, if Federer plays well he wins. That's the variable here. Unfortunately he's not as dependable as he used to be!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
A couple things to note will be how does Federer adjust to playing at day. He has only had 1/3 of a match during the day this whole event (Granola which became a night match after the rain) and is there any effect from last night's 5 setter? I don't think Cilic necessarily has to win the first 2 sets to have a chance at the upset unlike Monfils last night. I think Roger in 4.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
A couple things to note will be how does Federer adjust to playing at day. He has only had 1/3 of a match during the day this whole event (Granola which became a night match after the rain) and is there any effect from last night's 5 setter? I don't think Cilic necessarily has to win the first 2 sets to have a chance at the upset unlike Monfils last night. I think Roger in 4.

Totally agree. And he was very wobbly at least to start off with. That worries more than anything. But usually when Roger has had a bad spell he comes out better next time. Fingers crossed! His basic form has been excellent in the last month, here's hoping that continues. His first serve percentage simply has to improve

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I caught the first few games of the match yesterday before the Packers game and could tell he was a little erratic and it was very windy. Agree about the 1st serve, even before yesterday it hasn't been a good %. He found a good rhythm in the 5th but it helps when your opponent checks out.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
I caught the first few games of the match yesterday before the Packers game and could tell he was a little erratic and it was very windy. Agree about the 1st serve, even before yesterday it hasn't been a good %. He found a good rhythm in the 5th but it helps when your opponent checks out.

Yeah, a carbon copy almost of the 5th set disgrace against Murray at RG earlier this year. Both times Monfils made them look like they were playing way better than they were by winning 0 games against Murray and 2 against Federer. Not like Roger turned into TMF there. Monfils just reverted to Kermit the frog.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Wow! Everyone's so harsh on Gael. I think this one's a bit more excusable than at RG. Mental weakness? Yes absolutely. Not trying or clowning? Very harsh

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
^Wow! Everyone's so harsh on Gael. I think this one's a bit more excusable than at RG. Mental weakness? Yes absolutely. Not trying or clowning? Very harsh

Yes, winning 2 games is clearly better than none so yesterday wasn't as bad but still didn't strike me as very impressive. The match was 100% level at that stage and it took just 1 set to decide it. Surely he could've mustered up a bit more than he did. RG though was a total disgrace as he had all the momentum in the world winning 2 straight sets and he won the 4th 6-1. I'm not exaggerating, the 5th set against Murray there took 10 minutes. That was 100% embarrassingly bad.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
federberg said:

Yes, winning 2 games is clearly better than none so yesterday wasn't as bad but still didn't strike me as very impressive. The match was 100% level at that stage and it took just 1 set to decide it. Surely he could've mustered up a bit more than he did. RG though was a total disgrace as he had all the momentum in the world winning 2 straight sets and he won the 4th 6-1. I'm not exaggerating, the 5th set against Murray there took 10 minutes. That was 100% embarrassingly bad.

Yes that's exactly my point. He had momentum in his favour at RG. Here I think we can be a bit more understanding about being unable to reset after the devastation of messing up 2 match points. I don't see an essential difference between his losing the 5th set here to Roger losing after having match points against Novak. I don't recall people calling Roger a clown for failing in the 5th then!

What happened in RG was of an entirely different stripe.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Yeah but Roger lost that set in both those USO matches 7-5 not 6-2. Still miles apart.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:

It's a lot more excusable than RG. In that match Monfils had rallied from 2 sets down and it wasn't that long of a match and suddenly he lost a 15 minute 5th set or something like that.

What happened yesterday isn't exactly exclusive to Monfils. A lot of players will get blown out in the 5th if they lose a 2 sets lead especially if they had match points. But Monfils effort is what you can criticize. It looked like he just gave up.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I hope folks aren't coming to that judgement based on that front tweener attempt. Have a look at it again. There was a lot of depth on that volley, and it knifed right at him. I'm not sure what he could have done. But I'll accept that I only watched the last set and a half so maybe I'm missing the overall flow of the match. Still, it seems a bit harsh to say he gave up from what I saw

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well he clearly gave up against Murray which was bizarre and unacceptable. Like most I cut him a bit more slack against Federer as the blown match points must've played a part but either way he didn't look to be even hitting the balls as hard as before and looked plain disinterested. Roger was hardly playing amazing so the match was still very much there for the taking.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I remember the last time Roger beat Novak here, in 2009 I think. In the last few games it was very obvious that Novak had checked out. I'm just trying to add some perspective here. I actually think that Gael made huge strides in this tournament. Yes a soft 5th set, but if this performance doesn't make him realise that when he brings it, he can beat anyone, nothing will! I for one would love to see him perform. He has a slam in him if he gets his sh1t together

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
A slam? Nah. The only slamming he'll be doing if he has any pride is slamming his head against the wall for falling apart against Murray at RG (way worse than the Fed match) and failing to realize that though Roger evened the match yesterday, it was just that in the 5th...100% even. Not gonna expend too much to win one measly set and he stopped hitting with any purpose completely. Started moonballing instead of hitting hard.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
^ I hope folks aren't coming to that judgement based on that front tweener attempt. Have a look at it again. There was a lot of depth on that volley, and it knifed right at him. I'm not sure what he could have done. But I'll accept that I only watched the last set and a half so maybe I'm missing the overall flow of the match. Still, it seems a bit harsh to say he gave up from what I saw

I'm not making that judgment off that one shot but just the body language and movement. I don't think he was physically exhausted but it just looked like he stopped trying out there.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, the body language at RG was 10 times worse.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
I remember the last time Roger beat Novak here, in 2009 I think. In the last few games it was very obvious that Novak had checked out. I'm just trying to add some perspective here. I actually think that Gael made huge strides in this tournament. Yes a soft 5th set, but if this performance doesn't make him realise that when he brings it, he can beat anyone, nothing will! I for one would love to see him perform. He has a slam in him if he gets his sh1t together

I don't remember thinking Nole checked out of that match. He didn't move for the last return at 0-40 right after the tweener though. It was 7-6, 7-5, 7-5 I think. Nole just didn't win any of the big points.