isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Damned, La Monf wasted 2 MP....that's life but it's a pity

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
Roger was motivated by the disgusting ovation the classless fans gave him in the middle of the match .I hope Djokovic makes him cry again...

God forbid they cheer for a player at a tennis match...classless :cover:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't see any issue with criticizing Monfils' 5th set effort. I think it was 2-1 Federer at 15-15 when Monfils had enough time to move his feet for a forehand pass and instead elected to try a between the legs shot that didn't even reach the net. That kind of says it all for him. Monfils can't truly be 100% serious it seems. I guess if you're a fan you can be satisfied if he is focused more than half the time.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Its a Damn shame from what I heard about how Monfils finished this match afterwards of being up 2 sets to love, 2 mps.. What a complete waste of an golden opportunity.. I will Never watch him play without thinking that he needs to be on some traveling tennis circus.. I done ever trusting him

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
I don't see any issue with criticizing Monfils' 5th set effort. I think it was 2-1 Federer at 15-15 when Monfils had enough time to move his feet for a forehand pass and instead elected to try a between the legs shot that didn't even reach the net. That kind of says it all for him. Monfils can't truly be 100% serious it seems. I guess if you're a fan you can be satisfied if he is focused more than half the time.

I think I know the shot you mean. I'm not sure he had the time to be honest. Exhaustion can do strange things to the decision making process. That sort of attempt in a 5th set is less blame worthy than if he'd done it in sets 1 or 2 in my opinion

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
DarthFed said:

I think I know the shot you mean. I'm not sure he had the time to be honest. Exhaustion can do strange things to the decision making process. That sort of attempt in a 5th set is less blame worthy than if he'd done it in sets 1 or 2 in my opinion

It would not have been an easy shot as it was deep, not saying he had the point in the bag or anything but he could have at least given himself a chance. I could be wrong about it being at 2-1 though, might have been 4-1...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
federberg said:
DarthFed said:

It would not have been an easy shot as it was deep, not saying he had the point in the bag or anything but he could have at least given himself a chance. I could be wrong about it being at 2-1 though, might have been 4-1...

Yup. It landed about a yard from the baseline. I really don't think there was much he could have done. Even the likes of Novak and Rafa would have struggled to do anything effective with that shot (I'm sure they would have managed to get it into play), but given his physical/mental/emotional exhaustion, I think he can be excused for a poor attempt at a reflex shot. My basic point is that if it had been in the first 2 sets when he was fresh then I would totally agree that he was showboating. But 5th set? Harsh..

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
House said:
So bickering and passive aggressiveness aside.

Yay for Roger. Tough loss for the Frenchman, but he played well. Roger just asserted himself the last three sets, and even then Gael had match points.

Don't really buy into the boo-hooing from other Fed fans about the match being 5 sets. It wasn't a very taxing match, conditions weren't too rough, and despite the length it ended at a decent hour. Fed will be fine.

The alternative is he doesn't play at all. Though I guess that would then rob the ability to be pessimistic about Fed for the rest of the Open. Which would be a huge bummer, I imagine, for those who compare Roger to Brett Farve, and feel embarrassed watching him.

Hopefully it's the dumbest thing I type all week.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
DarthFed said:
5 sets is never good for someone Roger's age. He worked links out a long time ago, all about going out there and playing well from the start especially at his age.

That was a quick 5 sets though. I'm not sure it's going to be a problem. What's more important is getting back to playing good tennis. Not sure if that was the wind, a bad day at the office, but the stats didn't look great for serving and his forehand. His two money shots. Still I'm very concerned about the Cilic match now. He has to dramatically improve or he's going home

I don't think the 5 set will be a physical problem. However, these things take a mental toll
as well. You cannot continue live life on the edge all the time. Hope, he gets it done quickly
against Cilic.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can't see Roger going more than four sets against the tall Croat. Marin will be understandably anxious about this match and has not fared well against Roger over the years. Yes, he is playing well, but I can't see his flat strokes doing damage against a resurgent Fed who is moving exceptionally well. Furthermore, Fed's biting slice BH tends to pay dividends against Cilic more so than a lot of other top players.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
-FG- said:
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Wow, that was very fast tented, I am impressed.

This question came up a few years ago, so I saved the info in a text file, knowing it would come up again ... and it did.
Djokovic's US Open 2011 win needs to be added to the list. Aside from that I don't think there were occations where the eventual winner had to save a match point along the way in recent years, but it often came pretty close.

Thanks, FG. That shows how long ago the list was compiled since Novak's 2011 run isn't on it!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Wow, that was very fast tented, I am impressed.

This question came up a few years ago, so I saved the info in a text file, knowing it would come up again ... and it did.

You saved a lot of time for me; i was planning to dig up on that.

Ah, and Roger has already done this before as his name appears in your list. Nothing new
to him, "been there done that" is the response for everything

His name is on the list, but in a bad way: Safin saved a match point in the AO '05 semifinal against Roger, then won the tournament.

So, if Roger wins the USO, he joins the list of players who have survived MP against, and gone on to win the tournament?

Since it's a list of players who have survived MP, and gone on to win the tournament, yes.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I've moved all posts about the name-calling rumor to the Frontier Chat Bar, beginning on this page:

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=926&page=39

Please continue discussing that stuff there, and reserve this thread for discussion of the match itself.

Thank you!