The GOAT
Reactions
Re: 2014 USO Mens semifinal : Federer v Cilic

As a Serena fan it wont be wonferful

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
lindseywagners said:
How would have Federer in his prime have fared today? It seemed like Cilic was playing at an exceptionally high level, almost like a Safin AO 2005. Maybe I'm wrong.

Well his forehand was way better in his prime as was his confidence but he sure would'nt have lost in 3 even if he still lost.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Anyway I will be watching the womens doubles match it should be a beauty

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Auburn looses to San Jose State today, I might commit suicide.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
lindseywagners said:
How would have Federer in his prime have fared today? It seemed like Cilic was playing at an exceptionally high level, almost like a Safin AO 2005. Maybe I'm wrong.

Cilic's level was very close to Marat's. Might even be better. He was only broken the one time and immediately got back on track. He gets huge kudos for pulling this match off in straights no less.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

After what happened today I think Serena will come in focused watching both favored finalists lose badly today

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
lindseywagners said:

Cilic's level was very close to Marat's. Might even be better. He was only broken the one time and immediately got back on track. He gets huge kudos for pulling this match off in straights no less.

Served it out like a champ. No stumble.

lindseywagners

Futures Player
Reactions
kskate2 said:
lindseywagners said:

Thanks for responding. Good point about the straight sets. There was no let down from him throughout it seemed - always on track.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't know about other fedfans. Unlike Nole fans from earlier match,
I give Marin 100% credit. He did everything fine. Most importantly, he had out of
the world serve in today's match. He lost just 6 points of first serve in the whole
match and just 2 in the first two sets put together. Moreover, he had very good
winning percentage on his second serves also.

He had no hick ups in closing. He stayed focused throughout the match. He returned
well and his groundie winners were very good as well.

Congratulations on a fully deserved victory, Marin. :clap:clap:clap

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It was a stupendous performance and one many have been waiting for him to live up to. He was playing power tennis a la Safin. Jnreal

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a great opportunity lost for Fed. No Rafa, No Murray, No Novak, nice time to steal
a GS.

May be Fed would have played little better if he had gotten of the court sooner in QF,
but I still think he would not have won against this Marin with Bomb serves.

Anyway, I think this is it. Fed will NEVER WIN another slam except possibly in Wimbledon.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Detailed point by point rundown with photos http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/tennis/29010919

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
This is a great opportunity lost for Fed. No Rafa, No Murray, No Novak, nice time to steal
a GS.

May be Fed would have played little better if he had gotten of the court sooner in QF,

Anyway, I think this is it. Fed will NEVER WIN another slam except possibly in Wimbledon.

The one thing that's apparent from this tournament is that it's from now on going to be a whole lot more difficult for ANY of the top players to win slams from now with the emergence of so many contenders. The bookies made a fortune today. An absolute ton of money lost by millions worldwide. If Kei remains fit, Cilic keeps serving and playing like he is now and if Kyrgios improves, with the way the top guns are out of it somewhat, we may see others winning slams next year also. So in that case, so much for 18, 15, 8 and 3.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
lindseywagners said:

That's impossible to answer. The fact is Roger moved so much better then. His forehand had waaay more pop. And he had much more confidence. But to me, it's like asking, what would peak Sampras have done against Safin?

The truth is that Marin didn't bring anything new in terms of tennis technique. He played big and won big, rightfully so! This isn't like Mac failing to adjust to new racquet technology. It's just life.. you get old and slower and young lions come and steal the pride right from under you

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
a GS.

The one thing that's apparent from this tournament is that it's from now on going to be a whole lot more difficult for ANY of the top players to win slams from now with the emergence of so many contenders. The bookies made a fortune today. An absolute ton of money lost by millions worldwide. If Kei remains fit, Cilic keeps serving and playing like he is now and if Kyrgios improves, with the way the top guns are out of it somewhat, we may see others winning slams next year also. So in that case, so much for 18, 15, 8 and 3.

I, for one, wouldn't be too upset if none of the big 4 ever won another slam! :lolz:

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I don't know about other fedfans. Unlike Nole fans from earlier match,
I give Marin 100% credit. He did everything fine. Most importantly, he had out of
the world serve in today's match. He lost just 6 points of first serve in the whole
match and just 2 in the first two sets put together. Moreover, he had very good
winning percentage on his second serves also.

He had no hick ups in closing. He stayed focused throughout the match. He returned
well and his groundie winners were very good as well.

Congratulations on a fully deserved victory, Marin. :clap:clap:clap

:rolleyes:

:clap

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
So how much did the following results contribute to what we saw today, as the invincible factor of the big four was worn down?

Nadal's losses to Rosol and Darcis at Wimbledon
Federer's 2013 performances
Nadal's loss to Wawrinka to allow a 'usurper' to lift a major title
Murray's 2014 performances