Novak: 200+ Weeks at #1...how many will he end up with?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
While it was a foregone conclusion, Novak has officially surpassed 200 weeks at #1, or 99 weeks in a row currently. He could probably coast for the rest of the year and finish with ~225.

So first of all, congrats to Novak - you're in rare company:
302 Roger Federer
286 Pete Sampras
270 Ivan Lendl
268 Jimmy Connors
201 Novak Djokovic
170 John McEnroe
141 Rafael Nadal
109 Bjorn Borg
101 Andre Agassi

So next up: how many do you think he'll end his career with? As I said, he'll coast to 225ish. Then he should hold steady for much, most, or even all of next year. I mean, who would he lose it to? As of this moment, there are no young players on the cusp of challenging for the #1 spot; he only loses it to Andy if he is injured, and no one else is really a candidate to challenge. But you never know. So let's say he gets another 40-52 next year to end 2017 with 265-280ish. Then in 2018, when he turns 31, I could see the #1 ranking being passed around a bit, but even so he has a very good chance of getting the necessary 20-35ish needed to pass Roger.

In other words, getting into the 250-300 range is very likely, and getting over 300 a distinct possibility. I don't want to guess an exactly number, but I would probably put it somewhere in the 280-330 range and give him about even odds of passing Roger. He'll also likely be the sixth player of the ATP era to be #1 at 30-years old, after John Newcombe, Jimmy Connors, Ivan Lendl, Andre Agassi, and Roger Federer.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Oh yeah, and happy birthday! Novak just turned 29 about a week ago, Andy a bit before that.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
While it was a foregone conclusion, Novak has officially surpassed 200 weeks at #1, or 99 weeks in a row currently. He could probably coast for the rest of the year and finish with ~225.

302 Roger Federer
286 Pete Sampras
270 Ivan Lendl
268 Jimmy Connors
201 Novak Djokovic
170 John McEnroe
141 Rafael Nadal
109 Bjorn Borg
101 Andre Agassi

So next up: how many do you think he'll end his career with? As I said, he'll coast to 225ish. Then he should hold steady for much, most, or even all of next year. I mean, who would he lose it to? As of this moment, there are no young players on the cusp of challenging for the #1 spot; he only loses it to Andy if he is injured, and no one else is really a candidate to challenge. But you never know. So let's say he gets another 40-52 next year to end 2017 with 265-280ish. Then in 2018, when he turns 31, I could see the #1 ranking being passed around a bit, but even so he has a very good chance of getting the necessary 20-35ish needed to pass Roger.

In other words, getting into the 250-300 range is very likely, and getting over 300 a distinct possibility. I don't want to guess an exactly number, but I would probably put it somewhere in the 280-330 range and give him about even odds of passing Roger. He'll also likely be the sixth player of the ATP era to be #1 at 30-years old, after John Newcombe, Jimmy Connors, Ivan Lendl, Andre Agassi, and Roger Federer.

I would say at the very least 250 weeks. I don't see anyone overtaking him at the top spot anytime soon unless he gets an injury or Murray suddenly becomes superman.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
rafanoy1992 said:
El Dude said:

302 Roger Federer
286 Pete Sampras
270 Ivan Lendl
268 Jimmy Connors
201 Novak Djokovic
170 John McEnroe
141 Rafael Nadal
109 Bjorn Borg
101 Andre Agassi

I would say at the very least 250 weeks. I don't see anyone overtaking him at the top spot anytime soon unless he gets an injury or Murray suddenly becomes superman.

Superman? I'd be satisfied if he just acted like a man instead of a spoiled brat! I hate his "act" about as much as I do Rafa's; the primal screams and the constant "come on" even if someone double faults or makes an error! He's a child that may never grow up! :nono :cover :eyepop

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think he has the rest of this year and probably all of next year locked up. I think he stands a good shot in maybe 2018 as long as he stays healthy, but no more than 2018.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The ability of human beings to predict the future is dismal. Otherwise, we can quit our day job and play stock market full time.

When Roger won the 2010 AO, many thought "OMG, Now that Roger has passed Pete, he can play with abandon and thus will actually be more dangerous". We know what happened after that.

When Rafa went on a tear in 2013, many said it is just a matter of time when Rafa will pass Roger in GS count. Now, people would rather buy powerball lottery tickets than bet on Rafa passing Roger.

This too shall pass. Not to worry folks.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
The ability of human beings to predict the future is dismal. Otherwise, we can quit our day job and play stock market full time.

When Roger won the 2010 AO, many thought "OMG, Now that Roger has passed Pete, he can play with abandon and thus will actually be more dangerous". We know what happened after that.

When Rafa went on a tear in 2013, many said it is just a matter of time when Rafa will pass Roger in GS count. Now, people would rather buy powerball lottery tickets than bet on Rafa passing Roger.

IMO, Roger had already passed his peak and prime; resulting in him winning only 1 more major since that AO event! He needed help taking the last few; esp. '09 FO and Roddick's choke job at Wimbledon a few weeks later! Rafa's career has always been on a yoyo string, so I had no fear of him overtaking Federer; esp. with his penchant to break down in the summer and fall! Even if Nole hadn't come into his own in 2011, something else would have happened to thwart Nadal IMO! :angel: :rolleyes: :dodgy:

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
He will pass Fed, and if he win today, he will surpass 100 MIO dollars in tour. 1st ever.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Mile said:
He will pass Fed, and if he win today, he will surpass 100 MIO dollars in tour. 1st ever.

The prize money is the least impressive stat of all and utterly pointless as prize money goes up every year. $1 / £1 / €1 was worth more 10 years ago than now. Borg won the same amount of slams as Djokovic has currently and his career prize winnings came to US$ 3,655,751. These days players get more than half that for winning 1 slam!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B6rn_Borg

lob

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
300+ appears likely. Who would have imagined in 2012 that Roger's two biggest records will be under very serious threat before he retired? But he always seemed just fine with that possibility. So I am not particularly perturbed. Novak wants the records more badly. I have no doubt about that. More power to him. Sure luck plays a role too. If it weren't true, it is hilarious that we were all at each others other's throats for a decade examining the minutiae of the relative preeminence of Federer and Nadal in tennis history. The Tennis Gods found the ruckus unbearable. It appears that they took a committee decision to impose the alphabetical order: Djokovic, Federer, Nadal. Or who knows? Is it true that there is a saying like this in Spanish? It is difficult to predict, especially the future!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
lob said:
300+ appears likely. Who would have imagined in 2012 that Roger's two biggest records will be under very serious threat before he retired? But he always seemed just fine with that possibility. So I am not particularly perturbed. Novak wants the records more badly. I have no doubt about that. More power to him. Sure luck plays a role too. If it weren't true, it is hilarious that we were all at each others other's throats for a decade examining the minutiae of the relative preeminence of Federer and Nadal in tennis history. The Tennis Gods found the ruckus unbearable. It appears that they took a committee decision to impose the alphabetical order: Djokovic, Federer, Nadal. Or who knows? Is it true that there is a saying like this in Spanish? It is difficult to predict, especially the future!

If you go by alphabetical order Agut will probably come first. :laydownlaughing

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

Time is the great equalizer.

After winning the French today, I think 275 is within reach.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
He has this year on lock, and if he can maintain through most of next year he might have a shot at the record.