NFL 2016-2017

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It's looking inevitable that the Chargers are heading to Los Angeles... Anyone else hate it when a team moves to a different city? I won't be happy at all if the Raiders move to Las Vegas.

I don't get the Chargers thinking in moving to LA.... I can't see there being a surge of fans going for the LA Chargers.... a lot of the Los Angeles fanbase are still Raider fans. Even the Rams, Los Angeles' longest standing team have been a bit of a damp squib since they returned. Don't see how the Chargers will make Los Angeles work for them. Even the Niners have been playing to empty stadiums in San Jose and that's on the fringe of their original catchment area. Very short sighted stuff.

Always hated to see teams move in any sport. It's just a brutal pill to swallow for the fans of the team. Here in Wisconsin we had to worry about whether the Bucks were going to move for a couple years. Thankfully the referendum for the new basketball arena passed and they are staying and the future looks extremely bright which would've made it all the worse if they moved to a different city. I don't know why Los Angeles keeps getting NFL teams when they inevitably move to a different city.

Reactions: britbox

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Easy win for Atlanta. I have to admit it, that team looks scary. Their defense isn't good but it's playing better lately and they have one of the best offenses in league history. I do stand by the thought that GB finds a way to win next week if they get by Dallas (which I don't expect) but I'm a little less confident after watching this.

Pats are winning easily mostly due to how atrocious the Houston offense is. Brady has had a terrible game yet the rest of the team has picked him up. This has actually happened a lot over the years which points to how great the Pats team is. If Rodgers plays like that the Packers have next to no chance in any playoff game. That's a big part of the reason it's tough to just judge QB's by rings only. Football is the ultimate team game, you can't judge careers like we do in individual sports and I'd say even basketball is quite a bit different because 1 or 2 great players can win it all.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Easy win for Atlanta. I have to admit it, that team looks scary. Their defense isn't good but it's playing better lately and they have one of the best offenses in league history. I do stand by the thought that GB finds a way to win next week if they get by Dallas (which I don't expect) but I'm a little less confident after watching this.

Pats are winning easily mostly due to how atrocious the Houston offense is. Brady has had a terrible game yet the rest of the team has picked him up. This has actually happened a lot over the years which points to how great the Pats team is. If Rodgers plays like that the Packers have next to no chance in any playoff game. That's a big part of the reason it's tough to just judge QB's by rings only. Football is the ultimate team game, you can't judge careers like we do in individual sports and I'd say even basketball is quite a bit different because 1 or 2 great players can win it all.

Yeah, big momentum change in the Atlanta/Seattle game with the huge return called back and the subsequent safety. Once Seattle were playing catch-up they ditched the run game and couldn't hang onto the Atlanta points scoring machine. Some pretty wasteful penalties by the Hawks too -cost them a couple of scores. Turned out to be a rout... and even an injured Julio Jones had Sherman in his pocket whilst he was on the park.

Totally agree on the Pats, they can just plug somebody else in and still be a top team... it kind of shows the limitations of teams like the Raiders and Packers who are a pale imitation without their star QBs.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow, hits the FG from 56. I thought they'd been tackled in the back field to take them out of range. Good kick from Crosby.

Dallas still have time though. 1.33 on the clock.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
They always take years off my life BB. It's the same old shit with them and that's why I've said for years to get rid of the coaching staff. They have a guy who often plays like Jesus in cleats and they still go full blown prevent on both sides of the ball way too early when they get a 2 possession lead. Rodgers interception was a big play, bad throw for sure but that came after 4 runs and a short pass that picked up 15 yards. Rodgers carved them up all game just playing their normal offense and then they change things up when they should've been going for a knock out punch. Then the softest prevent defense all 4th quarter. These dinosaurs are inept and they were bailed out by one of the most ridiculous passes you'll ever see. And they really almost screwed it up running those retarded plays with 1.5 minutes left from the Dallas 35. He has no clue.

This is why a lot of people say this dude is the best qb ever. I don't consider myself a big homer but I think it's true and by a good amount. Not greatest unless he gets another couple rings and that's unlikely on this franchise. This is also why I was talking about how off he was for a year +, it's a night and day difference right now and it doesn't have to do with his receivers. You plug whoever in there and if AR is himself he is deadly even when a team is getting pressure which the Cowboys did much of the game. The question is why was he so off. Rodgers and the team are very private so we won't get a definitive answer but his family drama, the now serious relationship with Olivia Munn, a possible rift with McCarthy and his playcalls, and/or just a huge loss of confidence could explain it. I just hope we never see him look so human again for such a long period of time.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just read that Rodgers drew that last play up himself and directed the receivers where to run their routes... it wasn't in the playbook.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting, I haven't heard that interview yet. He was asked if that was his best play ever and he quickly said no and that he's made a lot more athletic plays than that too. Quite confident/ cocky but I can't blame him. Given the stakes and the fact he rifled a ball 40 yards perfectly while running to his left and being nearly out of bounds puts it on a short list for his best pass ever.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
So happy to wake up to this news! Can't wait to hear Stephen A Smith today!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Skip's tears were priceless. What a clown. The win felt really good for us GB fans who suffered through multiple beatings in Dallas from the 90's Cowboys in the playoffs. Favre was at his best those years but the teams overall were a complete mismatch and he couldn't win it by himself, and only came close in 95 when they had a lead midway through the 4th quarter of the NFC title game but couldn't hold on.

There are a lot of parallels between the teams right now. Pretty much the only advantage the Packers had going into the game on Sunday was the QB position but this time Rodgers close to singlehandedly beat the Dallas machine. I still can't believe THAT throw and the catch was incredible too. That throw shouldn't even be physically possible.

I can stomach losing to Atlanta (I couldn't stomach another playoff loss to Eli or at Dallas) and I am going to flip flop and give the Falcons the slight edge in this game. I think if GB is to win they are going to need a couple turnovers. Atlanta has not turned it over too much but I think it's easier to force TO's vs. them than it is vs. Dallas who is all about ball control and long drives. In comparing the teams; Atlanta's running game is significantly better than GB, their defense is not good but it's better than GB's right now, and they have more weapons all around and are playing at home. Even against AR it's hard not to give them the advantage but at the same time I think it's an easier matchup for GB than Dallas was.

I felt decent about the Steelers' chances at New England until dumbass Antonio Brown gave bulletin board material by videotaping the locker room celebration and speech from their coach in which he called the Patriots a bunch of assholes. The Pats are extra deadly when their opponents start yapping. With that said the key for the Steelers will be to avoid turnovers and convert in the red zone. If they do that the Pats are in trouble.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes I couldn't believe how stupid Antonio Brown was. Unbelievable!

Haha! Yes I loved watching Skip suffer. And Will Caine as well to be honest. Stephen A Smith might be a bit hysterical but I do agree about Dallas fans.

GB vs Atlanta is a tough call. I'm hoping for a GB vs Steelers SB. Two classic teams, and I'll always support the NFC over the AFC, except when it's a divisional rival of course :)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I honestly wonder who the Pats and Steelers would prefer in the NFC. Rodgers, now that he's back to being "Rodgers" is the best player in the league by far but Atlanta is a well-oiled machine. GB has the worst running game left by far and I'd say they have the worst defense as well. I think both teams may actually prefer GB wins, especially Pittsburgh because it gives them a shot at revenge for SB 45 if they beat New England. It may sound strange but if all teams play up to their capabilities this might be Atlanta's SB to lose. I don't think there's any question that both NFC teams would prefer playing Pittsburgh instead of Belichick, Brady, and co.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I honestly wonder who the Pats and Steelers would prefer in the NFC. Rodgers, now that he's back to being "Rodgers" is the best player in the league by far but Atlanta is a well-oiled machine. GB has the worst running game left by far and I'd say they have the worst defense as well. I think both teams may actually prefer GB wins, especially Pittsburgh because it gives them a shot at revenge for SB 45 if they beat New England. It may sound strange but if all teams play up to their capabilities this might be Atlanta's SB to lose. I don't think there's any question that both NFC teams would prefer playing Pittsburgh instead of Belichick, Brady, and co.

Yup. That makes a lot of sense. I would go as far as to say, that only a Giants fan would look forward to the Pats in a SB

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It's the coaching mismatch that truly terrifies me if it's GB and New England. The Pats have a good but highly overrated defense and that could be the difference too if they matchup. It's a weird feeling for me, I of course 100% want GB to win on Sunday but if they are to lose I much rather it be to Atlanta than having them lose in the SB. There's nothing more gutwrenching as a fan than your team losing a SB and if it's to New England it'd be that much worse.

The Packers are 2-1 in the big game during my lifetime and that loss was an ugly brutal one to Denver in SB XXXII. Green Bay was a 12 point favorite to win and they wet the bed on both sides of the ball but still had a chance to tie at the end. The year before they dominated the Patriots as expected and the other one was six years ago against Pittsburgh where GB was a slight favorite. They almost blew that game too after going up 21-3 near the end of the 1st half (same score we had late in the 1st half on Sunday). That one wasn't on McCarthy and Capers but rather the receivers: James Jones dropped an 80 yard TD and they had two other drops on 3rd down that would've extended separate drives all in the 3rd quarter. I lost my voice for hours after screaming at those chumps. That was just another game that took years out of me!

Last edited:
Reactions: britbox

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel for you buddy. I've been a Giants supporter since the mid 80s. I've enjoyed 4 championships but I still remember the loss against the Ravens :banghead:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yep I remember that one. That was one of the greatest defenses ever but they had Trent Dilfer at QB so I figured it'd be a close game but the Ravens decked them.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
So who is everyone picking this weekend?

I'm going with New England and Atlanta. The reverse-jinxes have worked pretty well lately when I pick against Green Bay. Nelson is almost certainly out again and Adams is banged up but will probably play. GB played Atlanta earlier in the year and were missing Cobb, Cook, and Montgomery but they still carved up Atlanta easily...and still lost by 1. That was Rodgers' best game of the year until a few of the ones he's had in the 8 game winning streak.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ditto... I'm going with the same.

Falcons offense is looking fantastic and I just don't see the Green Bay D. stopping them racking up the points. If the Packers have a chance they've got to stay within one score going in to the half. I don't like any team playing catchup with this Falcons team...

Pats/Steelers... I like Big Ben in big games. I wouldn't rule out the Steelers totally but as much as I hate the Pats... Bellicheck is a fantastic coach, albeit a cheating f**ker. I don't expect Brady to have two terrible games in a row either. Pats by 7.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Federberg Other Sports 4
Fiero425 Other Sports 32
J Other Sports 34
britbox Other Sports 224
DarthFed Other Sports 116