Next Gen ATP Finals, 2019, Milan, Italy

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
*This would have been a great opportunity to test "play on on net serves" since they are experimenting with bunch of stuff.

I hate watching it (wait, I never watched it, but it does not matter), but I have to admit that playing "no-let" is extremely fun.

*I hate courts without the doubles lines. Played on once and all my reference points were gone. I guess some like it.

Never played, but just the sight of it makes me wanna puke. Almost as ugly as a two-handed backhand.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
Fun to look back at 2017’s lineup (Tsitsipas was an alternate).

DN8Vn8QVQAEfI33.jpg

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I hate watching it (wait, I never watched it, but it does not matter), but I have to admit that playing "no-let" is extremely fun.

Never played, but just the sight of it makes me wanna puke. Almost as ugly as a two-handed backhand.

Try playing on a wood gym floor with the lines of other sports distracting you as well; tennis, volleyball, basketball, etc! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :eek:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fun to look back at 2017’s lineup (Tsitsipas was an alternate).

DN8Vn8QVQAEfI33.jpg
And I think Chung won it all. EDIT: he did, beating Rublev, with Medvedev getting 3rd place. Tiafoe was the other alternate, and Jared Donaldson was in the tournament. Not sure where he is now.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here's something I don't like about the first-to-four set format. Watching Ymer v. Tiafoe this morning, it was a good contest, with Ymer very disciplined, until 2-2. Then he played a loose game, got broken, then Tiafoe served it out. Don't get me wrong, I was rooting for Tiafoe, but there was no chance for Ymer to get back into it, really. Same reason I don't like the no-ad scoring...these matches are quick, but mostly devoid of drama.

Also, for whoever was talking about replacing the lines people with Hawkeye, there was a kerfuffle today in the Fokina match. The technology got it wrong, and it took some doing to overrule the technology. Tournament director had to intervene, and still Fokina was unhappy, because it was on the far side of the court from him, and he couldn't see what everyone else did.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This tournament reminds me a bit of my childhood when we used to play tennis in front of our apartment block. "Court" was just across the two entrances to the 16 floor buildings. People were walking by often so we had to wait to start a point if someone was approaching and if someone was going out while we played the point he would have to wait for point to finish. We didn't have the net in the beginning and whoever played the low balls trying to score easy was called a cheater.

Later we upgraded the court and made a net with a piece of rope. Then the cheater was a guy who claimed he made a winner while the ball was clearly going under the rope. You were also not allowed to hit too strong, because it was not fun in about 15 meters long court. It was impossible to defend those shots and then no one would want to play with you. You had to hit smart and play where there was no opponent.

Of course there was always arguing over the line calls. We were hitting rackets (some cheap metal stuff) on the floor so the rackets would bend to one side. Then we would allign the head back to middle by hitting it on the other side. It was fun, more than this tournament to be honest, but if I was at home now I would still watch this kiddy game where sets are played until 4 and with no ads. I love tennis :heart:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sinner is in the final! The wild card. He's awfully good.

Reactions: herios

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am impressed with Sinner,about time Italy has some future prospects in men's tennis (also including Matteo)
Something is in the water in Italy. The same year Fabio won his biggest title in MC and managed to break the top 10 barrier, Matteo first then Sinner have very strong showings in the second half of the year.
Fantastico!