Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, ATP Masters 1000, 2019

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Djere prevails in the match with Lajovic.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Funny two people think this, while Fed, Nadal, Mac etc have all made huge claims about his incredible talent, ‘best talent in 10 years’, ‘he should be number one and winning slams’ and so on. Perhaps mere tennis fans actually believe they know better? Nah, I take the words of people who have actually played him, trained him and are pretty talented themselves....they know how to spot a talent when they see one.
You should watch him more often.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You should watch him more often.
Define often. Federer actually brought him to train with, surely that surpasses just ‘watching’? Or Rafas dog fight matches against Nick?

Wheel chair fans know best, because they think they do. Fedal know nothing and make rubbish claims, they absolutely need to learn from you about Kyrgios.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes. It did...two former grand slam champions..i seen a better turn out at USTA men's double championships
They must have all been watching Munar v. Khachanov, because that place was packed. Obviously, supporting a Spanish player. He went down in 3, but fought the big man hard.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Goran showed a lot more consistency early on. He was a strong performer his entire career, unlike Nick, who has yet to win anything better than an ATP 500 or reach a Slam SF - and he hasn't been in a QF since 2015. Ivanisevic was a fixture in the top 10 from the time he was a teenager, regularly going deep in Slams and winning multiple titles a year.

I have an interesting encounter with Goran that I want to share. When I was about 10 years old just coming home after a traning session there was Goran right there on the parking lot rushing to one of the nearby buildings. We knew he had a friend there he came to visit frome time to time. My father said go and wait for him in the lobby, he can give you an autograph. And there I rushed like 2 minutes after and waited for him with a tennis ball and a raquet. The guy could have stayed with his friend for hours with me waiting, but no, he came right there and I surprised him in a poorly lit lobby and he signed my stuff. I was so proud and will never forget that moment.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Busta still in AO thinking about a chairman call. :D

He's definitely better than this! Another week of upsets is to be expected, but this is crazy! The excuse of just hitting clay won't fly after this many weeks on the surface practicing and competing! Really disappointed in Grigor going out like that to Fritz! Not that I'm a fan or not a fan of the other; just expect better out of Dimitrov who has the experience over Taylor! Great win for the kid!

Update: I wouldn't want to be in that 3rd quarter of the draw with Tsitsipas, Khachanov, Zverev, & Coric! True enough it's more dramatic on paper since Karen's been missing in action after winning Paris over Nole last Fall! What else can be said about the 3rd seed, who just dropped to #4 allowing Fed yet another week of tenure in the top 3! Sasha better get his act together or he'll only be fodder in the 1st round at Roland Garros coming up! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek:

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fritz is playing what looks to be a better tennis this season and going a bit up in rankings. He is only 21 still. I remember he was one of the most promising young americans. He still have plenty of time to show his potential. But I am surprised, tought he was at least 22-23, feels like he is longer around.

Grigor seems completely lost, he can't put 2 wins together.

Cilic was a mental giant today. I am in a shock. Saved a few match points at 5:6 in 3rd (on his serve) and went on to win 7:0 in tie break.

The craiziest doubles currently in the draw is Kyrgios/Tomic

Reactions: Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Does anyone know what happened to PCB? In the year when he transitioned from Challenger series to ATP, he actually won more matches than Ralph (who was the leader in ATP match wins that year). Not too long ago, he was in the "new career high ranking list" of Herios almost every week and Dude used to throw around his familiar phrase of "I see him achieving to the level of Tsonga or Bird, a second tier but not elite player" (BTW, it is not a real quote of Dude).

Is he injured or anything like that? From when he started moving backward instead of forward.

p.s. I am not exactly rooting for him. But, just curious.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Slight relief. Fokina downed by Gasquet. So, Roger will win at least one match in Madrid.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Does anyone know what happened to PCB? In the year when he transitioned from Challenger series to ATP, he actually won more matches than Ralph (who was the leader in ATP match wins that year). Not too long ago, he was in the "new career high ranking list" of Herios almost every week and Dude used to throw around his familiar phrase of "I see him achieving to the level of Tsonga or Bird, a second tier but not elite player" (BTW, it is not a real quote of Dude).

Is he injured or anything like that? From when he started moving backward instead of forward.

p.s. I am not exactly rooting for him. But, just curious.
Since you mentioned it, I looked into it. He has recently had a shoulder injury, which caused him to withdraw from MC and Córdoba. But since he had a SF finish at the USO in 2017, he's had much more mediocre results, and I can find no explanation for that. Maybe carrying some injuries, or the shoulder problem goes back farther? A bit of a mystery, so thanks for pointing it out.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fritz is playing what looks to be a better tennis this season and going a bit up in rankings. He is only 21 still. I remember he was one of the most promising young americans. He still have plenty of time to show his potential. But I am surprised, tought he was at least 22-23, feels like he is longer around.

Grigor seems completely lost, he can't put 2 wins together.

Cilic was a mental giant today. I am in a shock. Saved a few match points at 5:6 in 3rd (on his serve) and went on to win 7:0 in tie break.

The craiziest doubles currently in the draw is Kyrgios/Tomic
Great win today by Fritz. Tiafoe, another US guy, beat Basilashvili in 3, so a terrific win for him. And Reilly Opelka beat Carreño Busta today, as GSM noted above. Surprisingly good showing by the US men on clay. Fritz gets Djokovic tomorrow, for his efforts. Tall ask.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good win by Marci Fucsovics against Goffin

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Good win by Marci Fucsovics against Goffin.

More upsets with Ferrer still riding a magic carpet in a long 3 set win over his compatriot and DC teammate RBA! Was it a fair-thee-well gift to the retiring "pit bull" or did he genuinely go out to the old guy? Missed Nole over Fritz; too bad he had to run into a seed so soon! He's really making strides! Maybe he can get some rest before the biggie! He's been overplaying like most kids trying to gain ranking points, match play, $$$, & self-confidence! The Fed/Gasquet match should be telling! I don't think Richard will give it to Roger, but we can at least gage how well the old guy is stroking the ball regardless if he comes through or not in a couple hours! :whistle: :p :rolleyes: :ptennis: