Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, ATP Masters 1000, 2019

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
looks like like he wants that underarm serve to become something he will be remembered of :D add to that completely no interest in a fight on the court today, hundred drop shots, a few games without winning a single point...just an ordinary day in the office for Nick

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
He will never grow up

Give it another few years and it'll be a positive! Heaven knows overgrown kids isn't anything new on the tour; start with Ilie Nastase, Jimmy Connors, & John McEnroe! At least they won majors of course, but give him time! Goran Ivanišević won '01 Wimbledon at the end of his career as a last minute Wildcard entry ranked #125! The Tournament director didn't have to do that! Since he was a multi-finalist, it only made sense! The rest is history! I can see Kyrgios surprising us all one of these days! There's too much talent in him not to have a good stretch; either in a season or for just a Major event like Wimbledon or US Open! Like most Aussie, winning "down under" has been a stretch since the "Handsome Eight" were ruling the WCT! Rafter and Hewitt won other Majors and attained the #1 ranking, but nere got a sniff of winning their own GS! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :oops: :rolleyes:

(ANYBODY?) Is there a place or procedure to get proper names + to the dir.? Even ancient names like Ilie Nastase isn't spelled ch'd! :rolleyes:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Give it another few years and it'll be a positive! Heaven knows overgrown kids isn't anything new on the tour; start with Ilie Nastase, Jimmy Connors, & John McEnroe! At least they won majors of course, but give him time! Goran Ivanišević won '01 Wimbledon at the end of his career as a last minute Wildcard entry ranked #125! The Tournament director didn't have to do that! Since he was a multi-finalist, it only made sense! The rest is history! I can see Kyrgios surprising us all one of these days! There's too much talent in him not to have a good stretch; either in a season or for just a Major event like Wimbledon or US Open! Like most Aussie, winning "down under" has been a stretch since the "Handsome Eight" were ruling the WCT! Rafter and Hewitt won other Majors and attained the #1 ranking, but nere got a sniff of winning their own GS! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :oops: :rolleyes:

(ANYBODY?) Is there a place or procedure to get proper names + to the dir.? Even ancient names like Ilie Nastase isn't spelled ch'd! :rolleyes:

I doubt this guy will last long enough to mature.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Why does Madrid always look empty? Have we discussed this before? :unsure:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Shapo in trouble. Down a doub break to his bestie.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Glad to see FAA win his first match. That said, I suspect he's got a rude awakening coming his way, unfortunately. I do think he has a chance against Rafa, but wouldn't bet money on it. He could also be steam-rolled. But at the least, it will be good match experience - and his first match against one of the Big Four.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Who you tellin'? Goran was literally nicknamed "crazy," but took his lone Wimbledon in '01; Nick a lot more talented! :whistle: :yesyes: :rolleyes:

Goran showed a lot more consistency early on. He was a strong performer his entire career, unlike Nick, who has yet to win anything better than an ATP 500 or reach a Slam SF - and he hasn't been in a QF since 2015. Ivanisevic was a fixture in the top 10 from the time he was a teenager, regularly going deep in Slams and winning multiple titles a year.

So while i agree that Nick has all the talent in the world, he just doesn't seem to have the mentality to win. He's sort of like the grumpy version of Gael Monfils. I suppose a life-changing epiphany is possible, but that's what it would take.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Goran showed a lot more consistency early on. He was a strong performer his entire career, unlike Nick, who has yet to win anything better than an ATP 500 or reach a Slam SF - and he hasn't been in a QF since 2015. Ivanisevic was a fixture in the top 10 from the time he was a teenager, regularly going deep in Slams and winning multiple titles a year.

So while i agree that Nick has all the talent in the world, he just doesn't seem to have the mentality to win. He's sort of like the grumpy version of Gael Monfils. I suppose a life-changing epiphany is possible, but that's what it would take.

I disagree that Nick is very talented. Sorry.
He is very much like Milos, lives of the serve and his FH.
His defense is mediocre and so is his net play. BH is not great either.

Reactions: mrzz

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

People seem split on this. Obviously there are things that Nick can't do, or ways that he's limited (not even going into his mental game). But I've also seem him play at an explosive level, and do things on court that very few people can do. When he's playing at his best he's far more dynamic than a "serve-bot" like Milos.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
At the moment Medvedev is a much bigger danger for Nadal than Wawrinka considering the consistency and fast Madrid conditions. I also don't think that Wawrinka can hurt Nadal especially on clay.

However, I have a hard time accepting that Wawrinka will never come back somewhere close to his previous '15-'16 level. I'm a bit of a romantic and would love to see some more of that one handed backhand beauty destroying opponents, so I have to continue dreaming that he still has a spark of brilliance left in him.

@don_fabio: I don't mean to say that Wawrinka won't have his moments, I think he will. I just think he's probably done winning big titles, given his age and his knees. I've said this before, but I realize you're new here, and welcome! I'm enjoying your posts very much. :rose:

Reactions: El Dude

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Funny that you mention Monfils. Nick has said his ambition is basically to have a career like Gael's: to make money and to have fun. Arguably, he doesn't look like he's having as much fun as Monfils...but who does? Anyway, no one can make him be more ambitious than he is. For the record, I'm in the camp that thinks he's very talented.

Reactions: El Dude

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Why does Madrid always look empty? Have we discussed this before? :unsure:
We haven't, and I don't think it "always" does. Not like some of the Asian tournaments, to be sure. It's early days yet. They pack in, and get a lot of celebs for the big matches. Also, today is Mother's Day in Spain.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
We are two. We are haters.

Yeah.

P.S. The guy has great reflexes at the net. But technique is poor.

Enviado de meu XT1032 usando o Tapatalk

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Funny two people think this, while Fed, Nadal, Mac etc have all made huge claims about his incredible talent, ‘best talent in 10 years’, ‘he should be number one and winning slams’ and so on. Perhaps mere tennis fans actually believe they know better? Nah, I take the words of people who have actually played him, trained him and are pretty talented themselves....they know how to spot a talent when they see one.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath