Mutua Madrid Open 2017 Clay Masters

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
Also, as I said, Thiem lacks diversity. He hits the ball as hard as he can, corner to corner. Not much else.

That's it. Rafa scoops it up and presents it back to him. He's like, uh, vot I does vit this? Is und your end, nah? Vot it does back 'ere, yah?!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
Also, as I said, Thiem lacks diversity. He hits the ball as hard as he can, corner to corner. Not much else.

I think your and h assessment of Thiem is a tab bit too critical..he is a young 23 and his game will get better..he has just as much touch and diversity to his game as Dimitrov but you two are not as critical of Grigor's lack of guts.. Thiem will be there when the big four fall ahead of the rest because he knows how to win under pressure..no known temper tantrums to date ..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
By the way, I like that serve out to the forehand that Rafa is whacking into the deuce court. Yielded great dividends yesterday against Djoker, and it's a keeper for future tousles against any of the others in the Big 3...

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
By the way, I like that serve out to the forehand that Rafa is whacking into the deuce court. Yielded great dividends yesterday against Djoker, and it's a keeper for future tousles against any of the others in the Big 3...

It will be interesting to see if he implements that tactic on hardcourts though...

Knowing Nadal he could be very stubborn with his tactics.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
El Dude said:

I think your and h assessment of Thiem is a tab bit too critical..he is a young 23 and his game will get better..he has just as much touch and diversity to his game as Dimitrov but you two are not as critical of Grigor's lack of guts.. Thiem will be there when the big four fall ahead of the rest because he knows how to win under pressure..no known temper tantrums to date ..

I am hugely critical of Grigor's lack of mental strength and guts...the guy is a joke. I don't call Thiem a joke. I honestly don't know how you can possibly compare my criticisms of Grigor vs. Thiem. I agree that Thiem will most likely have a better career. He seems able to actualize his potential.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
rafanoy1992 said:
Kieran said:

It will be interesting to see if he implements that tactic on hardcourts though...

Knowing Nadal he could be very stubborn with his tactics.

Rafa has too..his lack of weapons on harcourts is easily exposed

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The one thing I would like to see Thiem do more on Clay is be more aggressive on his backhand ala Wawrinka.

He started to hit his backhand more aggressively in the 2nd set and he won a couple of points because of it.

If he could do that more often especially on this surface then he will be even more dangerous.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Thiem exceeds my expectations; I gave him three games as he will be psychologically demoralized after coming that close in the first set. Shows grit. :clap

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
LIVE Rafael Nadal vs Dominic Thiem

https://goodgame.ru/player?123513

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
the AntiPusher said:
El Dude said:

I am hugely critical of Grigor's lack of mental strength and guts...the guy is a joke. I don't call Thiem a joke. I honestly don't know how you can possibly compare my criticisms of Grigor vs. Thiem. I agree that Thiem will most likely have a better career. He seems able to actualize his potential.

I said a bit too critical..I didn't say exactly you were comparing the two players..Relax

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Much respect to this kid (Thiem). :clap He surely will win RG one day (probably not until RN is gone)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Great fight by Thiem. He forced two break points and saved three championship points in the last game. :clap

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah, he seems to be the best bet among the Young Guns/NextGen for future Roland Garros champion. Actually, this match really exemplifies the current context in which you have aging greats who will not give up their reign, and younger generations who can't take it away. I just don't see how these young guys will start beating the Big Four (or at least Three) consistently until the old guys start seriously declining. Such a different level of talent.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Only Fog and Kyle managed to win a set against Rafa this clay season. Kyle's set does not mean anything as it was Rafa's first match on clay this year.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Great match from both players. Nadal used his smarts incredibly in this match. He used the dropshot when he needed to and he served smart when he needed to (especially in the last game).

As for Thiem, he played competitively and unfortunately Nadal was just too damn good today. I hope he adds variety on his game especially on his backhand.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Unlike MonteCarlo, this title by Rafa is fully deserved. He had all tough opponents from the get go.
Fog in the opening round, Kyrgios in R3, Goffin in QF, Novak in SF and Thiem in F. As tough as the current tour offers.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Only Fog and Kyle managed to win a set against Rafa this clay season. Kyle's set does not mean anything as it was Rafa's first match on clay this year.

I wouldn't say it doesn't mean anything. It means that he has a big game w/ aggressive FH and good serve and we'll see more from him at a later date.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal's sharp angles and drop shots played a large role in this victory.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Nadal's sharp angles and drop shots played a large role in this victory.

It was more than that, Rafael entire game was something special because Thiem played extremely excellent. Not too many players would have defeated Dominic today including the Beloved one..

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
rafanoy1992 said:
Nadal's defense in this match has been phenomenal! He literally is playing like 2005-2013 Clay Nadal right now.

Dare I say FUBAR ...

(Of course, I am only kidding. Fully expected Nadal would come to play this clay court season, though I'm not sure I would have expected him to do quite this well! Three titles done, two more to go ...)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk