Miami

tented

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Off Topic: Did Wilson make any announcements about Roger's new racquet. Is that
racquet a work in progress? Why is it still having black paint?

If it is not a work in progress, I am sure Wilson would want to make money out
of it, by giving that model a name and ridiculously pricing it hoping all Roger
wanna bes buy it foolishly.

I heard (I think) Brad Gilbert mention that it's a Wilson prototype.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
that was an interesting match, (even though Federer lost), kei played reallywell considering he had that 3hr plus match v ferrer the day before.

Federer..still hugging the baseline too much, should have mixed it up more and come in every now and then. but a qf and 180 rank pts will do. he has had a good season so far.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Front242 said:
"I thought I really played well, especially in the third set," Nishikori said. "I was hitting balls deep and striking well. Everything was going well."

"I just couldn't find my rhythm on the serve today, which was surprising," Federer said. "It's a bit frustrating, but Kei did well to stay with me. He was more consistent in the second and third, and in the end it's to his credit."

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/03/nishikori-rallies-past-federer-and-miami-semifinals/51022/#.UzOuRIU5huk

I don't think there's any way to prove this, but my impression over the last few years is that Roger does significantly more poorly at night than he used to (the same goes for cool-ish days). Evening matches at the USO used to be a sure thing; these days when he has to play at night I always think, "I wish this were during the day." I think his body stays more muscularly relaxed when it's warmer, which helps his movement.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Front242 said:
"I thought I really played well, especially in the third set," Nishikori said. "I was hitting balls deep and striking well. Everything was going well."

"I just couldn't find my rhythm on the serve today, which was surprising," Federer said. "It's a bit frustrating, but Kei did well to stay with me. He was more consistent in the second and third, and in the end it's to his credit."

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/03/nishikori-rallies-past-federer-and-miami-semifinals/51022/#.UzOuRIU5huk

I don't think there's any way to prove this, but my impression over the last few years is that Roger does significantly more poorly at night than he used to (the same goes for cool-ish days). Evening matches at the USO used to be a sure thing; these days when he has to play at night I always think, "I wish this were during the day." I think his body stays more muscularly relaxed when it's warmer, which helps his movement.

Could well be true but then again he was cruising till 4-3 2nd set and what happened after that was just baffling :( Anyway after 5am here and I better head to bed finally. Cheers! I'll have nightmares of evil clowns now!

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I'll say this...as much I'm bitterly disappointed with how Fed collapsed, Kei's match point winner was class.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm sure pavlik89 will have the match linked on here pretty soon for all those who missed it.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
Darth. I just drank some java, I am gonna stay up and watch a replay of that match

Get your popcorn out, you might enjoy this one almost as much as I enjoyed Rosol and Rafa at Wimbledon

thats cold Darth

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I'm pretty sure it will be coming out, though. (The much reviled) Mary Carillo made a suggestion that, when it does, it should be named for the bat of the aging baseball player in Bernhard Malamud's "The Natural." It was called, "Wonder Boy." I think she's on to something there.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
the AntiPusher said:
Darth. I just drank some java, I am gonna stay up and watch a replay of that match

Do definitely. You'll clearly see it's not sour grapes from Fed fans. He really went to pieces up 4-3 2nd set :( Eventhough Roger v Rafa is a done deal I was still hoping there was some chance of an encounter here as till today they've both been playing extremely high level. Well, Rafa still is. And no doubt it'll continue against Golum tomorrow.

Golum tomorrow.
thats :laydownlaughing

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I'm pretty sure it will be coming out, though. (The much reviled) Mary Carillo made a suggestion that, when it does, it should be named for the bat of the aging baseball player in Bernhard Malamud's "The Natural." It was called, "Wonder Boy." I think she's on to something there.

Whatever it is, it's probably not legal.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Moxie629 said:
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Whatever it is, it's probably not legal.

You never heard of a product tie-in? Anyway, I like it. :)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Moxie629 said:
DarthFed said:
Riotbeard said:
DarthFed said:
Nah, if Roger wants to show that he can still play you can't have these types of losses. There is always the chance Roger suddenly puts it together a full 2 weeks at slams but when you have these kinds of matches spring up against 3rd tier players what are the chances of playing lights out for 7 straight best of 5 matches?

Kei is a better player than you are giving him credit for, but it depends on what roger wants out of playing tennis at 32. Occasional losses like this might be the new normal for him. This a very different loss from Becker and Delbonis last summer. Kei is at a different level from those guys.

I know for you though it's roger at his most sublime or nothing, so I ain't gonna try and convince you;)

Give me a break, the guy isn't even top 20. That's third tier. It ain't about Roger being at his most sublime, it's about him not playing like a circus clown and dusting up those who are begging to be dusted...

Nishikori has been top 10. RB is right…you hold Roger up to his most sublime or nothing. It seems that Nishikori was just better today. That doesn't mean that Roger was a clown. Give Kei a little credit.

And Roger has been #1 and used to win 90+ % of his matches...how relevant is that. Kei is ranked 21 coming into this tournament. I'll leave it to you Roger detractors to give Kei some loving. So sorry he isn't getting any from this keyboard. :rolleyes:

I will need to correct Moxie here, because Nishi was never a top 10 player before. His highest ranking is 11. Close enough, but still, top 10 is such a milestone, which he still have to conquer.
But if he plays like this, it could happen certainly soon.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Fed that was pitiful today . I switched off the TV when I saw his face in the third set as I knew the match was over right then

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
fedfan said:
Hated to see it, but congrats to Nishikori who is now 2-1 vs Rog.

Kid is a fighter and at 24 has a major advantage over someone 32. Then again some Fed fans delusionally insist in their minds that Rog should still consistently play like he's in his prime. Those days are long gone.

These things happen and this kid isn't chopped liver.

Good see you Fedfan. I think you some up it up pretty well. Fed played poorly in sets 2 and 3, but Kei had to take advantage.

bobvance

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I honestly thought the match was more about Kei playing well than Federer playing poorly. Fed wasn't redlining his game, but in the second and third sets Kei was returning really well, defending, and hitting really deep shots with fewer errors. Sure if Federer was serving better and played cleaner he would have probably pulled it out, but I think Kei deserves credit.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g86k-x1h1bM[/video]

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
The one match that didn't have a thread became the huge upset.

All hail the young man.
1403262121769154307_o.jpg