Miami

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah but Roger still had time to regroup in the 3rd set. It's one thing to be easy in the 3rd/5th sets for the top guys, but when guys like Kei and Hewitt are able to beat him in the 3rd in straightforward fashion it is a problem.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Front242 said:
tented said:
DarthFed said:
Roger was up a set and a break at 4-3 in the 2nd and then went 2013 on us, there's your recap.

Yep, that's it. And from that point in the second set on, he had The Frightened Face which is always a bad omen. (Think USO vs. Robredo.)

Congrats to Nishikori. He played a solid match to beat another top ranked player, in another three setter.

Yup, when I see that frightened face with him looking at the ground the whole time I know it's 80% curtains unless his opponent donates back some gunk 'cos hey, sharing is caring right?

And Kei didn't donate a bunch of crap, which is what helped win the match. Yes, Roger played the worst I've seen in a while, but Kei still had to hang in there. Even when playing like this, the top guys, including a 32-year-old Federer, can often still pull out the win.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Here's Roger mid clown face and it ain't pretty.

fatfederaonic.jpg

See? Clown.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
DarthFed said:
Riotbeard said:
DarthFed said:
Riotbeard said:
Congrats Kei!

Guys, settle down. Roger is 32. He is going to have off days even when he is in a good place with his game overall. He also lost to good player, who will exploit him having an off day. It happens, Roger is old, but overall he is playing good tennis again. Step back from the ledge.

Nah, if Roger wants to show that he can still play you can't have these types of losses. There is always the chance Roger suddenly puts it together a full 2 weeks at slams but when you have these kinds of matches spring up against 3rd tier players what are the chances of playing lights out for 7 straight best of 5 matches?

Kei is a better player than you are giving him credit for, but it depends on what roger wants out of playing tennis at 32. Occasional losses like this might be the new normal for him. This a very different loss from Becker and Delbonis last summer. Kei is at a different level from those guys.

I know for you though it's roger at his most sublime or nothing, so I ain't gonna try and convince you;)

Give me a break, the guy isn't even top 20. That's third tier. It ain't about Roger being at his most sublime, it's about him not playing like a circus clown and dusting up those who are begging to be dusted...

Nishikori has been top 10. RB is right…you hold Roger up to his most sublime or nothing. It seems that Nishikori was just better today. That doesn't mean that Roger was a clown. Give Kei a little credit.

And Roger has been #1 and used to win 90+ % of his matches...how relevant is that. Kei is ranked 21 coming into this tournament. I'll leave it to you Roger haters to give Kei some loving. So sorry he isn't getting any from this keyboard. :rolleyes:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
DarthFed said:
Riotbeard said:
DarthFed said:
Nah, if Roger wants to show that he can still play you can't have these types of losses. There is always the chance Roger suddenly puts it together a full 2 weeks at slams but when you have these kinds of matches spring up against 3rd tier players what are the chances of playing lights out for 7 straight best of 5 matches?

Kei is a better player than you are giving him credit for, but it depends on what roger wants out of playing tennis at 32. Occasional losses like this might be the new normal for him. This a very different loss from Becker and Delbonis last summer. Kei is at a different level from those guys.

I know for you though it's roger at his most sublime or nothing, so I ain't gonna try and convince you;)

Give me a break, the guy isn't even top 20. That's third tier. It ain't about Roger being at his most sublime, it's about him not playing like a circus clown and dusting up those who are begging to be dusted...

Nishikori has been top 10. RB is right…you hold Roger up to his most sublime or nothing. It seems that Nishikori was just better today. That doesn't mean that Roger was a clown. Give Kei a little credit.

You said you didn't watch it. Watch it and you'll see he most definitely was a clown after 4-3 2nd set.

Are you suggesting that Moxie jumps to conclusions?? Perish the thought.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, enough from me for one night and all I can say to that fiasco is...

batman___dafuq__by_foooxft-d5fqu0q.jpg

I'll be cheered up maybe 5% when Serena smears Sharapova's guts all over the court later on and makes it 15 straight wins and almost a decade since Sharapova has beaten her.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Moxie629 said:
DarthFed said:
Riotbeard said:
DarthFed said:

And Roger has been #1 and used to win 90+ % of his matches...how relevant is that. Kei is ranked 21 coming into this tournament. I'll leave it to you Roger detractors to give Kei some loving. So sorry he isn't getting any from this keyboard. :rolleyes:

The reality is that Kei won the match today. I'm not against Roger, but, one's resume doesn't answer the question of a match. You act as if it's rude to consider why he lost. Nishikori has been playing well the whole tournament.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Well, enough from me for one night and all I can say to that fiasco is

I'll be cheered up maybe 5% when Serena smears Sharapova's guts all over the court later on and makes it 15 straight wins and almost a decade since Sharapova has beaten her.

Hope at least that pans out.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
DarthFed said:
Moxie629 said:
DarthFed said:
Riotbeard said:

And Roger has been #1 and used to win 90+ % of his matches...how relevant is that. Kei is ranked 21 coming into this tournament. I'll leave it to you Roger detractors to give Kei some loving. So sorry he isn't getting any from this keyboard. :rolleyes:

The reality is that Kei won the match today. I'm not against Roger, but, one's resume doesn't answer the question of a match. You act as if it's rude to consider why he lost. Nishikori has been playing well the whole tournament.

I would also like to add this is the same Kei Nishikori who gave Nadal a hard time in the Australian Open this year.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ but he lost and he should've today too if clown face hadn't shown up at 4-3 2nd set.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
It's unfathomable to lose to Nishi straight up, let alone after being up a set and a break.
Wow.. That is very telling my good friend.. too bad for Fed.. I was hoping for an american Fedal:(

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie you just said you didn't watch the match. It's not just the fact he lost to Kei (that is beyond bad itself) but the way it happened. He was up a set and a break at 4-3 and then played like someone who spent the last few hours downing Jager Bombs

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
While Kei had to hang in and do his part, nothing more (other than not self destructing)
was asked of Kei by Roger.

But, IMHO, Kei played really well against Rafa in AO (much better than today) even
though he lost that match.