Miami Open, Miami, FL, 2023 - ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When did the Brat aka Rune become the 'flavor of the month' around here lol!
Thanasi Kokkinakis and Chris O'Connell, add Kovacevic as well, 3 LL have been promoted into the main draw after several late withdrawals opened up more places, for people doing the draw challenge
Rune has a huge fanbase of 1 in @Jelenafan. He's been littering up the threads with hilarious posts and memes. Plus, let's face it...everyone thinks his in the running for Next Best Thing/Next Best Rivalries.

I saw Kokkinakis lost today, so glad he slips in with a LL.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
When did the Brat aka Rune become the 'flavor of the month' around here lol!
Thanasi Kokkinakis and Chris O'Connell, add Kovacevic as well, 3 LL have been promoted into the main draw after several late withdrawals opened up more places, for people doing the draw challenge
Maybe when he became the 9th youngest player in Open Era history to win a big title? Beating Novak in the final while doing so, not to mention a bunch of top 20 players within the span of a few weeks?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rune has a huge fanbase of 1 in @Jelenafan. He's been littering up the threads with hilarious posts and memes. Plus, let's face it...everyone thinks his in the running for Next Best Thing/Next Best Rivalries.

I saw Kokkinakis lost today, so glad he slips in with a LL.
I was watching the SB with Thanasi match he was playing Paire lost in 3 sets, so I was delighted he got in

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe when he became the 9th youngest player in Open Era history to win a big title? Beating Novak in the final while doing so, not to mention a bunch of top 20 players within the span of a few weeks?
Lets see what happens in the future, he is talented, I am not a fan until he grows up, thats my opinion which I am entitled?
At this stage my opinion is Alcaraz is more talented in a lot of areas., and has the titles to prove it, with a GS title, he has also defeated Novak and Rafa if my memory is correct

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Lets see what happens in the future, he is talented, I am not a fan until he grows up, thats my opinion which I am entitled?
At this stage my opinion is Alcaraz is more talented in a lot of areas., and has the titles to prove it, with a GS title, he has also defeated Novak and Rafa if my memory is correct
Yes, of course you are entitled to your own opinion. But pretend for a moment that Alcaraz didn't exist. People would be more focused on Rune, due to his play last October and continued strong play. He's the real deal - maybe not Alcaraz real, but by my estimation, Carlos is having the fifth best teenage career in Open Era history, with only Borg, Wilander, Becker, and Rafa ahead of him.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Yes, of course you are entitled to your own opinion. But pretend for a moment that Alcaraz didn't exist. People would be more focused on Rune, due to his play last October and continued strong play. He's the real deal - maybe not Alcaraz real, but by my estimation, Carlos is having the fifth best teenage career in Open Era history, with only Borg, Wilander, Becker, and Rafa ahead of him.

You can actually argue Carlos should be elevated since he's the only one of these kids who not only had early success, he acquired the #1 ranking before age 20! The others were nowhere near overtaking the top players in their 1st 2 or 3 seasons! :yawningface: :fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well Rune did have strong play in October granted, I never once said he was not the real deal by the way?
Though so far this year, his play has not been that strong, remember he had a good chance to make the SF at the AO this year, had a 5-1 lead over Rublev in the QFs the super t/breaker and mentally went away? that is an area where I feel if Alcaraz was in the same position, he is mentally stronger? and would not have given such a lead away, after the AO in smaller tournaments Rune hasnt really set the world on fire.,I felt he played too many tournaments, he also picked up a wrist injury.He does appear to have a strong work ethic, practices well, we shall see how he evolves this year.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A

At age 19 Holger Rune is ranked # 8 in the world, was the first player in Open era to best 5 top 10 players in 5 consecutive days to win a Masters title, including the top ranked player at the time (Carlos Alcaraz) and Novak Djokovic no less in the finals.

In fact in all 3 of his tournament wins he bested at least 1 player ranked in the top 5, so no “lucky” route where he took advantage of an opened up draw.

His best Grand Slam , the French where he reached the quarterfinals again he bested a top player in route, the # 4 ranked player at the time.

In his career so far again age 19 he has reached 5 main ATP tournament finals, getting 3 tournament wins and has 9 victories over top 10 opponents.

I’ve never claimed he’s the greatest player in the world, but just as others are fans of other promising young contenders such as Felix AA & Janick Sinner, I am his fan & booster. I like little Holger’s moxie & fight.

SEJR!! Holger!! Fremgang!

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
For me, the highlight of the men's side of the event wasn't even a main draw match, but having Paire defeat Kokkinakis 7-5 in the third. Considering he won a Challenger a few weeks back and now qualify in Miami, I hope Benoit will be encouraged and stick around for a few more seasons. Fans of TK shouldn't be disappointed, I see he got into the MD as a LL, so that's good news. He also drew a WC in the first round so he could earn some decent ranking points if he capitalizes on his good luck.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Never a dull moment with Andy Murray, who is now down a break vs Lajovic, trailing 5-3 1st set. Lajovic 1st set 64
Muzz will have to do his usual comeback of winning in 3 sets.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He is just warming up his hips, which will be just about the working temperature after 3 hours of play.

Where's your draw Margaret?
I didnt do it I was brain dead as I had to work nearly a double shift...maybe I should have done it, probably got better results than the AO lol!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Muzz count your lucky stars, Lajovic serving for the match at 5-4 his serve went AWOL now 5 all 2nd set,
I guess being a Murray fan the match starts now lol!
Lajovic breaks Murray again and will try to serve out the match a 2nd time 6-5
On his 3rd MP Lajovic d Murray 64 75!

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan