Miami Open, Miami, FL, 2023 - ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, back to the tournament. Skimming the draw, the top half seems to be more loaded, based on form. Tsitsipas is #2 seed, but who knows what he'll manage...Medvedev should come through there, or Felix. Top half has Alcaraz, (obviously,) Rune, Ruud, Tiafoe, Rublev, Fritz, Sinner, Norrie. This doesn't reflect the rounds, but clearly the top half is more loaded with land-mines.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pretty big discussion over water droplets in the air and temperature :)

For me high heat is not a problem as long as it's not humid. Humidity sucks, you get all sticky and edgy in no time. In Croatia during the hot Mediterranean summer the best way to fight the heat is to go swimming. 2 times per day preferably, morning and afternoon, that's the medicine. It is completely different feeling if you don't cool yourself off in a sea, then the heat becomes hard to deal with. It is also a big difference if you are in a small tourist place where you can walk by the sea and you get a gentle breeze in the evening, compared to the concrete jungle in some bigger coastal city, it's like they warm up a few degrees more and the heat gets trapped with no place for it to disappear.

As for the places that I visited, some of the worst humid places are Singapore and New Orleans.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, back to the tournament. Skimming the draw, the top half seems to be more loaded, based on form. Tsitsipas is #2 seed, but who knows what he'll manage...Medvedev should come through there, or Felix. Top half has Alcaraz, (obviously,) Rune, Ruud, Tiafoe, Rublev, Fritz, Sinner, Norrie. This doesn't reflect the rounds, but clearly the top half is more loaded with land-mines.
Top half is packed, similar to IW, top half looked stronger there too. Would love to see Rune Alcaraz match. I think Sinner and Zverev could meet in a QF. In a bottom we have a Tsitsipas who said he wants to stay in shape and seems like he is just wasting 2nd seed spot. Felix and Tiafoe in a 4th round seems too early, tricky match to predict. I am not sure what to think of Medvedev, where his head is at and the body after the loss yesterday.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Top half is packed, similar to IW, top half looked stronger there too. Would love to see Rune Alcaraz match. I think Sinner and Zverev could meet in a QF. In a bottom we have a Tsitsipas who said he wants to stay in shape and seems like he is just wasting 2nd seed spot. Felix and Tiafoe in a 4th round seems too early, tricky match to predict. I am not sure what to think of Medvedev, where his head is at and the body after the loss yesterday.
1679359948510.png

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Now really talking about sick and demented, I've been in Chi town when it's about 40 + degrees and people are outside in shorts and tank tops. Their response to my incredulous questions as to their sanity..." It's 40 degrees, it's not cold anymore!!"

If the Sun is out, it's quite common to have 1 out of 10 wearing shorts! IDK about the tank top, but not surprising mix of shorts w/ a jacket during the day if 40+! It was a great day today except for the wind! If not for the "wind chill," it would've been more pleasant! Saw shorts today at 5 PM!:beach-with-umbrella:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jelenafan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here is the problem with having young Nordic players back at the top of the game. It's going to be endless images like this, and some kind of GOT/Norse mythology forever going forward? Not long ago, it was just the Spanish Armada v. Swiss chocolate, and a bit of Bond. OK. Girding my loins, rearranging my chainmail skirt, and looking up the words for all of those weird instruments of torture. :face-with-tears-of-joy: :crossed-swords:

• Haha
Reactions: Jelenafan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
OK, back to the tournament. Skimming the draw, the top half seems to be more loaded, based on form. Tsitsipas is #2 seed, but who knows what he'll manage...Medvedev should come through there, or Felix. Top half has Alcaraz, (obviously,) Rune, Ruud, Tiafoe, Rublev, Fritz, Sinner, Norrie. This doesn't reflect the rounds, but clearly the top half is more loaded with land-mines

Pretty big discussion over water droplets in the air and temperature :)

For me high heat is not a problem as long as it's not humid. Humidity sucks, you get all sticky and edgy in no time. In Croatia during the hot Mediterranean summer the best way to fight the heat is to go swimming. 2 times per day preferably, morning and afternoon, that's the medicine. It is completely different feeling if you don't cool yourself off in a sea, then the heat becomes hard to deal with. It is also a big difference if you are in a small tourist place where you can walk by the sea and you get a gentle breeze in the evening, compared to the concrete jungle in some bigger coastal city, it's like they warm up a few degrees more and the heat gets trapped with no place for it to disappear.

As for the places that I visited, some of the worst humid places are Singapore and New Orleans.
Thanks Don I am over talking about the weather lol! I have also visited Singapore and can attest the humidity is high
I have also lived in Papua New Guinea, and you need to take a cold shower the minute you get out of the plane,humidity is over the top, the natives go to the banks to get some relief from the heat and lie down under the fans lol! a good thing is the bread shop, the bread is always warm and the butter just melts, if you are into that kind of stuff:) where I live in Aussie the humidity is just as high as Miami or higher, I do not live in Melbourne, apparently some people think I do lol!, back to tennis
I agree with your thoughts about Meddy, I thought before the final, could he win 4 titles in a row? main point his serve left him when he most needed it, Charlie played too offensive, took the ball on too early, granted the court suited Charlie more, though he was pretty clinical in his win and defeat of Meddy.Charlie will have added pressure now, trying to defend his title in Miami and keep his No 1 spot, I have always felt defending a title is harder than winning one in ways. I am also interested in seeing how Sinner goes, he could meet Zverev, Sinner's serve let him down in his match against Charlie, something you cannot afford.Another player whose serve let him down in IW was FAA, he could meet Tsitispas in the QFs, though quite frankly I dont see Tsitispas going far.

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thiem WC vs Sonego, Dom needs to start winning again, though he keeps getting WCs and getting out in the 1st rounds
I havent read if Tsitsipas shoulder is fully recovered, he should not have attempted to play in IW for starters, I guess we will find out in his first rd match

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@Moxie, Jelenafan likes to drop jokes about Rune been The Viking, The Dane and common weapon of those people was an axe.
OK, helpful. Obviously going to have to catch up on my Viking mythology. But if you ask me, between Rune and Alcaraz, who is going to be swinging axes and who is going to be swinging spiky things at the end of chains, I'd say both from Alcaraz. Rune tends to a blunt instrument. If his tactic is to run and defend, he's going to have a short and miserable day, if he meets Carlos, and that's all he's got. Better sharpen the blades.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thiem WC vs Sonego, Dom needs to start winning again, though he keeps getting WCs and getting out in the 1st rounds
Sonego is a decent player, but, seriously, if Thiem can't get past him, I don't know what.
I havent read if Tsitsipas shoulder is fully recovered, he should not have attempted to play in IW for starters, I guess we will find out in his first rd match
Shoulder recovered or not, I won't be picking Tsitsipas to get out of his half. Felix and Meddie are in his half, so it doesn't look good for him.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sonego is a decent player, but, seriously, if Thiem can't get past him, I don't know what.

Shoulder recovered or not, I won't be picking Tsitsipas to get out of his half. Felix and Meddie are in his half, so it doesn't look good for him.
Agree with Tsitsipas not getting out of his half, sad to say I dont have much faith in Dom these days.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tsitsipas has said in Miami, Dunlop balls are having an impact on player's bodies. " I think my shoulder injury happened because of this". I played in Indian Wells only because the ATP rule book forces you to play big events".

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Public Service Announcement: 14 hours to do the Draw Challenge for those interested in playing.

I got all complacent with that yesterday, then missed the Women's. :angry-face:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Working through the draw, I see that the Danish Angel will likely meet Fucsovics the Terminator in the 2nd round. Just waiting for the memes for that one. @Jelenafan :lulz1:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
When did the Brat aka Rune become the 'flavor of the month' around here lol!
Thanasi Kokkinakis and Chris O'Connell, add Kovacevic as well, 3 LL have been promoted into the main draw after several late withdrawals opened up more places, for people doing the draw challenge

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
LL Kokkinakis will play Bergs
LL Kovacevic will play Munar
LL O'Connell will play Gasquet
For people playing the draw challenge

Reactions: AnonymousFan