Reactions
Very good for Dom, a youngster I love very much

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:
Front242 said:
OK I READ. NO NEED TO SHOUT. So what, he's not good 'cos he didn't beat Novak? Right. Makes sense. Bottom line is if he beats Federer and Nadal he's very good. Enough of the nonsense.

I'm not talking about Novak, I'm saying that winning 6 titles (250?) doesn't say too much to confirm he will have a great future. Only the time will tell us

Why did I mention Novak? I'll tell you why. You said you haven't yet seen him beat anyone playing their best. Well, since Federer and Nadal haven't played their best in years then it's clear he's never gonna beat them anymore playing their best. Can they still play well ? Of course. But to prove that he's good that leaves basically only Novak or Murray according to that logic since they're the only two playing very well right now. I agree about your last line, only time will tell how well his future goes but being number
7 already is pretty good imo.

That's the main problem,who is playing well? Monfils? Tsonga? Berdych? Nishi? Raonic? (now with three coaches...or now or never lol) Ferrer? Roger? Muzz who had to decided to reunite with Lendl again to see if he can improve his game/mind because his results?
Yep, this would be the best opportunity for the youngest ones to do something better , maybe Wimbledon will bring us something better and new from them? I hope so imo

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The fact of the matter is maybe this is finally one of the youngsters stepping up to fill a much needed space as far as play is concerned. As long as Thiem remains healthy he is certainly someone who can provide a nice spoiler to anyone at any of the events he enters. He is gaining traction and the more confident he grows the better for tennis fans to have a potential spoiler at these events. He went through some nice opponents at Stuttgart. It wasn't easy for him by any means, but he kept his focus when it mattered which is what wins titles.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The king is not how many events are 250 events, but the quality of the players he has beaten in all events. He has beaten top five and ten players and won 4 titles this year alone. He has played 20 deciding sets this year and won all but one!!! That is a crucial statistic IMHO. Novak has a record like that.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Congrats to Thiem, although I was not expecting at the beginning of the tourney that he will be able to win. Now he has secured to enough point to overcome the deficit in grass points compared to Berdych.

Contrary to what people say, I think it would be a good idea for him to play in Halle. After all, there is a week of rest after that before Wimbledon. Further he has not locked up a top 8 seed right now. If he can put on a decent show at Halle (does not have to win), he would have a lock on top 8 seeding which is really important.

However, after the Wimbledon is over, he should pare down his schedule little bit and stop playing in itsy bitsy events and I think he will do that. When you are in the range of 40 and above in rankings, you don't know how many matches you will win in a tourney and so you keep signing on to lots of them. But, once you have achieved consistency, it is possible to pick and choose tourneys. I am sure he will do that. He is not doing a scheduling mistake so far. He just exceeded expectations. I a sure he can and will adjust his schedule.

p.s. Kohly is actually a tough customer in general, and in German grass in particular.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yep, and this year has been and is a good time to beat some of the top players, isn't?.....:s