List of Players With Careers Currently in Shambles

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Here is my list of players with careers, IMO, that are currently in total an utter shambles.

Currently is the operative word, for we all know things can change quickly.

Criteria is former top 25, Grand Slam semi finalist or better, or Masters 1000 winner:

1-Nicolai Davydenko

2-Gilles Simon

3-Gael Monfils

4-Juan Monaco

5-Fernando Verdsaco

6-Philipp Kohlshreiber

7-Sam Querrey

8-Tommy Haas

9-Jerzy Janowicz

10-Special honors to poor Del Po, feel bad for the guy. :(

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Here is my list of players with careers, IMO, that are currently in total an utter shambles.

Criteria is former top 25, Grand Slam semi finalist or better, or Masters 1000 winner:

1-Nicolai Davydenko

2-Gilles Simon

3-Gael Monfils

4-Juan Monaco

5-Fernando Verdsaco

6-Philipp Kohlshreiber

7-Sam Querrey

8-Tommy Haas

9-Jerzy Janowicz

Take off Tommy Haas from your list. He is actually on an upswing now and
is in top 16 and is playing very well.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Luxilon Borg said:

1-Nicolai Davydenko

2-Gilles Simon

3-Gael Monfils

4-Juan Monaco

5-Fernando Verdsaco

6-Philipp Kohlshreiber

7-Sam Querrey

8-Tommy Haas

9-Jerzy Janowicz

I included him because he has retired or withdrawn from 5 or 6 events this year...1st rd loss in Australia, and withdrawal from Miami.

A 9 -7 2014 W L record is sub par for #13 in the world.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with some but have questions or comments about others:

- Davydenko: as a few of us mentioned on another thread, I think he's contented to play on and collect the $€ until he quits. I don't think he cares, so maybe that doesn't qualify.

- What do you think is going on with Simon and Kohlscreiber? I consider them spoilers, and I hadn't noticed a particular downfall, so I'm curious as to what your assessment.

- Monfils: He was recently in a final v. Rafa. He's always erratic and plagued by injury. I know he can't keep rising from the dead forever, but is he in free-fall?

- Haas/JJ: I take your point, but I think it's too early to call it a shambles, and maybe also same with Janowicz…or I hope, anyway.

I don't really disagree with you, but I'm interested in your further analysis. Cheers.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I agree with some but have questions or comments about others:

- Davydenko: as a few of us mentioned on another thread, I think he's contented to play on and collect the $€ until he quits. I don't think he cares, so maybe that doesn't qualify.

- What do you think is going on with Simon and Kohlscreiber? I consider them spoilers, and I hadn't noticed a particular downfall, so I'm curious as to what your assessment.

- Monfils: He was recently in a final v. Rafa. He's always erratic and plagued by injury. I know he can't keep rising from the dead forever, but is he in free-fall?

- Haas/JJ: I take your point, but I think it's too early to call it a shambles, and maybe also same with Janowicz…or I hope, anyway.

I don't really disagree with you, but I'm interested in your further analysis. Cheers.

It's hard to say that Davy does not care. He is certainly trying when he is out there. I would find it hard to believe he does would not want to win more tournies.

Kohlshreiber has made multiple Slam quarters and some decent wins under his belt. He has only managed to win more than two matches in row once the whole year, at Dubai.

First match lost at both Indian Wells and Miami. Pretty dismal.

Simon is a former # 6 player in the world! 4 and 5 this year.

Zero wins at IW and Miami...

Monfils won Montpellier but has one exactly one match since. Out first match in Miami.

Haas obviously has injury issues. JJ has done ZIP since the Wmby semi. Jut my thoughts.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Luxilon Borg said:

1-Nicolai Davydenko

2-Gilles Simon

3-Gael Monfils

4-Juan Monaco

5-Fernando Verdsaco

6-Philipp Kohlshreiber

7-Sam Querrey

8-Tommy Haas

9-Jerzy Janowicz

I included him because he has retired or withdrawn from 5 or 6 events this year...1st rd loss in Australia, and withdrawal from Miami.

A 9 -7 2014 W L record is sub par for #13 in the world.

I was behind on catching up with news. I didn't realize that he withdrew from M.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Seems about right except for Haas whose shoulder has sadly started acting up on him again this year and he's still playing too much :nono JJ hasn't been the same since his back started giving trouble so maybe that explains his poor form too.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Davydenko certainly tried his best against Gasquet at the AO too so he still gives it his best shot but it's just not enough these days unfortunately. He says he's not willing to put in the effort to do the cardio necessary to go above world number 50.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Davydenko certainly tried his best against Gasquet at the AO too so he still gives it his best shot but it's just not enough these days unfortunately. He says he's not willing to put in the effort to do the cardio necessary to go above world number 50.

Really? When did Davy actually say that?:puzzled

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Seems about right except for Haas whose shoulder has sadly started acting up on him again this year and he's still playing too much :nono JJ hasn't been the same since his back started giving trouble so maybe that explains his poor form too.

Does not bode well for Tommy. How will his shoulder possibly take the punishment of the clay season with tougher rallies, higher bounces, and longer matches. This could be the last hurrah.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Front242 said:

He said he was content with being top 50 these days as he didn't feel like training hard enough to compete any better than that. It was on tennis.com a few months ago.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Front242 said:

Does not bode well for Tommy. How will his shoulder possibly take the punishment of the clay season with tougher rallies, higher bounces, and longer matches. This could be the last hurrah.

Would be very sensible if he'd just play hardly any clay tournaments and aim to do well in Halle, Wimbledon and everything after that.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Front242 said:

He said he was content with being top 50 these days as he didn't feel like training hard enough to compete any better than that. It was on tennis.com a few months ago.

Sheesh. Never heard an ATP player talk like that before. Well then he should quit.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Front242 said:

Would be very sensible if he'd just play hardly any clay tournaments and aim to do well in Halle, Wimbledon and everything after that.
Yes skipping the clay season would be smart to,let the shoulder heal.

But can he resist the Appearance $$$ in Europe.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Not when he can make a good living from it and there's always a chance he'll beat a few top players on a bad day for them and a good day for him. He either said he didn't want to train hard to compete at the highest level anymore, or that it didn't require as much training to stay top 50. It was one or the other he was quoted as saying, can't recall which. Maybe check tennis.com old news.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Not when he can make a good living from it and there's always a chance he'll beat a few top players on a bad day for them and a good day for him. He either said he didn't want to train hard to compete at the highest level anymore, or that it didn't require as much training to stay top 50. It was one or the other he was quoted as saying, can't recall which. Maybe check tennis.com old news.

“I don’t want to push myself any more. I am happy to maintain my Top 50 ranking and enjoy tennis,” he said. “My wrist injury has fully recovered, but at this age it is not easy staying fit throughout the entire year.”

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Well done for finding it. So there you go. He's content at the top 50.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
that is a sad mentality. but oh well..

I may have to bump him from the list and add J W S.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:

It would be sad if he weren't past his prime, over the hill, and had a laundry list of injuries. He's been in the top 5, tried his best, and was a factor in slams. He's done well. There's not much wrong with just enjoying things without putting too much pressure on yourself, both mental and physical.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Luxilon Borg said:

It would be sad if he weren't past his prime, over the hill, and had a laundry list of injuries. He's been in the top 5, tried his best, and was a factor in slams. He's done well. There's not much wrong with just enjoying things without putting too much pressure on yourself, both mental and physical.

I remember him winning the WTF in truly spectacular fashion. That was actually his last feat, I think he must have considered his career complete after that win.