The Magnificent Seven: Your Own List of 7 Greatest Players of All Time

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is the Discuss Tennis Challenge of Month for December. You can get an early start.

December is a busy month for most as people make holiday travel plans and start getting ready for Christmas. I thought this would be a good time to get this particular party started.

Who gets to be on your very own list of "The Magnificent Seven"?

Lets have some fun with this. Post away and have a blast.

Who will step right up and take this challenge first? You have the floor. Run with it.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the rules are simple: just have fun with this. this can be objective or subjective or some combination of both.

you decide to do it anyway you like.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have to ponder over this as well. I know Laver (The Rocket) is going to be on my list. I also see how Rafa, Roger, Sampras, and djokovic on my list of The Magnificent Seven.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I can give you only a list of 3 most magnificent players of all times, but in no particular order until they finish their careers. ;-)

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If we are talking men's tour, my magnificent 7 will be Tilden, Kramer, Gonzales, Laver, Borg, Sampras and Federer.  Some of those would get killed by many players today, but they were giants in their eras of tennis and some were household names at one point.  Some of them I personally find offensive because of how they lived off of the court, but you can't deny how huge they were to the sport historically.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Laver

Emerson

Borg : Huge X factor. Left too many slams on the table

Federer

Rafa: Huge X factor. Left too many slams on the table

Djokovic

Sampras

(in no particular order)

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
How has Nadal left too many slams at the table? He got hurt and didn't play in a few. That's about it. It's not like he was guaranteed to win any of them.

Reactions: Rides

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In chronological order:  Pancho Gonzalez, Rod Laver, Bjorn Borg, Pete Sampras, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Jeepers! You could say the same about Roger and Novak couldn't you?

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:
In chronological order: Pancho Gonzalez, Rod Laver, Bjorn Borg, Pete Sampras, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic.

Good list and, to be honest, along the lines of what I originally wanted to put down--but then I realized three of the seven would be of the last decade and so I went back in time. I chose Federer from the current crop because the epoch is measured by and against him--he won the most slams, appeared in the most finals, won the most tournaments, is third on the Masters list and finished world number one five times to Novak's four and Rafa's two.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't feel qualified to talk about players outside of my time really. Otherwise I would obviously include the likes of Laver and Rosewall without too much thought. I'll keep mine focussed on the greatest players of my time...in no particular order, and bearing in mind the title is not gender specific. Also I'm not going to restrict myself to 7. I'll just mention all the players I have seen who either have a case to be in the 'greatest of all time', or in their day were absolutely dominant beasts

Federer, Sampras, Nadal, Djokovic, Borg, Navratilova, Evert, Graf, S Williams, Seles, Lendl

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Federberg said:
I don’t feel qualified to talk about players outside of my time really. Otherwise I would obviously include the likes of Laver and Rosewall without too much thought. I’ll keep mine focussed on the greatest players of my time…in no particular order, and bearing in mind the title is not gender specific. Also I’m not going to restrict myself to 7. I’ll just mention all the players I have seen who either have a case to be in the ‘greatest of all time’, or in their day were absolutely dominant beasts Federer, Sampras, Nadal, Djokovic, Borg, Navratilova, Evert, Graf, S Williams, Seles, Lendl
good list.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If we are talking men's tour, my magnificent 7 will be Tilden, Kramer, Gonzales, Laver, Borg, Sampras and Federer. Some of those would get killed by many players today, but they were giants in their eras of tennis and some were household names at one point. Some of them I personally find offensive because of how they lived off of the court, but you can't deny how huge they were to the sport historically.

OH I MISSED SHAWNBM ... i remember you from other tennis sites ..such a great fellow poster!

ANYWAY --

those are great lists -- giving respect to the best of their era as the qualification.

i also thik that even if the 'times have changed"

including the far more advanced and ''scientific" training mthods today that naturally enhance the ''physicality" ...

there is STILL something to be said about the exemplary demonstrations of the greatest of any era...

and i consider among the very , very best ATHLETES -- with or without training as we consider them today --

wer PANCHO GONZALEZ AND PETE SAMPRAS.

however -- in PURE records --

no one can really deny that ROGER FEDERER tops the list of the most accomplished of the players as a singles champion.

in terms of the sheer sterling excellence for such a consistent manner against PEERS that once were his ''superiors" -- I NAME NOVAK DJOKOVIC as simply phenomenal -- not least because of not just his own talent -- but in his complete professionalism in TRULY discovering the ''SOLUTIONS" to EVEN the greatest of th greats such as ROGER AND RAFA.

taht IS NOT something to sniff at , imo. and to DEMONSTRATE it with such consistency in the biggest stages and under expectations shows what a superb individual NOLE IS.

I ALSO name RAFA -- regardless of his current really disappointing results and loss of confidence --
as already AMONG the very greatest of all time.

we are just having a great, great time for tennis. ENJOY THEM ALL .

AND YES -- ROGER (even if i was never his biggest fan ) --

GET WELL SOON -- TENNIS NEEDS YOU!

and NOLE said that too. AND ALSO TO RAFA AND WELCOME BACK TO JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Yep, @shawnbm is a smart chap, one of the best.

I remember you being a big Pancho fan teddy, along with Pete, Steffi and Serena obviously. Who's your favourite player these days? Nole?

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
I don't believe one should combine men and women in any list of singles or same sex doubles tennis accomplishments.There are enough great women and men to merit their own lists.

One should not compare raw numbers. They are simply too different, different leagues if one will, competing only against their own kind.
Otherwise I would not hesitate to list Esther Vergeer at the top of a combined list and it would not be close. But she quite rightfully belongs at the very top of the women's tennis wheelchair players.

As to the question at hand, it is too tough for me to limit this to 7 All Time. 7 in the Open Era, ok. But all time? I'm going to extend it to 10, and even that will slight some.

After the majors were open to all countries in 1924-25 In the pre-Open Era, my men's list of those who left an indelible mark on the game along with most important accomplishments would have to read:

1. Bill "Big Bill" Tilden (10 majors, 6 consecutive and 7 US Championships, 4 "Pro Slams")

2. Donald "Donnie" Budge (6 consecutive majors, including Grand Slam, 4 "Pro Slams", 4 years #1)

3. Richard Alonzo "Pancho" Gonzales(z) (2 majors, 15 "Pro Slams", 8 consecutive years @ #1, won last tournament (ATP) at age 43 yrs 9 months)

4. Ken "Muscles" Rosewall (8 majors, 15 Pro Slams, his last 4 majors in the Open Era won at age 33, 35, 36, 37)

5. Rod "Rocket" Laver
(2 time winner of "The Grand Slam", 200 titles, Most titles/year as amateur[22], touring pro[19], and Open Era [18]).

6. James "Jimmy" Connors (8 majors, most titles of the open Era (109). Third in OE weeks at #1 with 268. He along with Borg brought tennis to the mainstream).

7. Bjorn "Iceman" Borg - (11 majors, Owner of record 3 straight years of the hardest double in tennis, "The Channel Slam" - Roland Garros[6]/Wimbledon[5], tennis legend - "He was bigger than the game - like Elvis..." - Arthur Ashe )

8. Pete "Pistol Pete" Sampras (14 majors, 7 Wimbledons, 5 US Open's, 2 Australian Opens, and the best 1-2 punch in the game. Second in OE weeks at #1 with 286)

9. Roger "Maestro" Federer (17 majors, 7 Wimbledons [5 consecutive] and 10 finals, and 5 consecutive US Opens, 4 Australian Opens, 1 French Open, OE record of 302 weeks at #1 )

10. Rafael "King of Clay" Nadal ( 14 majors, record 9 of 9 finals at Roland Garros, 2 Wimbledon, 2 USO, 1 AO, 10 consecutive years winning a major, )

At a later time, I might provide the detail that explain my selections.

It's difficult for me to leave many players out. Just in the Open Era alone, in the very competitive 80's John "The Brat" McEnroe and Ivan "The Terrible" or "Ironman" Lendl belong, and Boris "Boom Boom" Becker and Stefan "Sportsmanship" Edberg were no slouches. In the 90's and early 2000's one could add Andre "Image is Everything" Agassi. From 2011-now, Novak "The Djoker" Djokovic is getting up there as well and is likely to be added to my list, and is probably already on many lists of his fans.

Most respectfully,
masterclass

Last edited:
Reactions: britbox

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Agassi, Kuerten, Edberg, Becker.

I don't care what happened before the 80s and I prefer to put a player like Kuerten on my team over Sampras.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

I don't care what happened before the 80s and I prefer to put a player like Kuerten on my team over Sampras.

Is it because Sampras stunk on clay? If that's your reasoning you might prefer putting a player like Gaudio on your team over Becker.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is it because Sampras stunk on clay? If that's your reasoning you might prefer putting a player like Gaudio on your team over Becker.
Ha! I think that's right. I love Kueten but he won 3 majors at the French only. To put him on and leave Pete off seems, well odd, anyway. If it's a list of favorites, it's one thing. If it's a list of greats, it's hard to leave Sampras off. And he is far from my favorite.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Q: What's the chance i'll ever see a level-headed and objective Djokovic fan?

A: a lot less than Kuerton winning Wimbledon, that's for sure.