New York Open Players List

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
DVige5dVAAE5Y31.jpg

2018 NEW YORK OPEN PLAYER FIELD ANNOUNCED

LONG ISLAND (January 3, 2018) – The New York Open ATP World Tour tennis tournament will make its debut Feb. 11-18 with a player field highlighted by four of the world’s top-25 ranked players, the No. 1-ranked players from South Africa, Japan, Korea, and Israel, and nine Americans who have been accepted directly into the singles main draw.

Kevin Anderson, South Africa’s top ranked player and No. 14 in the world, has committed to play. Anderson holds three career titles and made it to the finals of the 2017 US Open. He also reached the quarterfinals of the 2017 ATP World Tour Masters 1,000 in Montreal, as well as the finals of the Citi Open ATP 500 tournament in Washington, DC.

Early commitments for the singles draw included top 50-ranked players Sam Querrey (No. 13); 2017 BB&T Atlanta Open and Hall of Fame Open champion John Isner (No. 17); four-time Memphis Open champion and world’s former No. 5 player Kei Nishikori (No. 22); 2017 Memphis Open winner Ryan Harrison (No. 47), and 2018 Australian Open Boy’s Singles Champion Sebastian Korda (No. 846).

American players Steve Johnson (No. 44), Jared Donaldson (No. 54), Donald Young (No. 61), and Frances Tiafoe (No. 79), and former junior Wimbledon champions Noah Rubin and Reilly Opelka round out the strong U.S. field for the New York Open, the first U.S. stop of the year on the ATP World Tour.

World No. 28 Adrian Mannarino of France, Israel’s No. 1 player Dudi Sela, Russia’s Evgeny Donskoy, who defeated Roger Federer at the 2017 Dubai Tennis Championships, and Victor Estrella Burgos of the Dominican Republic, who is one of Latin America’s top competitors, are just a few players to watch in the tournament’s international field.

The 2018 New York Open will mark the return of the ATP World Tour to the New York metropolitan area and Long Island since 2005. GF Sports, a live events and sports media entertainment company, acquired the former Memphis Open in 2015 and partnered with Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment to move the tournament to Long Island. The event is one of the longest-running American tournaments on the ATP World Tour and the only indoor championship contested in the United States.

“One of our biggest goals for the New York Open is to continue the development of American tennis by providing a chance for young hopefuls, and veterans alike, with an opportunity to play and succeed,” said Josh Ripple, Tournament Director. “It’s really exciting to have a strong player field, and U.S. representation, for the tournament’s debut on Long Island.”

“We’re excited that NYCB LIVE will be the next stop on tour for an impressive field of the world’s top 100 ATP World Tour professionals, following the Australian Open,” said Brett Yormark, Chief Executive Officer of Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment. “The tournament will mark a new beginning for professional tennis on Long Island when it hosts Grand Slam champions and finalists, nine Americans, including the country’s rising stars, and a strong pool of international players next month.”

The full acceptance list is as follows:

First Name Last Name Country Rank

Sam Querrey USA 13

Kevin Anderson RSA 14

John Isner USA 17

Kei Nishikori JPN 22

Adrian Mannarino FRA 28

Steve Johnson USA 44

Ryan Harrison USA 47

Jared Donaldson USA 54

Nikoloz Basilashvili GEO 59

Peter Gojowczyk GER 60

Donald Young USA 61

Dudi Sela ISR 67

Evgeny Donskoy RUS 72

Matthew Ebden AUS 76

Jeremy Chardy FRA 78

Frances Tiafoe USA 79

Ivo Karlovic CRO 80

Victor Estrella Burgos DOM 83

*Noah Rubin USA 201

*Sebastian Korda USA 846

*Denotes wild card entry.

On Feb. 11, guests who purchase an evening session ticket will have a chance to see tennis legend and honorary New York Open ambassador John McEnroe play U.S. Davis Cup champion James Blake, followed by a match between 2017 US Open women’s tennis champion Sloane Stephens and Canada’s No. 1 Eugenie Bouchard. All four players will take part in a mixed doubles matchup after singles play. All matches will be eight-game pro-sets.

Ted Dimond is the official artist of the New York Open.

Reactions: Moxie

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Very good player field and I really like the art by the tournaments official artist Ted Dimond. Check out more of his work on twitter and instagram @tedimondart Very interested to see how young Korda plays, I think he's ready to win his first APT main tour match. Rubin comes in in pretty good form too.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm very excited for another tournament in New York!

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Wow that is a surprise. We can credentials (two) for a few days at the Australian Open. We have gotten credentials for US Open, Miami, Monte Carlo, Newport, Delray, Washington, Cincy. Maybe NY Open is getting an avalanche of requests? I wouldn't be surprised if Rubin subconsciously tanked SF to get a head start for NY Open which is a very important personal, hometown event for him. Jung is no slouch though, he's been grinding and believing in himself and that's why he's still out there at 28 as a no name sub journeyman. He's got the unwavering Estrella Burgos self belief. At least NY Open will be heavily televised on Tennis Channel.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Very good player field and I really like the art by the tournaments official artist Ted Dimond. Check out more of his work on twitter and instagram @tedimondart Very interested to see how young Korda plays, I think he's ready to win his first APT main tour match. Rubin comes in in pretty good form too.
There are no Brits in there. I don't know who to support unless I just say may the best man win.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

The Sarasota Open Challenger last year was charging like 80 bucks for the night session which was ONE match. People were not happy with that. Sure enough, the tournament has moved again about 15 miles away to Laurel Oak where Seles used to live. Fourth different site in five years. A lot of pro tournaments are struggling to make ends meet without big stars playing and it's just too expensive to pay a hefty appearance fee to a player who hasn't won a major. Querrey was making demands to play Sarasota last year, like driving his own Range Rover. Imagine these tournament directors have a lot of fires to extinguish.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

I'm surprised Sandgren isn't being lured with appearance fees as he is the unofficial top American right now and the red hot name. Unless the tournament has Fed, Rafa, Djok or Serena in it's lineup, it's gonna be a tough sell to attract fans who want to see stars not guys ranked 24 in the world.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine I believe it's the owner of the tournament who is responsible for prize money to players.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

NY Open should resort to creative gimmickry to promote the event: here I will offer free Tennis-prose gimmickry to the event...Hire John McEnroe and Andy Roddick as rotating chair umpires for the entire duration of the event... hire old USA network TV interview Michael Barkann as on court interviewer... specify one day of the tournament where every player has to wear all black to match the court... ban all players from pointing for towels, for the NY Open the player has to get his own towel after points. Ball kids are responsible for balls not towels... have a special exhibition match between Mike Tyson vs Lennox Lewis on semifinal Saturday ...

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Dan, the sunglasses on players disconnects them from fans. It's a barrier. Fans like to see players eyes.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Duke, did they blatantly tank the doubles? If so it's a gross insult to he Fed Cup.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

NY Open should resort to creative gimmickry to promote the event: here I will offer free Tennis-prose gimmickry to the event...Hire John McEnroe and Andy Roddick as rotating chair umpires for the entire duration of the event... hire old USA network TV interview Michael Barkann as on court interviewer... specify one day of the tournament where every player has to wear all black to match the court... ban all players from pointing for towels, for the NY Open the player has to get his own towel after points. Ball kids are responsible for balls not towels... have a special exhibition match between Mike Tyson vs Lennox Lewis on semifinal Saturday ...
Well, I'm sure you're kidding, but I can't think of any reason that the New York Open should be a circus event. Surely NY doesn't have to resort to gimmickry to make popular an event in one of the most populous and tennis-obsessed areas of the country. No surprise that they lured it away from Memphis. No one goes to Memphis for tennis, in the same way that no one goes to Long Island for the Blues. ;)

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

So now Serena is 0-2 in her first two matches back this year, the loss att he exo to Ostapenko and now this in Fed Cup doubles. There has to be some concerns now if she will be able to regain her movement. It all comes down to movement and if Serena has lost that fraction of agility and speed and anticipation, she could become ordinary fast. Movement does not matter as much in doubles and yet the Ws still lost to a pair of no-names. There has to be major concerns right now in the Williams camp.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Not sure what Sumyk brings to the table for Muguruza, but we know what Conchita brings - experience of winning a major title and hundreds of matches on the WTA Tour. It's a no brainer Garbine will never say "tell me something I don't know" to Conchita as her coach.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

That's a bad loss for Maria. Niculescu is a type of player Maria used to handle comfortably. Losing to her shows that Maria is in decline, in my opinion. I would guess Maria owns a decisive head to head record vs Monica, despite the result today.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Whoa I stand corrected. This was their first meeting today. They are both 30 yrs old. A strange quirk that they have never played each other before today.