11. Jelena Ostapenko
12. Belinda Bencic
13. Jessica Pegula
14. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
15. Coco Gauff
16. Victoria Azarenka

Roma-Foro-Italico-panoramica-2019-1600x1087.jpg.jpg

The Tournament:

The Italian Open, originally called the Italian International Championships, is a tennis tournament held in Rome, Italy. It is one of the most important clay tennis tournaments in the world with the men's competition being an ATP Tour Masters 1000 event on the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) tour, and the women's competition being a WTA 1000 event on the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) tour. The two events were combined in 2011. The tournament is played on clay courts, currently during the second week of May. The event is also known as the "Rome Masters" for male edition, as well as sponsored name "Internazionali BNL d'Italia". Rafael Nadal has won the men's singles title a record ten times.

About Rome:

Rome is the capital city of Italy. It is also the capital of the Lazio region, the centre of the Metropolitan City of Rome, and a special comune named Comune di Roma Capitale. With 2,860,009 residents in 1,285 km2 (496.1 sq mi), Rome is the country's most populated comune and the third most populous city in the European Union by population within city limits. The Metropolitan City of Rome, with a population of 4,355,725 residents, is the most populous metropolitan city in Italy. Its metropolitan area is the third-most populous within Italy. Rome is located in the central-western portion of the Italian Peninsula, within Lazio (Latium), along the shores of the Tiber. Vatican City (the smallest country in the world) is an independent country inside the city boundaries of Rome, the only existing example of a country within a city. Rome is often referred to as the City of Seven Hills due to its geographic location, and also as the "Eternal City". Rome is generally considered to be the "cradle of Western Christian culture and civilization", and the center of the Catholic Church.
2880px-Engelsburg_und_Engelsbrücke_abends.jpg

Pantheon_Rom_1_cropped.jpg

Tourism Guide:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Filling out my bracket for the draw challenge. (10 hours left, people!) Osaka meets Sorribes Tormo first round. What to do?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Filling out my bracket for the draw challenge. (10 hours left, people!) Osaka meets Sorribes Tormo first round. What to do?
Hmmm Osaka needs patience on the clay for starters and I thought her game in Madrid would suit her,
It is difficult to hit through SST,though Jessica did in her q/final match in Madrid.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Hmmm Osaka needs patience on the clay for starters and I thought her game in Madrid would suit her,
It is difficult to hit through SST,though Jessica did in her q/final match in Madrid.
Osaka need to go to the Wizard (go back to Oz)to get (heart, courage and some tennis IQ)!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Osaka need to go to the Wizard (go back to Oz)to get (heart, courage and some tennis IQ)!
Osaka cant do that right now until 2023...clay and grass are not her forte, though she has said recently she wants to improve on both surfaces, though she needs to get as much tournament matches as she can on both surfaces.
Osaka cannot just waltz into these tournaments without putting in a lot of effort.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Osaka cant do that right now until 2023...clay and grass are not her forte, though she has said recently she wants to improve on both surfaces, though she needs to get as much tournament matches as she can on both surfaces.
Osaka cannot just waltz into these tournaments without putting in a lot of effort.
I was kidding about going back to A0 but not going to see the wizard

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting 1st Rd matches 9th May,

Coco Gauff (15) vs A.Kerber
S.Halep vs A.Cornet
C.Giorgi vs A.Tomljanovic
V.Azarenka (16) vs V.Golubic
L.Fernandez vs A.Pavlyuchenkova (14)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Naomi Osaka has withdrawn with a left achilles injury and will be replaced in the draw by Nuria Parrizas
Clara Tauson has withdrawn with a lower back injury, and will be replaced by LL Madison Brengle

Last edited:

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Coco at her best defeating Kerber - she'll be great Coco. Clara Tauson has back problems and is also out of Strassbourg
1652119283365.png

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Leylah Fernandez defeated the No 14 seed A.Pavlyuchenkova 16 62 62.The only seed defeated in today's play.

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Matches to See, Tuesday 10th May,
Emma Raducanu (10) vs Bianca Andreescu
Ons Jabeur (9) vs Sorana Cristea
Jessica Pegula (13) vs Liudmila Samsonova
Sloane Stephens vs Ekaterina Alexandrova
Amanda Anisimova vs T.Martincova

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Love watching Bianca when she is playing good tennis she currently leads Emma 5-1 1st set
Bianca wins the 1st set 62.
BTW Emma took a MTO just before Bianca was to serve for the 1st set? which I feel is unfair, Emma apparently has been struggling with a bad back?....quite frankly she always has some type of injury going on.I honestly feel she should be spending time in the gym for strengthening and building some muscle.Another factor she has not won 3 consecutive matches since winning the USO last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10isfan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Is there a video of Serena practicing or do I need to just watch more of her numerous commercials (good for her, she deserves it)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Is there a video of Serena practicing or do I need to just watch more of her numerous commercials (good for her, she deserves it)
I havent to date seen any video's of Serena at practice, though I know she attended the motor car race in Miami on the weekend, Caroline Wozniacki, Juan Del Potro were also there.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As I thought Emma Raducanu has retired in her match against Bianca Andreescu with a back injury
Bianca received a walkover to the next round 62 2-1 over Emma.
Sara Sorribes Tormo retired in her match with a back injury her opponent LL Nuria parrizas Diaz recevies a walkover to the next round.Sarra was leading 61 4-3 when she had to retire

The only seed to be defeated was Jelena Ostapenko 11th seed, defeated by Lauren Davis with ease 62 63

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Matches to see Wednesday 11th May, a lot of the higher seeds start their matches today.,
A.Kontaveit (5) vs P.Martic
P.Badosa (2) vs A.Sasnovich
A.Sabalenka (3) vs S.Zhang
K.Pliskova (6) vs J.Teichmann
I.Swiatek (1) vs E.Ruse
M.Sakkari (4) vs E.Alexandrova
B.Bencic (12) vs A.Anisimova
J.Pegula (13) vs A.Kalinina
G.Murguruza (8) vs Y.Putintseva.