Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy - WTA 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rough start for Swiatek v. Azarenka, but she's got it back on serve. It's been a slog. 58 minutes in, and it's 4-3 in the first.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I think she will pull a Federer. Announce that she'll come back to a tournament, but surprise, you'll find out later that it's her last tournament.
I wonder which finals match post baby birth she feels surprised she got defeated so easily although she NEVER won a single set. I think it was the Wimbledon lost to Halep,IMO.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I wonder which finals match post baby birth she feels surprised she got defeated so easily although she NEVER won a single set. I think it was the Wimbledon lost to Halep,IMO.
I would say so. She had already reached 2 other slam finals and I thought she was playing pretty well that fortnight. By the time she reached the USO final later that summer she had no answers for Bebe. I remember saying back then, that Andreescu was the last person she needed to see in the final.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Hour and a quarter in, and they're still contesting the first set.
At least Vika stopped the run of games. She was in danger of losing 6 in a row after winning the first 3.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Unless this match ends in the next 30 minutes, they will push the Center court men's matches severely off schedule.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Mugu will not win another slam. She only raises her game to beat the Williams and they aren't likely to reach anymore slam finals. She constantly plays down to the level of most of her opponents like Keys.
Good points. I really was thinking Vee was going to win that final vs Mugu. Too bad Ash retired because it was actually good to see someone like her and Iga win consistently.

Reactions: kskate2

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco needs to take smaller steps and needs to move with more balance(sounds hard but its possible). Today, Arias said that Iga had been practicing hitting (shadow boxing swinging) in water on a paddleboard. The ladies on the tour are better athletes than the days of the Williams sisters, Davenport, Hingis and etc. Venus, Serena, Henin and Hingis were better athletes than most of the players on the tour at that time. Today, its about 15 to 20 ladies that are really athletic. A really smart player like Ash is able to excel because she makes the game a chess match instead of being a ball basher. Coco needs a FT coach like Kamau Murray or Sasha or Cahill that can give her what she needs to make it quickly to the next level. IMO.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow.. Courier just said exactly what i posted earlier about CoCo.. Are you guys sure they are not reading these boards? jajaja

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco needs to take smaller steps and needs to move with more balance(sounds hard but its possible). Today, Arias said that Iga had been practicing hitting (shadow boxing swinging) in water on a paddleboard. The ladies on the tour are better athletes than the days of the Williams sisters, Davenport, Hingis and etc. Venus, Serena, Henin and Hingis were better athletes than most of the players on the tour at that time. Today, its about 15 to 20 ladies that are really athletic. A really smart player like Ash is able to excel because she makes the game a chess match instead of being a ball basher. Coco needs a FT coach like Kamau Murray or Sasha or Cahill that can give her what she needs to make it quickly to the next level. IMO.
How many times have I said that about Coco btw...

Reactions: the AntiPusher

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Jim Knows I have my limits with his commentaries
As a multiple major-winning champion, he could be a good commentator, but he’s not. His entire approach is to talk down to everyone as if we’re watching tennis for the first time, and he’s the expert who knows everything.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
4 seeds were defeated on Thursday 12th May
Probably the biggest upset was the No 2 seed Badosa who lost in straight sets to Kasatkina, who is having a very solid tournament so far.
Collins No 7, Azarenka (16), Gauff (15) also lost their Rd 16 matches

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Q/Finals Friday 13th May,

I.Swiatek (1) vs B.Andreescu ...............First meeting
O.Jabeur (9) vs M.Sakkari (4)...............H2H 1 all
A.Sabalenka (3) vs A.Anisimova...........H2H Anisimova 4-0 ( 3-0 on clay)
J.Teichmann vs D.Kasatkina.................H2H Kasatkina 1-0 (HC)

Reactions: tented