Indian Wells 2015

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Did not see either match as I am stuck at work. But, happy with the results, especially the Bagel
that Fed feed the Bird.

Berdych has total up a lot of Bagels in few months. Too many for top 10 player. Almost get double by Djoker...now this. So, are Big Three becoming bigger or something ? New Goldern era.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
^ Could not should. We could apply the "should" logic to any match in history.

We also should practice what we preach, because you've applied the "should" logic to many Federer losses. Off the top of my head, the US Open 2009 loss to Del Potro.

Regardless, I only watched the first two sets, and I actually agree Nadal didn't play that badly (I missed the third so I can't comment). It's not easy to play with no rhythm. The terrible aspect was the return and that's what cost him in the tie break.

Despite the win, I'm actually left completely underwhelmed by how garbage the rest of Raonic's game is (excluding the serve).

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^ inside out forehand is pretty good.

Rafa was happy himself too btw.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Front242 said:

We also should practice what we preach, because you've applied the "should" logic to many Federer losses. Off the top of my head, the US Open 2009 loss to Del Potro.

Regardless, I only watched the first two sets, and I actually agree Nadal didn't play that badly (I missed the third so I can't comment). It's not easy to play with no rhythm. The terrible aspect was the return and that's what cost him in the tie break.

Despite the win, I'm actually left completely underwhelmed by how garbage the rest of Raonic's game is (excluding the serve).

The fact that you don't find the rest of Raonic's game impressive is what should concern you and all of us non Raonic fans. Rafa played well enough to win, couldn't take his chance. Roanic out gutted him and stepped up at key moments. I was very impressed actually. I'm not a fan, but this guy has weapons in his forehand, serve and his volleying is getting better. He was able to stay with Rafa in long rallies as the match progressed. He really believes. Someone like Dimi tries, but he believes. I think Roger will beat him today, but if Raonic were to win that match it would tell me he's ready to win slams

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Front242 said:

The fact that you don't find the rest of Raonic's game impressive is what should concern you and all of us non Raonic fans. Rafa played well enough to win, couldn't take his chance. Roanic out gutted him and stepped up at key moments. I was very impressed actually. I'm not a fan, but this guy has weapons in his forehand, serve and his volleying is getting better. He was able to stay with Rafa in long rallies as the match progressed. He really believes. Someone like Dimi tries, but he believes. I think Roger will beat him today, but if Raonic were to win that match it would tell me he's ready to win slams

It's not because a player is able to beat both Nadal and Federer in a tourney that he's able to win Wimbly...see Nalby and many others. Even if Milos beat Federer, I don't think he'll win a GS one day

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^If you think Raonic has the same lazy mentality that Nalby had you haven't been watching him closely :lolz:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I agree that Raonic's game is centered around his serve, and apart from it he does not have much, even if I would use the word "mediocre" instead of "garbage". The forehand sometimes is better than that, but yeah, that's it.

Apart from the fact that some parts of his game are slowly getting better, for example the back hand, which went from complete garbage to mediocre (even if it reverts once in a while), the point is, that he has shown the ability to play his best (whatever level it is) at key moments against Federer (Doha final, but it wasn't enough) and now Nadal (where his best was enough), as some posters also noted above. This is what makes him different from most guys on the tour.

If you want an example of the complete opposite attitude, watch the first set Nadal x Berlocq tie break of their recent Buenos Aires match.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Front242 said:

The difference here is Roger never got to match point in that match as far as I recall.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
All the time Nadal loses, this is how I feel after spending some time on a tennis forum:

giphy.gif

:p

I feel that way reading the Federer's fans comments zzzzzzz :cover

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well you shouldn't because we'd normally say he just sucked but not that he should have won.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
^If you think Raonic has the same lazy mentality that Nalby had you haven't been watching him closely :lolz:

My goodness, to compere Raonic to Nalby is crazy, Nalby was the best player even without have won any GS, Raonis is far to be great

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Sigh.. it's not about ability. It's about ambition. No one hear doubts Nalby's ability, but he wasn't a winner. Roanic clearly has the desire to go further in his career than Nalbandian. Does that make Raonic a more talented tennis player than Nalbandian? Definitely not. But he looks like he wants to be a winner. and not just eat steaks and drive fast cars. I hope you get it now..

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Front242 said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Front242 said:

The difference here is Roger never got to match point in that match as far as I recall.

:lolz: You missed your true calling, Front. You should have gone into comedy writing.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Time for Murray to end this losing streak against The Big 3.

Murray beats djokovic in 3.
Raonic shocks Federer in 3.

Caution: I did not lose logic in my predictions. :p

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
1972Murat said:
..which makes me wonder: How many people have faced match points against Rafa and went on to win ? Cannot be a whole lot of them around. Rafa is ruthless once he smells blood...

Berrer just recently for one anyway I believe.

Does anyone know of anyone else who has pulled this off?

Did Dolgopolov face match points last year?

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm really hoping for a Federer - Djokovic final. This would be the perfect surface to sniff out whether the old man still has the goods to trouble Novak this season when it will matter.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Carol35 said:
I can imagine how relieved the Roger fans are now....lol :snicker :p

A tad relieved out of old habit, but more disappointed because I think Roger would have beaten Rafa.

Carol35 said:

You're bordering on auto-pilot level of rabid Rafa fanboyism (or fangirlism).

What I find irritating is the automatic assumption by "some" Rafa fans that Rafa "should have" won, that something must be wrong with the universe in some way. I mean, no way Rafa could have simply been outplayed because that's never happened. :nono

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
Carol35 said:
I can imagine how relieved the Roger fans are now....lol :snicker :p

A tad relieved out of old habit, but more disappointed because I think Roger would have beaten Rafa.

Carol35 said:

You're bordering on auto-pilot level of rabid Rafa fanboyism (or fangirlism).

What I find irritating is the automatic assumption by "some" Rafa fans that Rafa "should have" won, that something must be wrong with the universe in some way. I mean, no way Rafa could have simply been outplayed because that's never happened. :nono

Speaking of which, where is Kieran?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Front242 said:
1972Murat said:
..which makes me wonder: How many people have faced match points against Rafa and went on to win ? Cannot be a whole lot of them around. Rafa is ruthless once he smells blood...

Front's wrong: Nadal did not have a MP against Berrer. And, no, he did not have a MP against Dolgopolov, either.

Also, Nadal did not have a MP against Simon in Madrid. Someone mentioned that earlier, but it's also wrong.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
Denisovich said:
Front242 said:

Front's wrong: Nadal did not have a MP against Berrer. And, no, he did not have a MP against Dolgopolov, either.

That truly would be a crazy statistic, if this is the first time it has happened.

Don't know of a match where Djokovic had match points, but lost.

Definitely do know matches where Federer had match points and lost. :snicker