Indian Wells 2015

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The last ATP 1000 tourney in which Big Four = Top four was Rome 2012, almost three years
ago.

But, if you expand it to include all tourneys, it is Wimbledon 2014 (even though Murray
was not ranked high enough he was seeded high enough due to Wimbledon's formula).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Today is 'World Tennis Day".

So, Fed is playing against Baby Fed in an exo in Madison Square Garden. It will be telecast
live on espn3 at 7:30 p.m.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
auto-pilot said:
Nadal looked better at Argentina than he looked in any of the 2013 South American events.
He also looked better in Rio 2015 than he looked in Rio 2014 (compare the semi-final of 2015 to 2014, and he was much sharper in 2015 despite losing).
Anyone who watches Nadal matches is now aware of what is about to take place.
The fact that he was able to make the AO quarter-finals without any preparation after months of no play was a sign of how quickly he's able to reach the top.

Auto-pilot on auto-pilot again.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
auto-pilot said:
Nadal looked better at Argentina than he looked in any of the 2013 South American events.
He also looked better in Rio 2015 than he looked in Rio 2014 (compare the semi-final of 2015 to 2014, and he was much sharper in 2015 despite losing).
Anyone who watches Nadal matches is now aware of what is about to take place.
The fact that he was able to make the AO quarter-finals without any preparation after months of no play was a sign of how quickly he's able to reach the top.

Er no it's not. Federer won the 2006 AO having been on crutches for 2 weeks prior to the Shanghai masters just before it losing narrowly in 5 sets to Nalbandian. The top guys should really expect to reach the quarters in their sleep.

A

auto-pilot

^ That's funny considering just about everyone on every forum that I visited expressed doubt that Nadal would reach the QF (they doubted EVERY match he played).
Even Nadal's fans were in doubt.
So I wouldn't say such immediate impact is common (in best-of-5-sets), especially on Nadal's worst surface (or worst outdoor surface).

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Here is the link to the draw:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2015/404/mds.pdf

Nole has Murray, Roger has Rafa.
Possible quarters:

Nole-David , Murray-Kei , Milos-Rafa , Roger-Stan

Thanks for the link. Looks like Berdych will have to face Wawrinka in the 4th round while No. 8 Ferrer gets Cilic. That No. 8 and No. 9 difference is so huge.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ferru and Muzz playing their first match ? ugh! not too good for both of them:cover

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger gets a revenge match against Seppi in exactly the same round.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Raonic got both Dolgo and Dimi in his section. He could play them in sequence if it will play out. Not good.
:nono

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
Raonic got both Dolgo and Dimi in his section. He could play them in sequence if it will play out. Not good.
:nono

Dog is out of form

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Looking at the men's draw, the top half is loaded with players who are either in form right now or could potentially be world beater in a three set format.

Just like in the Australian Open, I love Nadal's draw. He doesn't really have to face a very tricky opponent until the Quarterfinals. Unless of course you guys consider Simon and Chardy as very tricky opponents.

It will be interesting on what Nadal's form will look like in this tournament. He has the type of draw where he could play his way through in the tournament. At the same time, it is best of three sets so he could potentially lose early like last year.

Federer's draw is pretty good too. However, he could potentially face Janowicz and Seppi on back to back matches so it will be interesting how it folds out. Other than that, he could either face Wawrinka or Berdych in the Quarterfinals so that will be interesting too.

All in all, it should be a great tournament assuming the top players win their respective matches.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
auto-pilot said:
^ That's funny considering just about everyone on every forum that I visited expressed doubt that Nadal would reach the QF (they doubted EVERY match he played).
So I wouldn't say such immediate impact is common (in best-of-5-sets), especially on Nadal's worst surface (or worst outdoor surface).

As I said, the top guys should expect to reach slam quarters in their sleep and it was hardly expected that Nadal would lose to his whipping boy Berdych so most were expecting him to in fact reach at least the semis.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I too think both Rafa and Roger have fairly easy draw to reach QF. I also think that both
will have a tough fight in the QF. I would not be surprised if one or both do not make it to SF.
Rog has to face Bird/Man and Rafa has to face Baby/Raonic.

It is poetic justice that Andy and Kei drew each other for QF as they can decide who
gets #4 seed for Miami by direct fight, assuming both reach the QF.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
After his bad game last year Nadal doesn't have too many points to defense in IW, on the contrary I'm sure this year he probably will earn many points :cool:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
auto-pilot said:

You're aware of who Nadal had to beat to get to the QF, right? Nobody he shouldn't be able to beat in his sleep. He's not a 14 time GS champion for nothing. I'm sorry but am I supposed to be impressed?

A

auto-pilot

Broken_Shoelace said:
auto-pilot said:

You're aware of who Nadal had to beat to get to the QF, right? Nobody he shouldn't be able to beat in his sleep. He's not a 14 time GS champion for nothing. I'm sorry but am I supposed to be impressed?

2012 AO: Nadal def. Berydch 6-7(5), 7-6(6), 6-4, 6-3
And that was a match-hardened Nadal after making nearly every final for the last 12 months.

A

auto-pilot

Front242 said:
auto-pilot said:

As I said, the top guys should expect to reach slam quarters in their sleep and it was hardly expected that Nadal would lose to his whipping boy Berdych so most were expecting him to in fact reach at least the semis.

Nadal was expected to reach at least the semis at his worst slam event with no preparatiion?
Where are the people that think that?
I was reading every major tennis forum during the AO and Nadal was doubted to the full extent by majority of people.
And at one stage he was 13-1 to win the AO.