Great Movie Scenes

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Joe Pesce's character in "Goodfellas" is one of the scariest psychos ever committed to celluloid.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ride of the Valkyries, Apocalypse Now.

I thought the movie, in general, was disappointing but this scene was classic.

Brando turned up for filming way overweight, ravaged by coke abuse and could barely remember his lines. He was supposed to have had a much bigger role in the movie originally, even though his character in the shadows became a movie icon later.

Coppola was running out of money, people were going down with tropical diseases, wild cocaine fuelled parties were part and parcel... Martin Sheen had a heart attack. Somehow they cobbled a movie together.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ride of the Valkyries, Apocalypse Now.

I thought the movie, in general, was disappointing but this scene was classic.

Brando turned up for filming way overweight, ravaged by coke abuse and could barely remember his lines. He was supposed to have had a much bigger role in the movie originally, even though his character in the shadows became a movie icon later.

Coppola was running out of money, people were going down with tropical diseases, wild cocaine fuelled parties were part and parcel... Martin Sheen had a heart attack. Somehow they cobbled a movie together.

I'm sorry you felt the film was a disappointment. I think it's brilliant. The fever dream that it is gives the viewer the experience of Vietnam as it was for a lot of those who fought in it...a nightmare, where the enemy was a shadow, and could also be on your side. But as you're interested in its back-story, have you seen the documentary that Coppola's wife and George Hickenlooper made about the making of? "Heart of Darkness"...it's worth a look.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm sorry you felt the film was a disappointment. I think it's brilliant. The fever dream that it is gives the viewer the experience of Vietnam as it was for a lot of those who fought in it...a nightmare, where the enemy was a shadow, and could also be on your side. But as you're interested in its back-story, have you seen the documentary that Coppola's wife and George Hickenlooper made about the making of? "Heart of Darkness"...it's worth a look.
Co-signed. One of the great movies. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!" classic :)

Reactions: Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Some parts of the film were superb - it's got some iconic scenes and a good script but I felt it just fizzled out. Probably down to running out of money and the chaos behind the scenes.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some parts of the film were superb - it's got some iconic scenes and a good script but I felt it just fizzled out. Probably down to running out of money and the chaos behind the scenes.
To me it didn't fizzle out...it just got crazier and crazier, which is a way that many G.I's experienced the war. It becomes like a fever dream. But it's a controversial film, I get that.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
To me it didn't fizzle out...it just got crazier and crazier, which is a way that many G.I's experienced the war. It becomes like a fever dream. But it's a controversial film, I get that.
for my part... if they didn't mean for the film to move in that direction then that was serendipity. It was perfect! One of my favourite films of all time. Every few years I watch it again

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
@Moxie @Federberg @britbox

Have any of you seen the “Redux” (i.e., director’s cut) version? Personally, I prefer the original version, which is rare. Usually I like the director’s cut better, but in this case I think Coppola got it right the first time.