Movies you hate but everyobody thinks are great

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
An opposite to Britbox great thread.

Anything by Steven Soderbergh. Okay, I don't exactly "hate", but nor do I rate. I forgot Traffic, for example, about five minutes after I left the cinema. Others were raving about it.

Major heresy now: I thought Gladiator to be brainless, plotwise, and it looked like a Pepsi commercial.

Everybody loves Heat, by Michael Mann, right? Wrong! :nono

It came with the added brouhaha of chucking those two old ham actors, Screamin' Al Pacino and Squintin' Bob deNiro in a scene together for the first time in history - and from memory, he could have used body doubles for this one, cos he films them from behind instead of capturing them together. Not that this macho nonsense is worth catching.

Silence of the Ham Actors - sorry, Lambs? Can take it or leave it. Okay, actually, I'll leave it.

Name any movie by Ron Howard and add it to this thread.

Name any movie by Spielberg and add it to this thread.

Name any film by Tim Burton and add it to this thread.

Name any film with Johnny Depp in it and add it....

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Not a fan of Gladiator, Heat, or Silence of the Lambs?? Man, that is crazy. Found all of them to be excellent.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I will jump in and say that, notwithstanding the build-up in the press about De Niro and Pacino being together again, I found Heat to be underwhelming. I have had the chance to watch it again here and there and I flip stations. It just did not do it for me either.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
shawnbm said:
I will jump in and say that, notwithstanding the build-up in the press about De Niro and Pacino being together again, I found Heat to be underwhelming. I have had the chance to watch it again here and there and I flip stations. It just did not do it for me either.

I'm with you guys. It could have been a much better film, but with De Niro and Pacino you get the same scenery-chewing performances over and over again. They were both great actors in the '70s, but have turned into parodies of themselves ever since.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Fun thread, Kieran.

The top of my list in this category: Pulp Fiction. Hated it instantly, and still can't figure out what people see in it. Same goes for every Tarantino-directed film. (I liked True Romance, but he didn't direct it.)

- Taxi Driver. An ultimately hollow, meaningless movie which just gets off on its own violence -- like almost every other Martin Scorsese film. Raging Bull is a masterpiece, and Kundun is easily his most underappreciated. The rest I can do without.

Scorsese and Tarantino are a lot alike: little guys who were probably bullied when they were kids, and now think they're tough guys because they make over-the-top violent, bloody movies.

- Anything with Brad Pitt -- a stunningly bad actor, who isn't good-looking, either. I don't get it.

- Slumdog Millionaire -- Oscar for best film of the year -- really?

- Forest Gump -- agonizing to sit through. I wanted to strangle Tom Hanks.

- Cabaret -- who's more maddening in their "Look at me! I'm a movie star!"-style acting: Liza Minnelli or Joel Grey?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Take them idols and smash 'em on the floor!

Now, I like Scorsese, but the Last Temptation was rubbish. Theologically dopey and unnecessarily stupid. Kundun was much better. Age of Innocence? You didn't like? Goodfellas?

Totally agree on Slumdog and Forest Gump. :gross:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Forrest Gump - agreed, absolute drivel. I wasn't keen on Heat either. I didn't hate it but thought it was a bit of a damp squib.

Didn't like The Matrix, Avatar or Inception.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Avatar is a great call, brother. The Sacred Cow of 3D, I thought it was a tree huggers manifesto, while being nothing more than a coyboys and injuns film for kids who play with crayons. The only character I liked in it was the tough sergeant who was out to eradicate them blue hypocrites. Really irritating flick.

I liked the first Matrix, then we had the law of diminishing returns with the sequels until the whole thing made me wish they hadn't started... :nono

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I agree about Heat. I thought it was good, but way overrated just because Di Nero and Pacino had a conversation over coffee in one scene.

Gladiator and Silence of the Lambs on the other hand, were phenomenal.

I never cared for the Matrix or Forrest Gump either, and while I did enjoy it, I thought Fight Club was a touch overrated.

I love Scorcese, and recognize the brilliance of Taxi Driver, especially the blend of formalism and realism, but as far as enjoying the film from an entertainment's perspective, I didn't.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree with Avatar. I thought it was decent but way overrated. Matrix, Transformers and Fast and Furious movies are ones I could care nothing about that a lot of people really seemed to love.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Agree with Avatar. I thought it was decent but way overrated. Matrix, Transformers and Fast and Furious movies are ones I could care nothing about that a lot of people really seemed to love.

I enjoyed Avatar, but I'm a huge sci-fi fan.

The first Matrix was OK, but the second and third were unwatchable.

If I were 12, I would like the Transformers movies. But I'm not.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
And, though I mentioned it in an earlier thread, Gravity is the recent one I found to be really boring. Midway through the movie I was left wondering when it would end.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
American Beauty is another one. Just didn't find it to be that great even though I like Spacey in just about anything.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That's a good call. A precursor to the appalling Desperate Housewives, it was a cardboard satire of suburban dullness. Didn't like anything about that film, and like you, I love Kevin Spacey in everything...

markus1

Club Member
Reactions
The Aviator
I hate this movie even though I like DiCaprio as an actor
Equilibrium
don't like it as well
American History X
there is something disgusting about it
The Fountain and Mr. Nobody
too chaotic

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
^ Not a fan of Gladiator, Heat, or Silence of the Lambs?? Man, that is crazy. Found all of them to be excellent.

Wow.. its your opinion. Silence of the Lambs was good not great but Gladiator and Heat was IMO as close to perfect as can be. However, I know how you are and there is some rational of why you feel that way about these movies. Pretty surprised that Kirean and Broken agreed.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Nah I was responding to Kieran. He is not a fan of any of those movies. I think all 3 were great.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Nah I was responding to Kieran. He is not a fan of any of those movies. I think all 3 were great.

Then I stand corrected, Kieran needs to appreciate Michael Mann's and Ridley Scott's masterpieces.:clap