Federer's Schedule 2019

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Given that I think time is running out for Federer, I really want him to play Roland Garros. I can't imagine him retiring without one more visit.

I can imagine it. He should be gearing up for Wimbledon from here on out. Stay away from clay, only play Halle and go from there. He won't hit 10 Wimbledon's as he certainly should have but there is still a chance for 9

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Given that I think time is running out for Federer, I really want him to play Roland Garros. I can't imagine him retiring without one more visit.

That's a guaranteed way of going slamless in 2019. His last visit to RG was 2013.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In the schedule that I suggested for Fed, I have listed 14 tourneys. This year he played 13 tourneys. Some would say that as he is getting aged, he will only be reducing and not increasing the no. of tourneys. That sounds like right logic on the surface, but it is not really.

We all know that there has been a decline in play of Fed since Rotterdam. As his level of play is decreasing, he will be more prone to early losses in at least some of the tourneys that he is playing in. He is not going to go deep in every tourney that he enters. A player's accumulated fatigue depends more on the total number of matches played (and not so much on the number of tourneys played in). Hence, the increase in the number of events suggested by me. As Ralph once said "You can only decide how many tourneys to play in, you cannot decide how many matches to play".

In the recent past, Fed has not been giving out his schedule and kind of taking it on the fly. But, for a long period of time, Fed used to religiously announce his proposed complete schedule (even though there may be some minor changes happening later on) on his web page
sometime during December of the previous year. I am hoping that Fed will announce his proposed schedule at least up to the point of Wimby 2019 sometime this December (as he announced that he is going to make a decision about playing on clay during off season). Let us see.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I would think Roger won’t truly commit to clay until after the Sunshine Double.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Even though I am suggesting that Fed play a couple of clay Masters but skip RG, I highly doubt that Fed will follow my suggestion.

If at all he plays on clay, he would do so with the intention of playing on RG. The only reason he would play some clay, but skip RG is if he gets injured during play on clay or if he feels highly uncomfortable playing on clay when he gives it a try. I cannot see Fed making an apriori decision of playing some clay but skip RG. However, I personally feel that it would be the good idea for him and right balance between getting ground down during clay season and accumulating excessive rust due to lengthy lay off.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Breaking News. Roger confirms that he will play on clay in 2019 provided his body feels good at the end of sunshine double. It appears that he will play in Barcelona, Rome and Rolland Garros during the clay season. He has not played in Barcelona for a long time (played only once, I believe, in 2000 before he was a big name). So, it is quite possible that Barcelona's inclusion was motivated at least in part by a big check for appearance fee.

Federer used to release his full, but tentative schedule around this time of the year. He stopped doing so about three or four years ago. I thought he will get back in to that practice again now. But, no. He has said he won't release his schedule now. He will be releasing his tentative schedule only after the first quarter of 2019 is over (which will mark the end of sunshine double).

While he has not explicitly announced, it appears that Fed's schedule for the first quarter would include the following tourneys.

1. Hopman Cup
2. Australian Open
3. Dubai
4. IW
5. Miami.

I personally would prefer him to skip Miami, especially if he is planning to get dirty.

Last edited:

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Like you said, his decision to play on clay 2019 could have been dictated by appearance fees. UNIQLO could be involved in those decisions.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Like you said, his decision to play on clay 2019 could have been dictated by appearance fees. UNIQLO could be involved in those decisions.

No, I think only his choice of Barcy was motivated by app fee and not his decision to play on clay.
One does not get app fee for playing in GS or in ATP 1000 events. App fee is allowed only in ATP 500 and ATP 250 events.

Last edited:

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, I think only his choice of Barcy was motivated by app fee and not his decision to play on clay.
I see. It does not look like a wise decision to play on clay, considering how he has been struggling physically.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
One does not get app fee for playing in GS or in ATP 1000 events. App fee is allowed only in ATP 500 and ATP 250 events.

Barcelona must be offering a lucrative deal.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed playing in Barcelona may be a fake news . The Barcelona tourney claims they don't know anything about it. It means they have not agreed for any app fee, in particular. I don't see Fed playing in Barcelona without app fee. Also, if Fed wanted to test whether Barcelona is willing to pony up the cash, he would have sent indirect feelers through his agent. He would not do like this by creating a media buzz by planting a false news in a fan's head.

So, most probably Fed will play Madrid, Rome and RG or else just Rome and RG (unless of course, suddenly Barcelona organizers want to spend a million bucks on Federer; apparently Barcelona has already agreed to pay other players and so may not have enough cash left to spare).

If Fed wants app fee, he should play in Budapest 250. I don't think Fed has ever played in Hungary before. Not sure whether Hungarians have enough money to wet Fed's appetite though.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
For those wanting to watch Fed in action at the Hopman cup, here is his schedule there.

Dec 30 - Great Britain vs Switzerland

Jan 1 - USA vs Switzerland

Jan 3 - Greece vs Switzerland

Jan 5 - Winner of Group A vs winner of Group B (if Switzerland manages to win their group).

In particular, the Jan 3rd match will be exciting as he will be playing against Perseus for the first time.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I saw an interview of the Barcelona director a month ago where he said he was pushing hard for Federer. Found strange at the time.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw an interview of the Barcelona director a month ago where he said he was pushing hard for Federer. Found strange at the time.

Barcelona tourney organizers claim they have no knowledge of Fed possibly wanting to play there this year (19).

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's just Federer trying to play mind games with Nadal. :negative: Last year he said "Oh I might enter RG last minute blah blah blah", it's always something to try creating doubt and pressure for Nadal. :cuckoo: But Federer should just stop the nonsense because these desperate tactics don't faze GOATdal at all. :sleep:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fed playing in Barcelona may be a fake news . The Barcelona tourney claims they don't know anything about it. It means they have not agreed for any app fee, in particular. I don't see Fed playing in Barcelona without app fee. Also, if Fed wanted to test whether Barcelona is willing to pony up the cash, he would have sent indirect feelers through his agent. He would not do like this by creating a media buzz by planting a false news in a fan's head.

So, most probably Fed will play Madrid, Rome and RG or else just Rome and RG (unless of course, suddenly Barcelona organizers want to spend a million bucks on Federer; apparently Barcelona has already agreed to play other players and so may not have enough cash left to spare).

If Fed wants app fee, he should either play in Budapest 250. I don't think Fed has every played in Hungary before. Not sure whether Hungarians have enough money to wet Fed's appetite though.
I agree that Roger playing Barcelona seems improbable. One or two tune-ups plus RG, and I agree with you that Madrid and Rome are most likely.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Barcelona will all but certainly have Nadal in it, so that makes it rather a poor choice. What about Budapest, as GSM suggested, if he really wants some points off the radar?

Munich/Budapest/Estoril are also good options.
IMO he wants some matchplay during that 2-3 month long clay season or maybe it could be him just bluffing(about playing clay) like last two years.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Munich/Budapest/Estoril are also good options.
IMO he wants some matchplay during that 2-3 month long clay season or maybe it could be him just bluffing(about playing clay) like last two years.
I'm going to let you Fed fans game what he really should do if he's going to play clay this year, but I HIGHLY doubt he's going to be making a big push on clay, to the extent of testing his knee at 250's, etc. I'm sure a lot will have to do with how much he plays prior to clay, but I don't see him, personally, playing more than a few big tourneys, then RG. Madrid and see how he feels/does, then Rome, if all goes well, for some push at RG. Maybe he feels that time has to run out on Rafa at RG, eventually, but he's not going to blow his wad playing a lot of clay before RG. Am I wrong? He'll still be saving something for grass and Wimbledon. No?

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam