Federer's Schedule 2019

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That article puts a lot of weight on the notion that avoiding clay helped Roger win his Slam titles. I don't see how that's true. He won the 2017 AO before clay. I suppose you could say he won Wimbledon that year partially because he was well rested. But the 2018 AO? And it isn't like he started grass season this year all fresh - he was rusty and looked horrible. So if anything, maybe he's reviewing not playing clay because of how bad he played on grass.

Some might interpret this as meaning 2019 might be his swan song.

Reactions: Jelenafan

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
That article puts a lot of weight on the notion that avoiding clay helped Roger win his Slam titles. I don't see how that's true. He won the 2017 AO before clay. I suppose you could say he won Wimbledon that year partially because he was well rested. But the 2018 AO? And it isn't like he started grass season this year all fresh - he was rusty and looked horrible. So if anything, maybe he's reviewing not playing clay because of how bad he played on grass.

Exactly my thoughts although I still think he'll play till 2020 but who knows. If he performs badly next year he may well call it quits. Thing is though, the next gen are still badly underperforming for the most part so he may be kicking himself if he retired only to watch the other 2 gobble up easy slams and it's not a given Nadal and Djokovic stay playing high level injury free either.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions

He might be feeling that taking a huge gap between Miami and grass season makes him rusty and he needs more matchplay

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
he confirmed he 'll play Halle 2019

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed says he is considering playing in RG in 2019 and will decide during the off season about it.

My suggestion: Play a couple of Clay Masters, but skip RG. Five sets of grinding on clay cannot be good at this age. Also, he needs to
be fresh for Wimbledon, his main hunting ground, which would help him in the all important race for #GS titles. But playing during the
clay season would make sure that he does not get rusty (also, not to mention that there is always the allure of possibly winning MC and
Rome trophies which are not in his cabinet). Finally, if he is planning to play on clay (and especially if he is planning to play in MC),
he should skip Miami which is also hard on body.

Reactions: Fiero425

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Fed says he is considering playing in RG in 2019 and will decide during the off season about it.

My suggestion: Play a couple of Clay Masters, but skip RG. Five sets of grinding on clay cannot be good at this age. Also, he needs to
be fresh for Wimbledon, his main hunting ground, which would help him in the all important race for #GS titles. But playing during the
clay season would make sure that he does not get rusty (also, not to mention that there is always the allure of possibly winning MC and
Rome trophies which are not in his cabinet). Finally, if he is planning to play on clay (and especially if he is planning to play in MC),
he should skip Miami which is also hard on body.

Agreed.

The long break after IW essentially (Miami he played like 1 match) till the grass season caused a lot of rust in his game.

IMO he should skip Miami and play two clay Masters but skip RG/Stuttgart

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Federer should not play on clay regardless of how alluring the missing master trophies or RG is. That will only give him orientation that he doesn't need.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have a feeling Cilic will vulture the Australian Open in 2019, with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all injured.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have a feeling Cilic will vulture the Australian Open in 2019, with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all injured.
Oh, please...I hope not. For all the talk about what is boring for tennis, that would be on the top of my list.

Reactions: ftan and atttomole

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Honestly I am sick and tired of reading all the same shit all over the place. One of them is that tennis players -- not only "mere" tennis players but simply the best guys ever, are some crystal ballerinas that should play just once in a blue moon.

There is a reason this boring same old song keeps playing (fans complaining of players over-playing, and players playing what they think is best for them). These guys are PLAYERS. They have PLAYED all their lives, their bodies are built around that, and tennis players need the competition (as 100% of them, amateur and professional, will tell you). If you are not injured, you should be playing, not resting in your couch.

The only thing worst than reading this same old story again and again is reading people talking about player's butts. And if players are bald or not. Or if they do in vitro fertilization or not. Or if they are gay or not. Or if they fuck some actress or not. Or if... ah, fuck, ok, keep talking about overplaying.

Last edited:
Reactions: ftan and El Dude

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In view of Roger's consideration of play on clay, this is my recommended schedule for Roger in 2019. Note that this is pure recommendation and Roger has not announced his schedule for 2019 yet. But, I expect him to announce his schedule till the end of Wimbledon sometime before the season starts. I am not listing XO events below.

1. AO
2. Dubai
3. IW
4. Madrid
5. Rome
6. Stuttgart
7. Halle
8. Wimbledon
9. Cincy
10. USO
11. Shanghai
12. Basel
13. Bercy (if not fatigued by now).
14. WTF

The key points of my recommendation are as follows.

a. Last year Fed played in Rotterdam and then skipped Dubai. That was because his Dubai contract was up and he was renegotiating
a new contract. I believe the new contract must have been in place already. So, he will play again in Dubai this year, leading to
cancellation of Rotterdam.

b. If he sits out for extended period of time, he is prone to become rusty for match play. So, I suggest he play a couple of clay events viz., Madrid and Rome. I also suggest that he skip RG due to lengthy grinding encounters that surely will take place.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think we'll see him on clay again, he should stay away clay season

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Given that I think time is running out for Federer, I really want him to play Roland Garros. I can't imagine him retiring without one more visit.

Reactions: Moxie

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Given that I think time is running out for Federer, I really want him to play Roland Garros. I can't imagine him retiring without one more visit.
maybe in his farewell tour ??