Federer: I think I'll return much stronger...I dream to win more GS and return to #1

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
Roger Federer recently had a rather lengthy interview in Geneva Switzerland with a member of the Argentine press.

Here it is:

It's been a while since we heard from Roger Federer on the court, but but that does not mean his history, one of the biggest made in tennis, has exhausted the last chapter. No, the former world number one is thoroughly preparing to overcome his back problems and knee, because he wants to show his best in 2017. And then?

"Tennis will survive just fine without me," the Swiss 35-year-old said smiling during an interview with us in Geneva. He admitted that "it will be weird," the day that neither he nor Rafael Nadal are in the circuit. Federer also left his forecast for the final of the Davis Cup, while analyzing the year of Juan Martin Del Potro: "Very impressive." So convinced is the seven-time Wimbledon champion that there is still much on his tennis racquet, he left a provocative phrase: "I will return much stronger than people think"

Q: How are your back and your knee?

RF: There are always ups and downs, but it is not worrying. It was because of my knee that I had to stop, but the fact is that during the last five weeks I feel a noticeable improvement. I still have 70 days to get ready. It's a lot of time. Usually the players do not have more than 30 days to recover. The coming weeks will be crucial, because I assume that soon it will be one hundred percent recovered. I'm really at peace.

Q: Have you returned to normal training?

RF: Almost. I went from the rehabilitation phase to some more specific exercises with Pierre Paganini, my fitness trainer, and try to combine it with tennis. It is a very interesting phase. It seems like I usually feel when I start training after a holiday period, before the start of the season. Before starting to play ball, one prepares the body. But over the next four weeks tennis will be replacing the physical training.

Q: During This long period off the circuit, and for the first time in more than a decade, you were seen leading some kind of normal life. Did you enjoy life outside the circuit?

RF: (Laughs) People saw me dressed as a farmer, visiting places, doing trekking. It [the recuperation] didn't let me train more than an hour a day, leaving much time to walk with my family. And I had free days, something to which I'm not at all accustomed. So I enjoyed touring Switzerland. And I didn't publish too many photos or videos of my practice sessions, and people thought that I did nothing but rest, when I was actually working hard to rehabilitate. I do not know why I did not publish more photos training, but I do not like to brag for people to think I'm some kind of warrior who does training. I divided my weeks between work, family and social life, something I could not do for like 10 or 15 years.

Q: Were people concerned? In that enjoying life you might not like to return to play?

RF: I understand that that people might think that, but I never ever thought about it, even for a moment. I just tried to take the positives from a situation that I did not choose. I love doing other things, but the truth is that I can not wait to return to the tour.

Q: It is helping you in that you may feel fresh mentally and physically refreshed?

RF: I think so. Moreover, that was the idea: that beyond the physical and tennis work, I could calm down and relax mentally. In tennis, the mental aspect is essential. If Stan Wawrinka could win three Grand Slams, it is because of his confidence. He has become a different player mentally. I want to go back with a fresh mind. And I feel it will be.

Q: Recent comments from Novak Djokovic show that after a while it can be exhausting to lead the tennis world and have to deal with that. Have you ever felt that tired of being number one and winning it all?

RF: We are all different people. There are many who speak about a great crisis, but Djokovic won in Toronto, reached the final of the US Open and the semifinals of Shanghai. What is surprising, is that I have not won anything since Roland Garros. But then the tournament that he really wanted to win was this: Roland Garros, his great and final objective. So I guess we'll see a different Djokovic on the courts. It is something that occurs naturally: after winning everything that you can win, it makes sense to go through a stage where you wonder what's next. Djokovic will find the answers. It's just a stage. You have to sit and think and define how you want to follow up. I went through a similar moment. I think all the players who won all four Grand Slam tournaments at some point feel the same. Because one begins to question one's motivation and desire to win every game, or traveling around the world with or without your family. And then one is forced to wonder whether it's worth it. It is interesting what is happening to Novak at this time, or Murray, who has the opportunity to reach the top of world ranking.

Q: What will happen to you in 2017?

RF: The next six months will be very interesting. I hope Rafa Nadal and I return stronger than ever. I do not know what position I'll get to in the rankings, so it will be fun to see the result of the draws. Beyond that, for Novak nothing will happen. He's too good a tennis player. He will not stop winning big tournaments.

Q: Speaking of rankings, do you have any fears about the prospect of returning [lower in the rankings]?

RF: On the contrary, I don't see it like that. Because if I am one hundred percent in my best shape, the other players will have a problem. Some of those who are high up may have the bad luck to play with me in quarters, and even in the second round. Bad luck! Normally that player would face me much later in the tournament. So the picture changes for everyone. The same happened with the return of Rafa: we all prayed not to be with him in the draw. So I guess no one will want to be with me into quarters or eighths. Because it is likely that I will be in 15th or 16th ATP place, that I have not occupied since 2002. I'm anxious to see what happens. Perhaps I can lose in the first round, but if I get a hundred percent, I know I can face the best and win tournaments again. It might take me a while, but I am more eager than fearing it.

Q: You have said that Nadal has more and better experience than you as returning after injury. And you share an agent with Del Potro, who also has had experience in that field. Would you have asked advice or suggestions about his own previous experience?

RF: Delpo's form is very impressive. My first experience was back in Monaco, after an operation. It was not very difficult. In the past I also had injuries that forced me to play with pain. So I know the subject, but at the same time, this time it is different. While it does not hurt me, it is seems it is going to be all right. But if the pain returns, bad news. And then you go into a cycle of negativity. But I'm doing everything I have to do to avoid it. And so I'm taking my time.

Q: I'd like to pursue the subject: what you think of the return of Del Potro this year?

RF:
I repeat, very impressive. And it was very good. When I played against him earlier this year I noticed that something had changed in his game, he had changed his backhand, which he hit with slice effectively, cutting the ball more. It is interesting to see how he adapted his game after surgery. He is the type of player who is much better than his position in the ranking.

Q: Del Potro is motivated, like you. Where does that motivation without limit come from? Is it pure passion for tennis?

RF: Yes, I love this sport. Otherwise I would not go traveling around the world with my family. I have done a lot, but feel that I still have things to achieve. To me, I never lack motivation to train. What hurts is not to be in the Olympics, the US Open, in Basel, or the Masters Cup. That's the hard part. I missed it, but I was also sad and frustrated. I had to make that decision to stop for a few months. When that happened, I turned the page and I concentrated on my rehabilitation and my practice. My tennis life and my personal life have always been fairly balanced, and that is essential to meet this challenge and make the right decisions.

Q: What are your expectations and goals for next season?

RF: My dream is to keep winning Grand Slams and return to the top of the ranking, but when people ask me if I will continue playing in 2018, I tell them I hope so, because I first have to play five tournaments in a row without physical problems. Then we'll see what the state of my body is, how it responds. Because the important thing is to be in good shape for more than one tournament. If after three matches, you cannot give more, then you have to start asking questions. In April, I will be able to say if I'm looking good. The idea is that by December when I finish the preparation, is to be stronger than ever. The truth is that I will have had so much time to prepare for the season, I think I'll return much stronger than people think.

Q: For people, it is unimaginable to have tennis without you. Do you think sometimes of the idea of retiring?

RF: In recent weeks I have had an idea of how the tour is without me. It's nice to hear that fans say that tennis is not the same without me, but the fact is that tennis will survive without me and is generating new stars all the time. I think about the matches being played all the time. I love the sport, I need to follow it, be aware. But the time will come that there will not be Nadal or Federer. Of course it is going to be weird, because 20 years ago people were seeing me standing on the court. But tennis will survive just fine without me.

Q: How are you going to feel?

RF: The day that it will stop, I'll do some exhibitions, but it will no longer be the same. Because you need the thrill of competing, playing for points. So when I stop it's going to be difficult, because I know that it will be forever. How am I going to feel? It is a question that I can answer in a couple of years.

Q: In a couple of weeks, Del Potro's Argentina will play the final of the Davis Cup in Croatia. How will it end? Do you see a possibility for Argentina?

RF: I think it will be 50-50. The way Del Potro is playing, Argentina has a chance. But do not underestimate Croatia. Cilic has also shown great things lately. He's a threat. I really think the chances are 50-50.
--------------------------------------

Respectfully,
masterclass

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Roger has hinted that 2018 will probably be his farewell tour. He definitely has longevity covered, being out there for 20+ years.

Reactions: teddytennisfan

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Roger has hinted that 2018 will probably be his farewell tour. He definitely has longevity covered, being out there for 20+ years.

WHY did he not reveal the truth? that in his absence he busied himself with leaking all the Wikileaks stuff? roger..acting all innocent and tennis-like and all that when in reality he THREW the election to trump\'s side!! BECAUSE He's a business partner of trump.................

he's the CULPRIT!! AND he is going to get his just rewards for that sabotage of the US elections...

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think 2017 will be Roger's last run at it.

i am guessing the same - way. roger is professional enough to only want the BEST from himself if he's going to commit to any further season - and age and time eventually catches up but it IS good that he is thinking along lines NO LESS than achieving more great things. that's the way he ought to end his career. completely on his terms as humanly possible.

i like his ATTITUDE -- that against other players HE's the threat .

thats the only way it should be from him if he is going about his preparations as only he knows how.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
WHY did he not reveal the truth? that in his absence he busied himself with leaking all the Wikileaks stuff? roger..acting all innocent and tennis-like and all that when in reality he THREW the election to trump\'s side!! BECAUSE He's a business partner of trump.................

he's the CULPRIT!! AND he is going to get his just rewards for that sabotage of the US elections...

then you should thank and appreciate him, instead of despise him with all those negative words. If he did play a part in bringing Hillary down, hats off to him.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Maybe. I think how he is physically next year will be the decider. He clearly still loves the tour, so maybe in 2018 he'll do a farewell round a bit like Edberg did when he announced his retirement. I think 2017 will be his last serious year of challenging for anything substantial.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
The excitement to see Federer again will be massive - never has he been missing for such a long time (six months) - his fans are starved as are many other tennis people - we are all excited to see the great Roger Federer play tennis again in early 2017 -

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
I like Fed's chances if he can somehow manage to get to a final vs Andy - Fed beating Andy 6061 at WTF a couple years ago i hard to forget -Fed (still) may have a mental edge on Andy -

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I like Fed's chances if he can somehow manage to get to a final vs Andy - Fed beating Andy 6061 at WTF a couple years ago i hard to forget -Fed (still) may have a mental edge on Andy -

On another site or 2, Andy's been elevated to almost GOAT status; thinking only more great things to happen! I think they're disturbed! Murray's one of those people that prefers to play that stupid defensive game and allow his opponent to make an error! That's one reason Federer may always have his number! He could do more to close out points, but his mindset needs a huge boost or he will lose to the old guy when he comes back! :good: :dance2: :rolleyes: - - - - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fan-page-novak-nole-djokovic.html - - - -

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think he'll win more GS and be N°1 again

That's probably true, but there is one big grey area between being the best and being retired. I know some people don't like seeing favourite players even on the tour when they are a shell of their best, but I still love a shell of Federer being around... and that shell is probably still going to be a Top 8 player if he stays fit.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
On another site or 2, Andy's been elevated to almost GOAT status; thinking only more great things to happen! I think they're disturbed! Murray's one of those people that prefers to play that stupid defensive game and allow his opponent to make an error! That's one reason Federer may always have his number! He could do more to close out points, but his mindset needs a huge boost or he will lose to the old guy when he comes back! :good: :dance2: :rolleyes: - - - - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fan-page-novak-nole-djokovic.html - - - -

that stupid defensive game has won him 3 slams, 2 Olympics and top ranking, against Novak many times too, so can't be too shabby? also his record with Fed is still close, i don't know how you can be so certain that Fed (in his mid 30s) may always have his number.

Reactions: Carol

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
That stupid defensive game has won him 3 slams, 2 Olympics and the top ranking against Novak many times too, so can't be too shabby? His record with Fed is still close. I don't know how you can be so certain that Fed (in his mid 30s) may always have his number.

Because those wins against the old man were a while back! Murray started dropping straight-setters to the GOAT; even on grass! That semi at Wimbledon a couple years ago should have been terribly embarrassing! Murray should have won more and earlier! Why does it take Lendl being in the player's box to get him over the hump? We'll see what happens this season with him toting the #1 ranking for a while! :boxing: = - - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fan-page-novak-nole-djokovic.html - - =

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
that stupid defensive game has won him 3 slams, 2 Olympics and top ranking, against Novak many times too, so can't be too shabby? also his record with Fed is still close, i don't know how you can be so certain that Fed (in his mid 30s) may always have his number.
He always is "pushing" for his fav and trying to put down the others lol :cuckoo:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
There is something clear, nobody knows who will have more chance or not in 2017, their game will depend of their heath, mind/confidence.

By the way, what is wrong with Raonic changing coaches like underpants? :help:

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There is something clear, nobody knows who will have more chance or not in 2017, their game will depend of their heath, mind/confidence.

By the way, what is wrong with Raonic changing coaches like underpants? :help:
maybe Raonic himself ???

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Thinking what happened this year, but also how great Federer played all the way to AO, I wouldn't be surprised that he comes fresh and wins a slam or two this year, providing that Novak stays bananas. Murray or anyone else can't stop Federer if he is as good as he was in 2015. Only Novak when himself and inspired Delpo can stop Federer, beside old Rafa if we ever see him back.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Thinking what happened this year, but also how great Federer played all the way to AO, I wouldn't be surprised that he comes fresh and wins a slam or two this year, providing that Novak stays bananas. Murray or anyone else can't stop Federer if he is as good as he was in 2015. Only Novak when himself and inspired Delpo can stop Federer, beside old Rafa if we ever see him back.

Nothing wrong with dreamin', but most would keep it to themselves! If he comes back and it's a useless exercise in futility, he'll look every bit a fool! :facepalm: :nono: :wacko: :rip: - - - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fan-page-novak-nole-djokovic.html - - - :ptennis:

Last edited: