Federer: I think I'll return much stronger...I dream to win more GS and return to #1

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
What do you class as a useless exercise in futility? He made a semi-final at Wimbledon before he called it quits on the year.

If Federer stays fit, he'll be a Top 8 player minimum in 2017.

I can just imagine a precipitous drop instead of a gradual decline! It had nothing to do with his mind, strategy, or passion; sometimes the body just won't cooperate! Heaven knows it happened to me! All of a sudden I was done! :nono: :banghead: :sick: :rip:

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
With all due respect but you don't have 11 lives, record breaking sponsors like Nike and Rolex and Roche pharma in your very neighborhood.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can just imagine a precipitous drop instead of a gradual decline! It had nothing to do with his mind, strategy, or passion; sometimes the body just won't cooperate! Heaven knows it happened to me! All of a sudden I was done! :nono: :banghead: :sick: :rip:

WIth due respect, you aren't Roger Federer...

My own gut feeling was Roger was done winning majors... and it kinda still is... but with Novak's underwhelming second half of the season I'm rethinking some of the roadblocks a little... and Federer will always be relevant.. (even if not a major winner) until he hangs it up.

It's only a few months ago since he was in a Wimbledon semi-final and little over a year since he was in a US Open final... let's put the grave dancing on ice until we see him in action. I still don't think he'll add to the grand slam tally, but I don't see a precipitous drop on the scale you're presuming.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
WIth due respect, you aren't Roger Federer...

My own gut feeling was Roger was done winning majors... and it kinda still is... but with Novak's underwhelming second half of the season I'm rethinking some of the roadblocks a little... and Federer will always be relevant.. (even if not a major winner) until he hangs it up.

It's only a few months ago since he was in a Wimbledon semi-final and little over a year since he was in a US Open final... let's put the grave dancing on ice until we see him in action. I still don't think he'll add to the grand slam tally, but I don't see a precipitous drop on the scale you're presuming.

That's kind of my thoughts too. The landscape has changed with Novak's huge falloff and that leaves the door open for Federer, Nadal, and others. I do think Novak will come back a bit but he will not dominate like before. His career arch not surprisingly may be similar to Federer and Nadal as both of them took an enormous step back the year they turned 29 and things were never the same after.

Even though Federer will be another year older at Wimbledon this year his mindset should be that he was not match fit or fit at all last year during his Wimbledon run and he was a couple points away from the final. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins Wimbledon but I'd be shocked if he wins any other major at this point.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's kind of my thoughts too. The landscape has changed with Novak's huge falloff and that leaves the door open for Federer, Nadal, and others. I do think Novak will come back a bit but he will not dominate like before. His career arch not surprisingly may be similar to Federer and Nadal as both of them took an enormous step back the year they turned 29 and things were never the same after.

Even though Federer will be another year older at Wimbledon this year his mindset should be that he was not match fit or fit at all last year during his Wimbledon run and he was a couple points away from the final. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins Wimbledon but I'd be shocked if he wins any other major at this point.
I think we have to wait and see if there is really this "huge falloff" from Djokovic in the coming year. Right now, it's Andy v. Novak. Rafa and Roger are going to show us how they come back in the next few months. I do agree that, if Fedal comes back strong, and Nole is struggling...whether it be physically or psychologically, or just with the team changes, the other half of the big 4 may not be done yet. Let's be honest: the top 10 as it is right now is not particularly intimidating. If Roger is going to make waves at a Major, it will be at Wimbledon. And if Rafa is, it's going to be at the French. So Rafa for sure will need to be catching wind pretty quickly.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Yes and no. The last time he stunk for 6 months, relatively speaking, was before he broke out in 2011. I expect he will bounce back but I highly doubt he starts winning everything in sight again and being the dominant #1. Motivation may be part of it but he has tons of mileage too.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Yes and no. The last time he stunk for 6 months, relatively speaking, was before he broke out in 2011. I expect he will bounce back but I highly doubt he starts winning everything in sight again and being the dominant #1. Motivation may be part of it but he has tons of mileage too.
I think we'll have to see how he bounces back in the new year. However, I do think he's coming to the edge of his dominance. Murray has a new lease on life, and will be his primary hurdle. However Rog and Rafa come back might feature, and the youngsters are gaining ground. The calendar year slam has sailed, once again, and for some time.

In terms of mileage, Novak and Andy are almost equal. Murray has a W/L of 630-174; Novak W/L of 751-155. That's a total of 804 matches for Murray and 806 for Djokovic. Rafa, on year older is 806-174. That's 1080 total matches. Note that his loss record is equal to Murray's and only 19 more than Novak's. And yet he's played basically 175 more matches than each. That's easily 2 1/2 more years, despite the calendar age difference. Interesting note. But I'm not sure what that says about Djokovic and mileage.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ It says your math is wrong :). 751-155 is 906 matches, so he's at 102 more than Murray and 74 less than Rafa. About 1.5 years more play than Murray and 1 year less than Rafa (and he is a year younger). Murray too does have a lot of mileage which makes his play this season all the more impressive. It's clear that Lendl gets the most out of him, the forehand becomes a legit weapon and he plays more confidently.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You're right...I can't even add up on a few fingers. So Novak does have more mileage than Murray, and has pretty much caught up to Rafa, in terms of years. Which means a fair amount of mileage. Murray has a bit more way to go, and now has the Lendl factor, again.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hey, Cosmo! Good to see you around. Happy New Year. Who's the avatar?

Reactions: britbox

Cosmo

Club Member
Reactions
Hi Moxie!
That's Jimmy the Groundhog, who was very rude to the mayor of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. :-)2
(start watching at about :30)

Reactions: britbox and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Revenge of the groundhog! And in honor of our old "shirtless men" thread, here's one for you, Cosmo. You're welcome:

tumblr_nkf7rnxiKC1s27hfvo2_1280.jpg

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Are there pictures of shirtless WTA players on the WTA forums? If yes I will check them out, but please give the right links ´cause I don´t wanna browse them too much.

Reactions: Mastoor

Cosmo

Club Member
Reactions
:yes:
Thanks, Moxie!
The shirtless ATP pics came about once upon a time on a board far far away, when too many of the guys posting were having "who's hotter?" discussions about the WTA players, and a couple of us ladies figured the board needed to be evened up with some shirtless tennis player guy pics. I think the guys were grumble, grumble, but we figured what's good for the goose...!

Reactions: Moxie

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
@Cosmo long time no see. I thought Groundhog day was a film, but it is obviously a real thing.

@Moxie I remember your shirtless thread from old tennis.com forum, must be 2009 or so.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@Cosmo long time no see. I thought Groundhog day was a film, but it is obviously a real thing.

@Moxie I remember your shirtless thread from old tennis.com forum, must be 2009 or so.
Yeah, that was Throwback Thursday, as they say on Facebook. Just a little nod a Cosmo. Nice to see her around.

Reactions: Mastoor