Fed makes a change - 98 racquet!

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And why not? He really has nothing left to prove and working through a new racquet may bring his concentration level up a notch and assist him with focus. Now, it seems, we know why he scheduled these small clay events after SW19. It may well be a shrewd move that reaps rewards, especially if he can get a little more power. Going to be very interesting through the end of the year.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
soooo.... what does everyone think? many have been asking, nay, pleading for this for years. some made it seem as if he'd be invincible if he made the switch - but is it to late for that?

honestly, i think this is huge news - while less entertaining, it's probably more telling about Fed than even the SW19 exit. just shows so much about him... that he's seriously shaken after Wimby, and knows there's not much use in going on the way he did. that he's willing to make a change. and that he's still thinking in the long term. some reacted to the Hamburg and Gstaad entries wondering if that means we're seeing a farewell tour - i doubt that more than ever now. switching the racquet (and this drastically, too) mid-season, i guess he's aware he's jeopardizing the whole 2013 season... only makes sense if you at least hope to still be relevant in 2014.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is good to see, Mr. Steinbeck, for us and for the sport. It is ludicrous to think he is contemplating retiring at the end of the year. Would it not be something if the racquet gives him more confidence and umph on his FH and service?

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think he might have been looking to grab some extra mileage from his serve. that was probably his primary motivation.

at the height of his powers he always held serve close to 90% of the time. that was a huge part of his game. he dominated with the serve and then finished them off with his forehand.

and if the ball came back, he was waiting at the net for it.

jury is out for now as to how well this new racquet will help him with the strokes. there are some disadvantages to be taken into account as well.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
Fewer foul tips now, hopefully.

Whenever he shanks a ball, I tease my partner, a huge Federer fan, that it's because Roger uses a child's racquet. Maybe I won't get to say that anymore.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Anybody here perceive drawbacks for Roger in using a larger racquet?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
soooo.... what does everyone think? many have been asking, nay, pleading for this for years. some made it seem as if he'd be invincible if he made the switch - but is it to late for that?

honestly, i think this is huge news - while less entertaining, it's probably more telling about Fed than even the SW19 exit. just shows so much about him... that he's seriously shaken after Wimby, and knows there's not much use in going on the way he did. that he's willing to make a change. and that he's still thinking in the long term. some reacted to the Hamburg and Gstaad entries wondering if that means we're seeing a farewell tour - i doubt that more than ever now. switching the racquet (and this drastically, too) mid-season, i guess he's aware he's jeopardizing the whole 2013 season... only makes sense if you at least hope to still be relevant in 2014.

It's great news and cheers for the thread on this. Nice to find out about it so early. Here's hoping it does indeed add a bit of power to his serve most importantly and minimize shanks when he gets used to it. Dropping serve at most inopportune times has killed him last few years and this may be just what the doctor ordered.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Anybody here perceive drawbacks for Roger in using a larger racquet?

a change like that may affect his strokes initially.

but the serve will be more explosive. we know that is going to happen instantly.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Folks recommended this change for a while now and surprisingly, he is going with it. I am glad he is. There will be an adjustment period, but I think it will not be drastic, because I have a feeling Wilson made something for him that is not stock. I would think it would be highly unlikely he would try a stick that has a different balance or a different swing weight. There is a Blade98 out there but it very different from what he is used to, that's why I think this is a custom design that weighs and balances similar to his old stick with a larger head.
I hope it helps him and energizes him a bit.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the first test is the right test as it is on clay.

lets see how it impacts his ground game.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting.. I recalled in June DarthFed asked what changes to could Fed make to try to make improvements to his game. I mentioned a racket change and it created a lot of 'Noise' on these boards.. Well.. atleast Fed and his team are open to change.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
I use a blade 98.......he will not use that racket without alteration of course

It will take the rest of the season to be confident in the big moments, it's a drastic change. It took Novak a while when he made the jump from 93 to 100

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the issue at stake is the strokes. how will it affect his strokes?

I have no doubt in my mind that his serve just got a boost. and it will help at the net as well.

often a huge or a bigger racquet means some loss of maneuverability. there will be a process of adjustment.

it may take him a few weeks or longer to fully adjust but I think he will adjust a little faster than the others.

he is looking for a little more mustard on the strokes and a slightly bigger serve without losing too much control.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Interesting.. I recalled in June DarthFed asked what changes to could Fed make to try to make improvements to his game. I mentioned a racket change and it created a lot of 'Noise' on these boards.. Well.. atleast Fed and his team are open to change.

Yes I figured a racquet change and/or coaching change is about all he can do to really shake it up. I like the change because power has been an issue. The serve isn't even great anymore and the rally forehand does not have the same pace as it used to. Most of all I like the change because it shows he is still desperate to stay relevant and turn this thing around. The way he has played this year you'd think he was 41, not 31. A change was needed badly!

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
huntingyou said:

It will take the rest of the season to be confident in the big moments, it's a drastic change. It took Novak a while when he made the jump from 93 to 100
well then, let's hope Fed doesn't also bring in Todd Martin to work on the serve ;)

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
huntingyou said:

well then, let's hope Fed doesn't also bring in Todd Martin to work on the serve ;)

wait, Todd Martin was actually a very good server.... just wasn't compatible with Djoker that's all.

It's a good change for Fed in theory, a bit more pop with the racquet and larger racquet face 'should' cut down the number of shanks. Hopefully this will stop people from ridiculing him as 'shankerer' :D but all is nothing until he can play well again.