Fed makes a change - 98 racquet!

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
ricardo said:
johnsteinbeck said:
huntingyou said:
I use a blade 98.......he will not use that racket without alteration of course

It will take the rest of the season to be confident in the big moments, it's a drastic change. It took Novak a while when he made the jump from 93 to 100
well then, let's hope Fed doesn't also bring in Todd Martin to work on the serve ;)

wait, Todd Martin was actually a very good server.... just wasn't compatible with Djoker that's all.

It's a good change for Fed in theory, a bit more pop with the racquet and larger racquet face 'should' cut down the number of shanks. Hopefully this will stop people from ridiculing him as 'shankerer' :D but all is nothing until he can play well again.

don't worry, i actually always kinda liked Todd Martin (back then as a player - don't assume that i like him for what he did to a good part of Novak's career ;) ). i guess incompatibility describes it well, though.

oh, and i never thought of "Shankerer" as a mean ridicule (btw, i generally preferred "Federror"), but simply as a way of naming a phenomenon that has risen dramatically in the past three years or so.

i'm honestly really excited about seeing him play with the new racquet. i don't expect quick results though... as hunting said, these things take time. a pro's motions are well-refined mechanics, and such a drastic racquet change means the rest of the machinery will need to get used to this.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
i'm honestly really excited about seeing him play with the new racquet. i don't expect quick results though... as hunting said, these things take time. a pro's motions are well-refined mechanics, and such a drastic racquet change means the rest of the machinery will need to get used to this.

The added tournaments (Hamburg, Gstaad) also make more sense now in light of knowing he's trying out a new racquet. He can work with it in actual match play (vs. practice) prior to entering the big tournaments, like the Rogers Cup, Cincinnati, and the USO.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
clay is critical to having a viable ground game. even serena realizes this. she is also taking in a clay event and stepping up her practice sessions on clay.

so that is another reason why he might be spending some extra time on clay. either way it was an outstanding idea.

now he gets to try out his new racquet and he gets the critical work done on the ground game.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good move. Annacone succeeded with Roger where he failed with Pete.

Playing these smaller tournaments is also a good idea, as it allows him to adjust before the upcoming Masters events and Flushing Meadows.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:

Playing these smaller tournaments is also a good idea, as it allows him to adjust before the upcoming Masters events and Flushing Meadows.

An observation about the timing of the changes. Fed hired Annacone
in Aug 2010 shortly after the GS semifinal streak of 23 is snapped in
FO 2010. His relationship with Annacone got formalized in Aug. 2010,
but was on a trial basis for sometime (perhaps a couple of months)
before.

Fed made the racquet change shortly after the GS quarterfinal streak
is snapped.

Finally, in 2008 when everybody in the press was giving a hard time,
he did not bother to make any changes and he was right on that decision
considering his success in 4 grand slams out of 6 starting from 2008 USO.

So, it appears that Fed knows when he need to change up something.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
nehmeth said:

An observation about the timing of the changes. Fed hired Annacone
in Aug 2010 shortly after the GS semifinal streak of 23 is snapped in
FO 2010. His relationship with Annacone got formalized in Aug. 2010,
but was on a trial basis for sometime (perhaps a couple of months)
before.

Fed made the racquet change shortly after the GS quarterfinal streak
is snapped.

Finally, in 2008 when everybody in the press was giving a hard time,
he did not bother to make any changes and he was right on that decision
considering his success in 4 grand slams out of 6 starting from 2008 USO.

So, it appears that Fed knows when he need to change up something.

You cant "change or beat " Father Time". He is undefeated!