Favourite football team?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pick your poison and notable others...

Team: Liverpool

Notable Others: Flamengo (Brazil) Sporting (Portugal), Rangers (Scotland)

Soft spot for: Cardiff City, Blackpool.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Team: Juventus.

Notable others: AC Milan (weird, I know), PSG (only due to Zlatan).

Soft Spot: Barcelona.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't follow football hugely, but I do have favorites.

Team: Real Madrid

Notable others: FC Barcelona (if Broken can have Juventus and AC Milan, though not as bad as Inter…,) Juventus (I used to live in Torino.)

Soft spot: Liverpool, (new...for BB,) leaning to Boca Juniors over River, and, oddly, perhaps, Arsenal.

Is it time to start talking about the World Cup?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I don't follow football hugely, but I do have favorites.

Team: Real Madrid

Notable others: FC Barcelona (if Broken can have Juventus and AC Milan, though not as bad as Inter…,) Juventus (I used to live in Torino.)

Soft spot: Liverpool, (new...for BB,) leaning to Boca Juniors over River, and, oddly, perhaps, Arsenal.

Is it time to start talking about the World Cup?

Good on yer moxie :)

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Inter Milan,Liverpool
Others Real Madrid, Roma, Porto.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One can have AC Milan and Juventus because they are generally friendly to each other. However one can not have AC Milan and Inter Milan or Juventus and Inter Milan.

markus1

Club Member
Reactions
Team: Bayern Munich
Notable Others: Real Madrid, Barca
No soft spots at the moment :D

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
augustonsports.blogspot.com
Team: Liverpool

Notable Other: Bayern

Shows quite well that I'm not such a passionate Bayern fan as I can also support their arch-rival Dortmund. Mostly because I want Germany to have more than one successful club.

In Finland, I don't really have a favourite club. My home city's club isn't so important for the people there and it's a yo-yo club between the two highest levels. And also no emotional contact to other Finnish clubs, in TV they show more international than national football. That's where my love for English football stems from, and as Finland has never made the WC/Euros, I've cheered for England. Even though this year I cheer also for Germany as I'm living there.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
My brother who is older than me tells me when I was little, I had Manchester United as my team.
I really don't remember those days and these days I don't have a favorite!
BUT...I know Caro is a Liverpool fan and now that I know BB is a fan too, I guess I am leaning that way!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I've swung Liverpool because of the ol'Baron, as well, after my other favorites. Uh, oh! Next thing you know, we'll have the Manchester United people complaining we're a Liverpool forum. :laydownlaughing

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
England. club sides I like Barcelona and to a leeser extent real Madrid, I enjoy the top teams in the prem, Holland teams in champ lg, etc..I usually try to watch Barcelona every week if I can (messi/iniesta/etc..), and man utd/man city/lpool/arsenal/Chelsea sometimes depending on the fixture in the prem.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ C'mon chief - you must have a dog in the race. Which team did you follow as a kid?

I've never met a man alive who likes both Liverpool and Man Utd... oil and water.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Everton and only Everton.

As a "soccer" fan in the UK where everyone generally supports their local team and so everyone has a decent domestic following to speak of, it does sadden me to see the culture in countries which don't have their own elite league (although the MLS is coming on year on year, while also posing a problem that millions of people in the US are still miles and miles from their "local" soccer team) tend to go for the predictable elite European clubs.

Still, if people aren't interested enough to delve any deeper you can't blame them. I'm not criticising you guys or anything, because that would be on a par with criticising a non-tennis fan for saying Nadal or Federer is their favourite player and saying that they should watch loads of tennis and choose someone more obscure.

But one day soon Everton will be the elite club of Europe and all the casual fans from around the globe will come flocking ;)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Everton and only Everton.

As a "soccer" fan in the UK where everyone generally supports their local team and so everyone has a decent domestic following to speak of, it does sadden me to see the culture in countries which don't have their own elite league (although the MLS is coming on year on year, while also posing a problem that millions of people in the US are still miles and miles from their "local" soccer team) tend to go for the predictable elite European clubs.

I don't think it's so much the case these days that everybody supports their local team. People move around a lot more these days and equally often kids will tend to support whichever team their Dad supports or took them to see at a young age.

TennisFanatic7 said:
Still, if people aren't interested enough to delve any deeper you can't blame them. I'm not criticising you guys or anything, because that would be on a par with criticising a non-tennis fan for saying Nadal or Federer is their favourite player and saying that they should watch loads of tennis and choose someone more obscure.

But one day soon Everton will be the elite club of Europe and all the casual fans from around the globe will come flocking ;)

The MLS is a totally different product. People tend to follow the big European clubs because that's where they see the best standard. It would be like you telling me back in the day that I shouldn't follow an NFL team and watch the Birmingham Bulls or Manchester Spartans instead.

... "soon" has just taken on a whole new meaning (re:Everton being the elite club of Europe)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:

They most likely would have been the elite club in Europe in the mid- to late-80's, except for ban on English clubs in Europe. They had a magnificent team back then, and it was almost default setting that the champs of England got to parade the giant European Cup the following year...

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
Kieran said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

They most likely would have been the elite club in Europe in the mid- to late-80's, except for ban on English clubs in Europe. They had a magnificent team back then, and it was almost default setting that the champs of England got to parade the giant European Cup the following year...

Yes, thankfully I'm not old enough to have bitter memories about that one....

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

Fair point, but looking forward, it's not on the horizon.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
In case it wasn't clear, I was being tongue in cheek!

No fun in supporting a football team though if you don't let just a small part of you believe that it could happen with blind optimism ;)