Favourite football team?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
You never know! An oil rich Saudi prince might step in and everything gets put on the table...

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Kieran said:
You never know! An oil rich Saudi prince might step in and everything gets put on the table...

Sometimes that seems like the only way but I'd be much happier if we could do it the old fashioned way. Maybe we can produce a golden generation of youngsters a la Man Utd with Scholes, Beckham, Giggs and the Neville brothers.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, Man Utd only did that once. Arsenal have tried to do the same - the bleedin' cheapskates - but produced nobody great. It's getting harder for English clubs to find gifted kids who can dribble a beans can down the street with their bad foot...

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Putting aside oil rich Sheikhs and Russians, you used to be able to get a good financial boost if you could sneak into the Champions League one year, but now with Chelsea and Man City having bottomless pits of owners' money, and Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool having better stature and infastructure, the other teams just can't get a look in. Everton and Tottenham are the only ones who can currently get close. Newcastle probably would have a shot if they were run a bit better.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
^ C'mon chief - you must have a dog in the race. Which team did you follow as a kid?

I've never met a man alive who likes both Liverpool and Man Utd... oil and water.

i supported Newcastle united..after getting into football via world cup 1982, all the hubbub about kevin keegan and his miss vs spain then being dropped and his move to Newcastle ..i sort of caught on to what he was doing as i knew zip all about football at the time..in October 1982 on star soccer/the big match on sunday i saw highlights of Rotherham 1-5 Newcastle with keegan scoring 4, and that was that..

so for 8yrs i was a Newcastle fanatic each week i was cheering and groaning like a lot of kids listening to radio2 or waiting for scores to popup on grandstand/world of sport. but in 1991my life was demolished for the 1st time and football meant nothing, by the time i was interested again in 1994 i just wanted to see the top teams play..i didn't have the passion for Newcastle sadly.

i don't support man utd and Liverpool i just want to see the top teams play.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
But surely you were hooked on Newcastle under Keegan?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I liked watching them..but mentally I wasn't there with them anymore. its sad but demolished lives do have a habit of altering reality and the future in some strange ways.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^Ah,so you followed the Toon Army when Gazza came through and the likes of Mickey Quinn were banging in hat-tricks... No shame in that chief. Remember visiting a pal in Durham when the Geordies were just exploding back onto the scene and stood on the Gallowgate End when Micky Quinn banged in a hat trick against Portsmouth in 4-0 win the year they got promoted (91??)... all we got when queuing up was "where were you when we were shit?" as about 4,000 got locked out. I just kept a low profile.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
yes..i can remember around the time gazza made his debut it might have been a 1-0 home win vs qpr I think in mar/apr 1985. or wba..or even a 2-1 win vs Southampton. he was 17yrs old still.

I think promotion season you are on about was 1992-93. the other one was 1983-84 which pushed a lot of excitement into my not very thrilling life in the suburbs of Cheltenham, I can remember loads of scores like when we won 5-0 vs man city on oct 29th 1983..the scores kept flashing up on grandstand, or a couple of years later coming back from holiday in august 1985 in the car radio not believing we were beating the mighty Liverpool 1-0. (sorry to mention that one)

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
I have followed the world cup since 2002 but only started watching club football recently(in 2013). I mostly watch all the matches of Bayern Munich

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Tottenham Hotspur
I've supported Internazionale in Italy since the late eighties with Lothar Mattaus there.
I've also been a supporter of Atletico Madrid in Spain since the early 90s (?) when Radi Antic won the double.

Funnily enough I was almost tempted into being a Southampton supporter when I first started following premier league football (division 1 at the time). That was because Kevin Keegan had arrived there from Hamburg. But the cup winning teams of the might Spurs in the early 80s won my heart :) And I've suffered ever since! :lolz:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
and don't forget ossie, just becossie, back in 81 we made his dream come true.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well,Blackpool fans got the game abandoned against Huddersfield.... not a shameful day for football as described by the BBC. More a shameful day for the Oyston family who aren't fit to run a football club.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
and don't forget ossie, just becossie, back in 81 we made his dream come true.

I love the little guy!

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
Well,Blackpool fans got the game abandoned against Huddersfield.... not a shameful day for football as described by the BBC. More a shameful day for the Oyston family who aren't fit to run a football club.

those clowns removed stan mortensen's statue from outside bloomfield road recently.:huh:

one of only two players who has ever scored a hat-trick in an f.a cup final (i think ??)..apart from anything else.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
http://www.givemesport.com/570727-martin-odegaard-made-a-bad-choice-joining-real-madrid?autoplay=on&utm_source=outbrain-rss&utm_medium=outbrain-rss&utm_campaign=outbrain-rss

I agree with this. Silly boy.. :nono

Aung Aung

Reactions
Favourite team : Liverpool

Notable others : Bayern (Germany) , Barcelona (Spain)

Soft spots for : Ajax (Holland), Arsenal