Erste Bank Open 500, Vienna, ATP 500

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Vienna Open Men's Singles Quarterfinal matches on Friday

1-Andy Murray (Britain) beat John Isner (U.S.) 6-1 6-3
5-David Ferrer (Spain) beat Viktor Troicki (Serbia) 6-3 3-6 7-5
6-Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (France) beat Albert Ramos (Spain) 6-2 7-6(5)
8-Ivo Karlovic (Croatia) beat Karen Khachanov (Russia) 6-7(5) 7-6(5) 6-3

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I may sound mad but I am not. Isner is a good man and i cheer for him. Murray had plenty of luck against Simon who had terrible blister after winning the first set.

i don't like isner's game at all. it's that simple for me.

there are great serves -- legendary ones -- sampras, becker, krajicek, pancho gonzales, in their times.

and more in the recent decades -- but all had wonderful GAMES and athleticism.

ISNER is nothing more than A BIG MAN - that's all -

and i don't mean antying against big men -- ivanisevic was wonderful, karlovic CAN play a rounded game with refined touch, del potro is a big man, cilic , etc. etc. etc.

ISNER is clumsy in tennis. and i care nothing for his game. to me he is a WASTE of space in match rounds. he should be in basketball.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I see where teddy is coming from... I find Isner pretty painful to watch... just the exhausted hangdog demeanour between points is enough....

those are among his characteristics i don't like.

it's not necessarily about 'hangdog' - sampras had that too - lol and he was my favorite, hehe...

but the thing is -- all that kind of 'presence' for me --

his size that everyone of course puts so much stock on as a mountainous obstacle and test for players -- is ALL there is about him...the hangdog just exacerbates it because there's nothing THERE to bring out as an interesting game or athlete at all.

CLUMSINESS is what you see from such a big man --

where we are NOW quite used to ''discover" BIG MEN CAN be graceful athletes -- we've got lots of them --

so -- to me -- WHAT IS HE THERE FOR?
just really look at the difference between the Subtlety alternating with power of karlovic with isner...look past their similar size.

KARLOVIC IS A TENNIS PLAYER.

ISNER IS NOT. at least not in terms of the ''idea" of tennis being a game of MOVEMENT -- athletic -- whether you are a big person or tiny one like ferrer.

but i can also udnerstand what Mastoor means about the ''person" thing -- a good guy -- and all that...

but then that's the personality part -- that is distinct from a player's GAME.

nole is -- as i often say -- THE gentleman of tennis along with his career's rise, challenges to be accepted AND his dominance as one of the greatest in history - AND in his own defeats.

THAT'S A GOOD MAN. AND i DECLARE AGAIN --

I LOVE THAT GUY. and what he stands for in his game and in his personality.

isner? yukh! but , u know. we\re all with our little ''entitlements' ' who to like or not. i just really can't stand isner...and at leasst speakoing for myself

that has liked all sorts of players for oene reasoln or another --

from tiny arantxa sanchez vicario for her on-court feisntiness even if the 'moonballs' were at times frustrating to see, haha...

to giants or players with giant games like pete s or del potro or just really talented guys like nole, andy, rafa, and of course it would be a CRIME to NOT admire the great roger's game...no matter if one doesn't like his ''personality -- i me and roger -- all three of us love to watch federer's
**game on video replays because it's so beautiful**" (he DID say that years ago , lol) .

but one way or another - they PLAYED A GAME OF TENNIS.

and didn't just play tennis ''because i have a long reach and can serve from the tower".

i mean what would isner do if he faced a 7 footer matured game? or that supposedly new american KID -- - yes -- 7 feet TALL -- actually can RETURN serves and run BETTER? and has better shots and variety? and when HIS big serves go below 50% -- actually has a game BEHIND the serve or return to make a match and still win it?

lol.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Murray's really got the bit between his teeth... Looking like an unstoppable train at the moment.

he has to keep that added ''aggressive" initiative in his attitude more. when he plays like that -- especially in his forehand and improving his serve's bite -- he is amazing to watch.

every player with good talent -- IF they have it -- it's always nice to see what they can do.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I feel a bit for Dr Ivo. He had an excellent chance to beat Tsonga, was up in the 3rd set tiebreaker and then double faulted. Credit to Tsonga, he held his nerves better in crucial moments. Murray got a walkover from Ferrer, so it will be Murray vs Tsonga in the final tomorrow.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
good news for andy getting a rest via ferrer's injury w/o..Tsonga might be a bit tired after a 3setter today so prob bad news for mr t.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Vienna Final

v

Andy Murray v Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

H2H: Murray leads 13-3

2016 Wimbledon QF Grass Andy Murray Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-6(10) 6-1 3-6 4-6 6-1
2015 Canadian Masters QF Hard Andy Murray Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-4 6-4
2015 Great Britain v France - DC WG - QF 0 Hard Andy Murray Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-5 7-6(10) 6-2
2014 US Open R16 Hard Andy Murray Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-5 7-5 6-4
2014 Canadian Masters QF Hard Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Andy Murray 7-6(5) 4-6 6-4
2014 Miami Masters R16 Hard Andy Murray Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-4 6-1
2013 Queen's SF Grass Andy Murray Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 4-6 6-3 6-2
2012 ATP World Tour Finals 11 Hard Andy Murray Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-2 7-6(3)
2012 Wimbledon SF Grass Andy Murray Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-3 6-4 3-6 7-5
2011 Queen's F Grass Andy Murray Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 3-6 7-6(2) 6-4
2010 Shanghai Masters QF Hard Andy Murray Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-2 6-2
2010 Wimbledon QF Grass Andy Murray Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-7(5) 7-6(5) 6-2 6-2
2009 Canadian Masters SF Hard Andy Murray Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-4 7-6(8)
2008 Australian Open R128 Hard Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Andy Murray 7-5 6-4 0-6 7-6(5)
2007 Metz QF Hard Andy Murray Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-3 6-3
2004 Nottingham Challenger R16 Grass Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Andy Murray 7-6(5) 6-2

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
good news for andy getting a rest via ferrer's injury w/o..Tsonga might be a bit tired after a 3setter today so prob bad news for mr t.

I can't really see beyond a Murray victory. He's dominated Tsonga over the years, is in great form and is zoning in on the Number One slot. Too much momentum to imagine Tsonga winning this match.

Reactions: Tennis Fan

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good win by Muzz after an easy way to the finals because the injuries of his opponents. That means he will be more rested for Paris and we could see a good fight between him and Novak for the #1
But anyway Paris/ Bercy is going to miss many good players this year, Wawrinka and Ferru probably won't play either :(