3. DIMITROV, Grigor
4. CARRENO BUSTA, Pablo
5. ISNER, John
6. QUERREY, Sam
7. ANDERSON, Kevin
8. TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried

erstebankopen-wien02-16_1469115508778-fix.jpg

The Tournament:

The Austrian capital of Vienna is the country's most populous city with 1.7 million residents and the nation's cultural, political and business centre. The Erste Bank Open 500, played each year in late October, is regularly frequented by the world's Top 10 players, with 18 of the 25 ATP World Tour's No. 1 players having competed in Vienna.

About City

Vienna is old, Vienna is new and so varied: from the magnificent Baroque buildings to golden Art Nouveau to the latest architecture. And over 100 museums beckon.

Walk in the footsteps of the Habsburgs, visit the splendid baroque Schönbrunn and Belvedere Palaces, or stroll along the magnificent Ring Boulevard and take a look at the heart of the former vast Habsburg empire, the Imperial Palace. Get a sense of the luster and glory of the old empire by visiting St. Stephen's Cathedral, the Spanish Riding School, the Giant Ferris Wheel at the Prater, as well as the sarcophagi in the Imperial Vault.

Vienna's Ringstrasse is 5.3 kilometers long. Long enough to provide space for numerous monumental buildings, which were built during the period of Historicism in the 1860s to 1890s. Today, the buildings that stand there from the Vienna State Opera to the Museum of Fine Arts – are among the most important sights in the city of Vienna.

You can walk over 1,716 bridges at least you can in Vienna. Vienna actually has four times as many bridges as Venice. Just as interesting in terms of their architecture are the many historic fountains that dot Vienna's streets and make it one of the most livable cities in the world. Ultimately, Vienna's spring water flows from the drinking fountains!

Welcome to the world's music capital! More famous composers have lived here than in any other city - in Vienna, music is literally in the air: Waltzes and operettas have their home here, and so do musicals "made in Vienna," which have conquered international audiences. Almost every street in Vienna city center can recount stories of famous composers - including Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart, Brahms, Gluck, Vivaldi, Strauss, Salieri, Schubert, Schönberg, Bruckner and many more ...

image_gallery

158534835.jpg

vienna-highlights-bike-tour-in-vienna-123792.jpg
straustall.jpg

heindlmozartkugeln.jpg

Tourism Guide:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
While I'm sure all eyes will be on Basel, there's a lot going on in this draw, particularly in the top section.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Vienna Open Men's Singles Round 1 matches on Monday

1-Alexander Zverev (Germany) beat Viktor Troicki (Serbia) 6-3 4-6 6-4
Philipp Kohlschreiber (Germany) beat 5-John Isner (U.S.) 7-6(6) 6-4
Pierre-Hugues Herbert (France) beat Bernard Tomic (Australia) 7-6(4) 7-5
Richard Gasquet (France) beat Feliciano Lopez (Spain) 6-2 6-3
Gilles Simon (France) beat Ernests Gulbis (Latvia) 6-3 6-3

Tomic misses entry into the Paris Masters and will need to reply on either a Wildcard or qualifying to make the AO.

Reactions: Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In the match yesterday??

Yup. Getting a lot of flak for it. I don't think he did more than a couple of times (haven't seen the match) but he's getting headlines down under... and not good ones. He'll need a wildcard for the AO or to qualify. Apparently Tennis Australia will take Hewitt's guidance for AO wildcards and I don't think Bernie's attitude is sitting well with Lleyton... we'll see.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GG Lopez came back from the dead to beat K. Anderson in straights. I guess we're starting to get the end of the year x-factor.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Novak, D, in his first ATP level match in a long time, beat Fabbiano, T in Vienna today.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sam Querry promptly loses in the first round. This when there is a possibility of making it to London.

It looks like Grigor dropped out as Novak played someone else.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sam Querry promptly loses in the first round. This when there is a possibility of making it to London.

It looks like Grigor dropped out as Novak played someone else.
Thanks...I didn't even realize. Dimitrov dropped out citing fatigue, replaced by LL Fabbiano. The attrition part of the calendar is in fuller swing even than usual. Wonder what the field in Paris/Bercy is going to look like, and if people will judge it a 250, or some such thing.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Vienna Open Men's Singles Round 1 matches on Tuesday

4-Pablo Carreno (Spain) beat Guido Pella (Argentina) 6-2 7-6(7)
Jan-Lennard Struff (Germany) beat Pablo Cuevas (Uruguay) 7-5 6-1
2-Dominic Thiem (Austria) beat Andrey Rublev (Russia) 6-4 6-3
Albert Ramos (Spain) beat 6-Sam Querrey (U.S.) 3-6 7-6(7) 7-6(3)
Lucas Pouille (France) beat Sebastian Ofner (Austria) 6-3 6-4
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (Spain) beat 7-Kevin Anderson (South Africa) 6-4 6-4
Dennis Novak (Austria) beat Thomas Fabbiano (Italy) 7-6(4) 7-5
Kyle Edmund (Britain) beat David Ferrer (Spain) 6-2 7-6(5)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks...I didn't even realize. Dimitrov dropped out citing fatigue, replaced by LL Fabbiano. The attrition part of the calendar is in fuller swing even than usual. Wonder what the field in Paris/Bercy is going to look like, and if people will judge it a 250, or some such thing.

Grigor dropping out might be more of a strategic move than attrition. He just recently qualified into WTF and so did not feel the need to play in this lowly 500 event. If he has not yet made the cut, I am sure he would have played. I think he is just saving himself for Bercy and WTF.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Grigor dropping out might be more of a strategic move than attrition. He just recently qualified into WTF and so did not feel the need to play in this lowly 500 event. If he has not yet made the cut, I am sure he would have played. I think he is just saving himself for Bercy and WTF.
Fair point, but he's a bit up himself to be laying off. More than decent chance he could have won Vienna, likely just facing Thiem and Zverev. I don't think he deserves to save himself for the bigger tournaments if he can't win the smaller ones, but I'm a bit hard on the guy. He has had a long year.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Vienna Open Men's Singles matches on Wednesday

Round 2
1-Alexander Zverev (Germany) beat Gilles Simon (France) 7-6(6) 6-4
Philipp Kohlschreiber (Germany) beat Pierre-Hugues Herbert (France) 7-6(4) 6-3

Round 1

8-Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (France) beat Karen Khachanov (Russia) 6-7(2) 6-4 6-3
Damir Dzumhur (Bosnia and Herzegovina) beat Ricardas Berankis (Lithuania) 6-4 6-2
Diego Schwartzman (Argentina) beat Fabio Fognini (Italy) 6-1 2-6 6-2

Sascha has pulled out of the Nextgen End of Year...

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thiem continues to lose week after week

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Vienna Open Men's Singles Quarterfinal matches on Friday

8-Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (France) beat 1-Alexander Zverev (Germany) 7-6(6) 6-2
Lucas Pouille (France) beat Richard Gasquet (France) 7-6(5) 6-1
Philipp Kohlschreiber (Germany) beat Diego Schwartzman (Argentina) 7-5 7-6(6)
Kyle Edmund (Britain) beat Jan-Lennard Struff (Germany) 6-2 7-5

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It is one of those paradoxes. If the current #6 ranked player gets week after week upset by lower ranked layers, it is a sign of a weakaning field at the top.
If it was not for the many injuries in the top 10, Thiem would be ranked several shots lower.
Also I am wondering if he ever will improve on HC, because this is the surface where he has trouble taking care of lower ranked opponents.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It is one of those paradoxes. If the current #6 ranked player gets week after week upset by lower ranked layers, it is a sign of a weakaning field at the top.
If it was not for the many injuries in the top 10, Thiem would be ranked several spots lower.
Also I am wondering if he ever will improve on HC, because this is the surface where he has trouble taking care of lower ranked opponents.

Last edited: