Early US Open Ruminations

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Robert Stephane withdraws from Main Draw. Donskoy gets in.

So far 7 withdrawals, with 2 more possible.

The next withdrawal will make Tim smyczek get in directly, thus releasing a wild card spot.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The USTA officially announces the seeds for the Men's singles event. As of now, Kei Nishikori and Richard Gasquet have not withdrawn. If they withdraw before the draw ceremony scheduled for 12 noon on Thursday, the seeds can be adjusted to reflect that in a straight forward manner. However, if they withdraw after the draw is made, the rebalancing of the draw is done by using a more complicated procedure, the details of which I will not delve upon at this time here.

This year, so far there were 7 withdrawals. While this is normal, 5 of them are players who
would have been seeded had they not withdrawn. This is abnormal.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
One more note: As the qualifying tourny has begun, if any vacant slot is created in the main draw from now on due to late withdrawals, it will go to a lucky loser of the qualifying tournament (a name drawn at random from the 16 players who lost in the last round of the qualifying tournament). Hence, the next person in the line from the alternates list cannot get in.

This means Tim Smyczek do not have a chance anymore to become a direct entry
even though he is the next person in line. Hence, a wild card will not be freed up to the
USTA. Recall, that Tim has a WC entry into USO already.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
QF Day 1;

Notable winners: Michael Russel and Steve Darcis

Notable Losers: Zeballos and Somdev

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
More notable winners from day 1: Marc Chudinelli of Switzerland, Malek Jahiri of Tunisia,
Peter Polansky of Canada, Mecir (the son) of SVK, James Duckworth of AUS, Zverev of GER

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
my early prediction is that a tennis player will win the usopen title. :idea:

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
Clearly it has to be a tennis player because it is a tennis tournament.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^I beleeeeve that was a joke. ;)

Borna Coric won his match over Thiemo de Bakker 1-0 RET. That's quite the outlay of cash to only play one game and go home. Anyway, good for young Coric. And Joao Sousa is already out. Lost to Ilya Marchenko. Kind of a shocker.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Day 2:

Notable winners: Yuki Bhambri of India, Rajeev Ram of USA, Borna Coric of Croatia,
Andreas Beck and Philip Petschzner of Germany.

Notable loser: Thiemo DeBakker of Netherlands.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
borna coric won after about 2mins 1-0 up..de bakker must have got some big injury.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
borna coric won after about 2mins 1-0 up..de bakker must have got some big injury.

I know, which is sad, or freak illness. Whichever, I hope it's short-lived. I pointed out Coric because I know he's your boy.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And MY boy Francis Tiafoe is down a set, but up a break over ITO. Go, Francis!

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:

Yeah, for instance one won it last year... but other 127 lost it, altough one of them got pretty close. Anyway, 127 to 1, the odds are not looking good.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just before the draw comes out, and I have to make picks for the draw challenge, I will ruminate, a bit more. Djokovic and Federer are the clear favorites, and in that order. But Djokovic is suffering from distraction, one of big bugaboos. Fed is striding, but he's not a given at best-of-5 anymore. As El Dude pointed out, while if either makes the final, they should be favored, there's a chance that neither of them makes the final. So where to go from there? A lot of others have looked really vulnerable, too. The stock on Stan and Berdy is sinking, not rising. And Dimitrov can't seem to prove himself capable of winning more than a couple of 3-setters in a row. I hope that Murray is finding form and confidence, but there's not yet evidence of it. Tsonga has to know that he's got solid dark-horse chances. I agree with those who have said it's the most "open" Open in some time.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
this USO might be a noninteresting affair with a surprise winner.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Shame Dolgopolov is out too. Most likely Nishikori too and both of them could've made things interesting if fit.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Shame Dolgopolov is out too. Most likely Nishikori too and both of them could've made things interesting if fit.

I didn't think either had officially withdrawn, though I know both are doubtful. Yes, both are interesting spoilers, but I don't think you can claim more for either, yet. But this is part of my point about this Open. No one plausible looks very good at this moment except Roger, and, at a distance, Jo.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
:mad: And Tiafoe went down in 3. Too bad.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Day 2 further update:

Notable winners: Sanam Singh (IND), Rajeev Ram (USA), James Ward (GBR)

Notable losers: Tiafoe (USA), Daniel Evans (GBR)

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
JesuslookslikeBorg said:

I know, which is sad, or freak illness. Whichever, I hope it's short-lived. I pointed out Coric because I know he's your boy.

I wouldn't say he was my boy..just I came across him and garin and decided to see what happened to them from then on..coric seems so far to be having more success, garin is stuck in the mid 300s rank (no usopen qualifying for him seemingly).

coric will be a top player.