Early Talk about Roland Garros

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
In fairness, JLLB, if that's the record people are playing, the full twelve inch version shows that the match shoulda been done in four...

I still blame the wind....for Rafa not serving it out in 4 sets

;)

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
In fairness, JLLB, if that's the record people are playing, the full twelve inch version shows that the match shoulda been done in four...
ok I shut up then, i was getting ready for the hosp during that 4th tb. i saw a few points but..umm. bloody 4hr 37min match..thought I'd sneak in the whole match but the grindfest went on and on and my teleport machine to the hosp was not working that day. was out the door just as 5th set was starting lol.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
Kieran said:

;)

ah haaaaa windgate :plot :emperor:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
fashionista said:
Kieran said:

;)

ah haaaaa windgate :plot :emperor:

I was a Broken Women....at the point in the match........what else can I say......;)

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
RE: 2014 Masters Series Rome Final: Djokovic v. Nadal

Kirijax said:
This week's action has me thinking that Nadal is going to grab yet another French Open title this year. A couple weeks ago I was thinking he had little chance but now he has positioned himself right where he needs to be. I'll be surprised if he fails in winning his 9th French this year.

He's still my favourite to win, although I certainly wouldn't be surprised, per-se, if he comes up empty-handed. Djokovic is more than capable in defeating Nadal on the dirt, even across 5 sets IMO. But yeah, if Nadal finds a way to either defeat or avoid Djokovic, then he's got it in the bag.

Interesting to note that, if my memory is serving me correctly, the last time Djokovic defeated Nadal at a slam was USO 2011, so...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
AP, I think his camp has to look at how he has lost the matches he has on clay this year, including the Nishikori win for obvious reasons. People that beat him are on the baseline, taking time away from him and he is 20 feet behind, scrambling all over the place. Even today, during the third set, he decided to hug the baseline for a bit and attack and he had success, broke Nole .
He has to take command of the rallies early and not sit so far back. It will work against %90 of the competition but the rest can punish you for it. Also, he is returning from so far back...I know why he is doing it and when he gets his return nice and deep to neutralize the rally, it works. But his returns for the most part has been so short recently and good players punish him for it.

This is what must be done, and you are right. Nadal knows it, but it takes confidence to do it. All in all, I think he goes into RG better than we would have thought a couple of weeks ago. Let's see if he makes the adjustments. (Game and head.)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

^Or actually the AO in 2012, but close.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

It was only ever going to be Djokovic who can beat him at RG, at least this year. There is probably no one else with more than a 1% chance, seriously.

So given Sunday's result I'd say it is more up in the air. This match was more important to Djokovic to give Rafa something to think about if they do meet in the RG final. The question is whether or not Djoker will reach the final. He will want to avoid the Swiss guys I'd think.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Moxie629 said:

So since the 2012 AO final, Nadal has won the last three I think.

2012 French
2013 French
2013 U.S.

Never thought about thaï½” but its interesting. And after last year, you wonder if Djokovic thinks he jinxed in the FO.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions

Moxie629 said:

Damn, I knew my memory would fail me there. Yeah, can't believe I forgot that epic.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

DarthFed said:
It was only ever going to be Djokovic who can beat him at RG, at least this year. There is probably no one else with more than a 1% chance, seriously.

So given Sunday's result I'd say it is more up in the air. This match was more important to Djokovic to give Rafa something to think about if they do meet in the RG final. The question is whether or not Djoker will reach the final. He will want to avoid the Swiss guys I'd think.

Agreed that the today match means more to Djokovic than Nadal, in terms of stored up psychology points. There could be a trip-up for Nadal at RG, but it is unlikely. As to the Swiss guys, Novak will only avoid one, if the draw holds. I'm guessing he'll hope Wawrinka's not in his half, this time. I don't think Rafa will mind, either way.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Kirijax said:
Moxie629 said:

2012 French
2013 French
2013 U.S.

Never thought about thaï½” but its interesting. And after last year, you wonder if Djokovic thinks he jinxed in the FO.

"Jinxed?" :nono Outmatched? yes.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
Kirijax said:
Moxie629 said:

2012 French
2013 French
2013 U.S.

You have to admit Nadal was very lucky to get out alive last year.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Kirijax said:
Moxie629 said:
Kirijax said:
Moxie629 said:

2012 French
2013 French
2013 U.S.

I don't think so. Djokovic had to work hard to get a fifth, but he did, I'll give you that. And Novak had an advantage in the 5th, but he blew it. Nadal held his nerves and his game, when Nole didn't. Also, Djokovic was lackluster for the first set and a half, and dismal in the third. Overall, I wouldn't say that Nadal was "lucky," just that he was better.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Moxie629 said:

I don't think so. Djokovic had to work hard to get a fifth, but he did, I'll give you that. And Novak had an advantage in the 5th, but he blew it. Nadal held his nerves and his game, when Nole didn't. Also, Djokovic was lackluster for the first set and a half, and dismal in the third. Overall, I wouldn't say that Nadal was "lucky," just that he was better.
[/quote]

Nice to see you thinking this way re that match 'cos that's exactly what Djokovic was. He was lackluster the year before too till the rain came to be honest. I hope he brings more from the very start this time if they meet again this year 'cos it can be a chore to watch Djokovic playing crap or Nadal for that matter. Today's match was mostly high quality from both, despite frequent breaks. Good final.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
DarthFed said:

Agreed that the today match means more to Djokovic than Nadal, in terms of stored up psychology points. There could be a trip-up for Nadal at RG, but it is unlikely. As to the Swiss guys, Novak will only avoid one, if the draw holds. I'm guessing he'll hope Wawrinka's not in his half, this time. I don't think Rafa will mind, either way.

I forgot that they'd be ranked #3 and #4 so Nole will be scheduled to face one in the semis. I'd guess he'd want Fed instead of Wawrinka too. Nadal would definitely prefer Roger though it shouldn't matter anyways.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:

Nice to see you thinking this way re that match 'cos that's exactly what Djokovic was. He was lackluster the year before too till the rain came to be honest. I hope he brings more from the very start this time if they meet again this year 'cos it can be a chore to watch Djokovic playing crap or Nadal for that matter. Today's match was mostly high quality from both, despite frequent breaks. Good final.
[/quote]

[quote/]
I need to make a point here about your very bad use of quoting. I was not the one who said "You have to admit Nadal was very lucky to get out alive last year." That was Kirijax. (Just needed to clarify.) And obviously I'm not doing a great job of quoting, not that you've mess it up!

Otherwise, stunningly, we agree, on the two last RG meetings between the two, and today's match. How did that happen? :hug

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

^ LOL, sorry about that. I just deleted loads of the prior quotes 'cos it was a total mess. Clearly I didn't do a good job though!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Lack of technological skills may not impress some, but we're still charming. :heart:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

^ Lack of sleep more than anything although I went to bed at 12:30 yesterday! That was considered very early :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 23
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 343
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 627
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 256
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 15