Early Talk about Roland Garros

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Let me give a few days for Nadalites to get over his loss (oops, win :snigger) in
Madrid and turn the spotlight elsewhere.

One other thing that I am looking for at this RG is the performance of the new
crop of Spanish players who recently registered on the radar. For example, how
would Agut, PCB and Andujar etc would do at RG? It looks to me that these
new crop of players have overperformed if you compare them to second tier
of spanish player such as Montanes, Granollers, Robredo etc in this clay season.
I think at least one of these new crop of Spaniards will make the QF this year
with some help from draw gods.

Another intrigue is what would the two highly unpredictable folks
Dog and Fog would do at RG. We know they cannot win RG. In fact, they
have already been thrown out of Rome. But, they seem to be ideal players
to act as a spoiler (taking out a top 10 player) in one round and bowing out
to a mediocre player in the next round. Can folks think of some other spoilers?
How about Gulbis and/or Cilic?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Gulbis has the capability to be a spoiler. He could take out a top player in round 3 or four, but he's that guy - the one who if he played the same top player in a final, would lose in straights.

He's a sniper - not made for hand to hand combat.

I don't see the fuss with Fog, and Dolgo unfortunately looks like he's misplaced his banjo.

I think Stan is nice and quiet now after MC, and he'll definitely go into RG with a lot of spine, and spite, to spare...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As much as I like Dolgo (and yeah, I love watching him play) - he hasn't got the basic "go to" game to hang in slams. As far as I'm concerned I'd bet my house he will never win a slam. I don't think he'll come close... but he's got a game that can upset anyone on any given day... just not consistently over two weeks.

Gulbis... People must be having a laugh if they think he's a slam contender. Another guy with a high top end but a low bottom end to go with it. The only thing consistent about Ernests is that he doesn't deliver.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Gulbis is a potentially dangerous opponent to face in a Masters 1000 event if he catches fire. That's all he is.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
britbox said:
As much as I like Dolgo (and yeah, I love watching him play) - he hasn't got the basic "go to" game to hang in slams. As far as I'm concerned I'd bet my house he will never win a slam. I don't think he'll come close... but he's got a game that can upset anyone on any given day... just not consistently over two weeks.

Gulbis... People must be having a laugh if they think he's a slam contender. Another guy with a high top end but a low bottom end to go with it. The only thing consistent about Ernests is that he doesn't deliver.

Hard to have a killer instinct with such a rich "old man!" Mon Deiu; owns an island? :nono :clap :angel:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Talking of spoilers, how about Kohlschrbrier. He has the history of taking out big scalps
in Grand Slams and then fading away. I think he has beaten Djoker, Roddick, Isner etc in
Grandslams.

This year, he does not have good results at all. I have not seen any of his matches this
year. I don't know what is up with him. But, I am glad he won two matches in a row in
Rome (and he plays Djoker next, I think).

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kohli is getting older and his results aren't as good as before. 30 now and 31 in Oct. A player I like though, he has a great backhand.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
britbox said:

Hard to have a killer instinct with such a rich "old man!" Mon Deiu; owns an island? :nono :clap :angel:

That was the knock on Gulbis, but, in fairness, I think he's recommitted himself to his tennis. He can only be as mentally strong as he is, but he does have talent. And I do think he's trying to make more of it.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Where the hell is Soderling when you need him?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
1972Murat said:
mrzz said:

Hey, I will take anyone from Sweden, a country with one of the richest tennis traditions, but the highest ranked guy today from Sweden is at 367 !

I saw Enquist a couple weeks ago playing that int'l exhibition; SMASH...! Maybe they can lure him back! :angel:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm sure he'd come back willingly if he could. Seems he has every desire to but his body won't allow him. It's sad :(

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
mrzz said:

I don't think his services are needed this year. A player not yet named will
do the equivalent job.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
mrzz said:

I don't think his services are needed this year. A player not yet named will
do the equivalent job.

You, and many others will be hoping it is so. Except for Djokovic and Wawrinka fans, who'll be hoping it's they're guy to take him down personally. But anyway, that's why we get the great nostalgia for Soderling around this time of year. :cool: We know the salivation is for "anyone but Nadal," we Rafa fans. We'll still just have to see, though, won't we? :wave

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Personally, I think you still have to make Rafa THE favorite. Honestly, until proven otherwise, but here's my thinking:

Djokovic is considered his biggest threat on clay, for the last few years. Still, he's 0-5 against Nadal at RG, as is Roger. The wrist is still a question, and we'll see how he fares in Rome. If he doesn't go in 100% to RG, he's not going to win it, since he hasn't when he was.

Wawrinka: will be coming in as the 2nd favorite, I'd think, after Djokovic, to unseat Nadal. This will be a lot of unaccustomed attention and pressure, after the AO win. He didn't fare so well in Madrid. It will obviously be interesting to see how he does in Rome, for the confidence going into Paris.

Murray, Federer, Ferrer: I think they'd all have to be favored by the draw and upset to win the title.

Nishikori: Will be the potential Spoiler, though unlikely Dark Horse.

Which brings us to Rafa. I think much depends on how he's finding his confidence and range. Unless he's really in some deep form and confidence sink, and given what I said above, I doubt that there are 7 players that can beat him at best of 5 on clay. In any case, at this point, it will still come down to Rafa, imo.

No there aren't 7 players who can beat him in best of 5 but you only need one.....

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ricardo said:
No there aren't 7 players who can beat him in best of 5 but you only need one.....

:lolz: Good point. We'll just see when that one shows up, I guess.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
ricardo said:

:lolz: Good point. We'll just see when that one shows up, I guess.

and you need 'that one' just to still call it a tournament otherwise we might as name it the Rafa show, knowing there is only one winner anyway.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
mrzz said:

...said every Federer fan ever ;)

who has also "forgotten" the 2010 RG final, the 2011 RG quarterfinal, and every other clay-court match they ever played.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I'm sure Mrzz just means "someone like" Soderling. Because Soderling couldn't help, even if he were playing. For those who are "anyone but Rafa," it's Djokovic, Wawrinka, or the 'player to be named later.' And remembering that in 09 it WAS the 'player to be named later.'

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 23
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 343
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 627
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 256
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 15