Early Talk about Roland Garros

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here's an odd factoid: This will only be the 3rd RG where Nadal goes in as the #1 seed. I believe that Roger has been #1 seed 6 times. Surprising.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Wawrinka seems to be really practicing hard in the lead up to Roland Garros:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8oTJRhV1jw[/video]

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Stan is in the "agent phase" of his career. He's probably booked up doing so much stuff he won't get time to practice...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Here's an odd factoid: This will only be the 3rd RG where Nadal goes in as the #1 seed. I believe that Roger has been #1 seed 6 times. Surprising.

Well, Rafa has captured the number 1 ranking three separate times in his career, and never really held it for more than a year so it makes perfect sense.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Moxie629 said:

Well, Rafa has captured the number 1 ranking three separate times in his career, and never really held it for more than a year so it makes perfect sense.

Oh, I get it, but it's still a little bit surprising how infrequently he's gone in as the #1 seed.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's true. If RG did their seedings the way Wimbledon did, he'd be #1 every time. I know he was #1 in 2009 when he lost, and then he was #1 in 2011, when he was hugely vulnerable, but won. Being #1 seed doesn't seem to suit Rafa on clay, somehow... :nono

Garro

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I don't think it suits him in general. Each year that he's started out as number one, he's not had the same focus and intensity as the years where he obtained the ranking(08, 10, 13). He prefers to be the underdog.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Garro said:
I don't think it suits him in general. Each year that he's started out as number one, he's not had the same focus and intensity as the years where he obtained the ranking(08, 10, 13). He prefers to be the underdog.

It is not a coincidence. He starts an year #1 means, he had a great year the previous year.
He has already played too many matches and won too many. He is somewhat gassed out
both mentally and physically.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This might be the year that Rafa bucks the trend. I can't help but feel he's equidistant from both glory and gloom. A good start here in Paris would energise him greatly, but a loss could signal dark days. I'm a glass half full bloke but the reality is, he's dicing with death on clay so far, and when he wins it takes a lot out of him.

I always back Rafa because batteries are better than Duracell and I'm glad he has the boys who beat him in both MC and Barce to face in his quarter, but it's long been known, you should be careful what you wish for...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Garro said:

I don't buy the underdog part. GMS's explanation makes more sense. Since when is Nadal an underdog on clay anyway? Whether he's seeded 1 or 2, he's always been the favorite at Roland Garros so that number wasn't making too much of a difference. Nadal has won 5 slams while being the number 1 player in the world. Not too bad.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Men's quals are over except for one match.

Here are some folks that made it: Peter Polansky of Canada, Simon Bolleli and Potato
Starch of Italy, James Ward of GBR, James Duckworth of Australia.

R

Rose

I just wish RG was over because I don't think the player that wins it will be named Rafa :cover

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 23
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 343
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 627
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 256
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 15