Early Talk about Roland Garros

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Moxie629 said:
TennisFanatic7 said:
Carlos Berlocq has had a couple of good wins against Benneteau and Mahut this week, although admittedly those guys don't particularly rate clay as their favourite surface. He also got his first top 10 wins on his way to winning Oeiras the other week. He hasn't done well in the slams in the past, but he has taken some decent wins in 5 set Davis Cup matches on clay against Seppi and Simon. Also took Tsonga to a fifth set in one of them and has a win over Kohlschreiber after the German retired in the 5th set.

Potential spoiler at Garros? Not for the elite guys but some of the other seeds who don't like the clay so much?

I was going to mention Berlocq, but couldn't tell how interested everyone was in going deep in the rankings. He's 31, but a wily veteran on clay. And he did take down Berdych in Oerias. That was an upset. Like you, I'm kind of interested in the guys who are the "land mines" for early rounds. Not for the top guys, but the ones no one wants to see too soon.

I'm planning on doing a blog piece on unseeded players who could be exactly that, land mines, early on and so far I'm looking at Berlocq, Garcia-Lopez, Delbonis, Melzer and Giraldo, though Giraldo will be seeded if someone else pulls out and there's a question mark over Monfils after his Nice withdrawal.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I saw Berlocq play Nadal here at the São Paulo open in 2013. Sure Nadal was still on his second (I guess) tournament after the comeback, but Berlocq made it a match, if I recall correctly he was a up a break in the third, and had game point to go up 5 x 3 or something. He has a good serve on clay (I do not now exactly what a good serve on clay is, but that's exactly what I thought when I saw him playing), and can both grind and attack. If he is playing well he is a hell of a landmine, I could see him taking out someone like Murray in the early rounds (I mean, as a possible upset, not that he is favorite).

Giraldo is an obvious choice for a landmine (if he is not seeded, and I hope he is not, it will make things more interesting).

I do not particularly root for my fellow brazilians, but good old Belluci rises to the occasion sometimes (ok, a very few times) and I would not be surprised if he ends up doing something relevant this time around.

Oh, and there's Delbonis. When his game is clicking he is a threat to anyone. This "when" is the problem though...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
mrzz said:
I saw Berlocq play Nadal here at the São Paulo open in 2013. Sure Nadal was still on his second (I guess) tournament after the comeback, but Berlocq made it a match, if I recall correctly he was a up a break in the third, and had game point to go up 5 x 3 or something. He has a good serve on clay (I do not now exactly what a good serve on clay is, but that's exactly what I thought when I saw him playing), and can both grind and attack. If he is playing well he is a hell of a landmine, I could see him taking out someone like Murray in the early rounds (I mean, as a possible upset, not that he is favorite).

Giraldo is an obvious choice for a landmine (if he is not seeded, and I hope he is not, it will make things more interesting).

I do not particularly root for my fellow brazilians, but good old Belluci rises to the occasion sometimes (ok, a very few times) and I would not be surprised if he ends up doing something relevant this time around.

Oh, and there's Delbonis. When his game is clicking he is a threat to anyone. This "when" is the problem though...

You make a great point about Giraldo. He's ranked 34. Does that mean he'll be seeded? Anyway, I think he's a big potential land mine in the early rounds. Bellucci has been more trouble in past years than of late, but I don't suppose most would be happy to see him in their first round at RG. Kind of the same with Delbonis.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
There are 2 players who have achieved last year life time achievements at RG, therefore a lot at stake for them to defend:
David Ferrer for the first time finalist and JWTsonga, his best run at RG a SF.
IIn case they will live only up to their ranking, so a QF for David and a R16 for JWT, both could fall, David not as hard as many would like to:).
David could slip to 8 from 5, but Jo from 14 to 19.
That 8th place for David would be technical
y still 7, because comes Wimbledon, JMDP will start sliding down from 7th where he is now for a while.
Of course, like it was the case last year with them, this year also we most likely will have upside surprises, unexpected QF, SF, or even a Finalist.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Ferrer will surely be a danger at RG. Despite prognostications of his decline, (including my own,) he's going pretty strong so far this year, esp. on clay. Jo-Wil is always a question mark, but I don't know who would want to see him in their quarter.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I am also looking forward to the "cupcake draw" debate on Friday. Always fun before a slam.

Given the ups and downs of this year, I doubt there is a "cupcake draw," though I take your point. ;)

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
lol. :)

....let the cupcake draw wars begin.

:plot :devil :emperor: :cover :grin: :dodgy:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think anyone would be afraid of Belluci in his current form. He may be a danger
to Belluci, that is it. Acouple of years ago, he was much better than now.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal Slayer Zeballos has won his frist round qualifying match. Three more wins by
him, Rafa may be out of RG. ;)

Other winners of 1st rd qualifying of today that caught my eye: Canadian
Frank Dancevic and Italians Potato Starch and Pablo Lorenzi.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I don't think anyone would be afraid of Belluci in his current form. He may be a danger
to Belluci, that is it. Acouple of years ago, he was much better than now.

Sure, but the the guy sometimes comes out of nowhere. He's pretty nowhere right now, so...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Bellucci can beat me anytime.

Monica Bellucci.

I wake up sweating thinking about that woman... :heart: :smooch

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Zeballos already lost in 2nd round of Quals. I need a new unnamed player.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

Believe me, this will be your mantra until after Wimbledon... ;)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Believe me, this will be your mantra until after Wimbledon... ;)

Your boy is not winning Wimbledon this year. He might RG, but Wimby nah

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, Wimbledon is a long way away, so let's stick to Paris for now. I'll be glad if he takes one, and if he takes both, well, you know what I'll be... :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Well, Wimbledon is a long way away, so let's stick to Paris for now. I'll be glad if he takes one, and if he takes both, well, you know what I'll be... :)

I would like Rafa to at least past rd 3 at Wimbledon this year..;)

Back to Paris.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Weather forecast for week 1:

BoQHnnVCEAAQbhy.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 23
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 343
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 627
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 256
GameSetAndMath Pro Tennis (Mens) 15