Donald Trump - Opinions?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/430137/donald-trump-conservative-movement-menace

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
15112 said:

Precisely. What a lot of conservatives seem to forget is that the man has no core principles. He'll move whichever way he needs to, to get the populist vote. He's an opportunist. I'm not even sure he can win the Republican candidacy, I'm guessing that the more candidates drop out the more likely someone else will win. He has to be hoping that he ends off running against more than one Republican candidate, that surely has to be his only chance. As for the presidential vote, I can't see how the GOP can win this. He'll have forced the other candidates so far to the right they will alienate the middle. But I guess this is politics in the West these days, candidates generally win because others cede the centre.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
15130 said:
Precisely. What a lot of conservatives seem to forget is that the man has no core principles. He’ll move whichever way he needs to, to get the populist vote. He’s an opportunist. I’m not even sure he can win the Republican candidacy, I’m guessing that the more candidates drop out the more likely someone else will win. He has to be hoping that he ends off running against more than one Republican candidate, that surely has to be his only chance. As for the presidential vote, I can’t see how the GOP can win this. He’ll have forced the other candidates so far to the right they will alienate the middle. But I guess this is politics in the West these days, candidates generally win because others cede the centre.
That is politics in the GOP these days:  the other hopefuls are digging their own graves by following Trumps's outrageous notions.  One of those wimps should have taken his/her own path.  As it is, they haven't a prayer in the general election.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Lol! Just noticed on my company's twitter feed someone has said.."Donald Trump is to America what Islamic State is to Islam" Priceless!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
15130 said:
Precisely. What a lot of conservatives seem to forget is that the man has no core principles. He’ll move whichever way he needs to, to get the populist vote. He’s an opportunist. I’m not even sure he can win the Republican candidacy, I’m guessing that the more candidates drop out the more likely someone else will win. He has to be hoping that he ends off running against more than one Republican candidate, that surely has to be his only chance. As for the presidential vote, I can’t see how the GOP can win this. He’ll have forced the other candidates so far to the right they will alienate the middle. But I guess this is politics in the West these days, candidates generally win because others cede the centre.

I'd have to disagree with that notion Federberg... Trump (whether you like him or agree with him or not) is actually standing on his own personal mandate. I'd say he hasn't moved to get the populist vote - otherwise he'd have toned down his views and moved to capture more of the centre ground. He's got strong views and is standing by them.

For this reason alone, I don't think he can win the presidency but he might get the Republican nomination.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Let's get down to some specifics on Donald Trump's campaign:

Which policies suggested by Trump do you agree/disagree with?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
15145 said:
Precisely. What a lot of conservatives seem to forget is that the man has no core principles. He’ll move whichever way he needs to, to get the populist vote. He’s an opportunist. I’m not even sure he can win the Republican candidacy, I’m guessing that the more candidates drop out the more likely someone else will win. He has to be hoping that he ends off running against more than one Republican candidate, that surely has to be his only chance. As for the presidential vote, I can’t see how the GOP can win this. He’ll have forced the other candidates so far to the right they will alienate the middle. But I guess this is politics in the West these days, candidates generally win because others cede the centre.</blockquote>
I’d have to disagree with that notion Federberg… Trump (whether you like him or agree with him or not) is actually standing on his own personal mandate. I’d say he hasn’t moved to get the populist vote – otherwise he’d have toned down his views and moved to capture more of the centre ground. He’s got strong views and is standing by them. For this reason alone, I don’t think he can win the presidency but he might get the Republican nomination.

Sorry mate, which notion do you disagree with? His lack of core principles? I said that because he's changed his tune over the years. Or do you mean something else? As for trying to capture the centre ground, he can't do that yet. He has to win the Republican vote. There is no payoff trying to be a centrist in the GOP at the moment. Just look at Jeb

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
15146 said:
Let’s get down to some specifics on Donald Trump’s campaign: Which policies suggested by Trump do you agree/disagree with?

I think part of the problem is that we have a lot of statements but precious little on the policy front to grab a hold of. For instance on jobs, he has said something like.. "Make economy dynamic; bring back jobs from China & Mexico" Yeah well... who doesn't thanks Don! And here's another peach... "Grow the economy at 6% annually by ending inversions" You can't see me, but I'm shaking my head in disgust...

Those aren't policies mate. That's water cooler bragadacio

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
15148 said:
</blockquote>
I’d have to disagree with that notion Federberg… Trump (whether you like him or agree with him or not) is actually standing on his own personal mandate. I’d say he hasn’t moved to get the populist vote – otherwise he’d have toned down his views and moved to capture more of the centre ground. He’s got strong views and is standing by them. For this reason alone, I don’t think he can win the presidency but he might get the Republican nomination.
</blockquote>
Sorry mate, which notion do you disagree with? His lack of core principles? I said that because he’s changed his tune over the years. Or do you mean something else? As for trying to capture the centre ground, he can’t do that yet. He has to win the Republican vote. There is no payoff trying to be a centrist in the GOP at the moment. Just look at Jeb

I disagree that he's another vanilla politician. He's got pretty strong views and is standing by them.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
15149 said:
britbox wrote:
Let’s get down to some specifics on Donald Trump’s campaign: Which policies suggested by Trump do you agree/disagree with?
I think part of the problem is that we have a lot of statements but precious little on the policy front to grab a hold of. For instance on jobs, he has said something like.. “Make economy dynamic; bring back jobs from China & Mexico” Yeah well… who doesn’t thanks Don! And here’s another peach… “Grow the economy at 6% annually by ending inversions” You can’t see me, but I’m shaking my head in disgust…

Those aren’t policies mate. That’s water cooler bragadacio

Good points to begin the conversation. Fair dues.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
15151 said:
Precisely. What a lot of conservatives seem to forget is that the man has no core principles. He’ll move whichever way he needs to, to get the populist vote. He’s an opportunist. I’m not even sure he can win the Republican candidacy, I’m guessing that the more candidates drop out the more likely someone else will win. He has to be hoping that he ends off running against more than one Republican candidate, that surely has to be his only chance. As for the presidential vote, I can’t see how the GOP can win this. He’ll have forced the other candidates so far to the right they will alienate the middle. But I guess this is politics in the West these days, candidates generally win because others cede the centre.</blockquote>
I’d have to disagree with that notion Federberg… Trump (whether you like him or agree with him or not) is actually standing on his own personal mandate. I’d say he hasn’t moved to get the populist vote – otherwise he’d have toned down his views and moved to capture more of the centre ground. He’s got strong views and is standing by them. For this reason alone, I don’t think he can win the presidency but he might get the Republican nomination.</blockquote>
Sorry mate, which notion do you disagree with? His lack of core principles? I said that because he’s changed his tune over the years. Or do you mean something else? As for trying to capture the centre ground, he can’t do that yet. He has to win the Republican vote. There is no payoff trying to be a centrist in the GOP at the moment. Just look at Jeb</blockquote>
I disagree that he’s another vanilla politician. He’s got pretty strong views and is standing by them.
No, he has a big mouth and a strong ego, and won't shut them down.  His "views" however, are another thing entirely.  They're from the penthouse, and he pretends that he hears the voice of the common man, for one thing.  Federberg is right that he's molded his views to make himself palatable to the more extreme conservatives, once he decided to run for president.  He was no one's solid conservative before that.  That's why Ted Cruz tried going after him for his "New York values."  (In fairness, Trump shut him up on that one very well.)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
15154 said:
</blockquote>
</blockquote>
Sorry mate, which notion do you disagree with? His lack of core principles? I said that because he’s changed his tune over the years. Or do you mean something else? As for trying to capture the centre ground, he can’t do that yet. He has to win the Republican vote. There is no payoff trying to be a centrist in the GOP at the moment. Just look at Jeb
</blockquote>
I disagree that he’s another vanilla politician. He’s got pretty strong views and is standing by them.
</blockquote>
No, he has a big mouth and a strong ego, and won’t shut them down. His “views” however, are another thing entirely. They’re from the penthouse, and he pretends that he hears the voice of the common man, for one thing. Federberg is right that he’s molded his views to make himself palatable to the more extreme conservatives, once he decided to run for president. He was no one’s solid conservative before that. That’s why Ted Cruz tried going after him for his “New York values.” (In fairness, Trump shut him up on that one very well.)

Which candidate doesn't have a big ego and a big mouth? Career criminal Hillary Clinton?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
15155 said:
I’d have to disagree with that notion Federberg… Trump (whether you like him or agree with him or not) is actually standing on his own personal mandate. I’d say he hasn’t moved to get the populist vote – otherwise he’d have toned down his views and moved to capture more of the centre ground. He’s got strong views and is standing by them. For this reason alone, I don’t think he can win the presidency but he might get the Republican nomination.</blockquote>
Sorry mate, which notion do you disagree with? His lack of core principles? I said that because he’s changed his tune over the years. Or do you mean something else? As for trying to capture the centre ground, he can’t do that yet. He has to win the Republican vote. There is no payoff trying to be a centrist in the GOP at the moment. Just look at Jeb</blockquote>
I disagree that he’s another vanilla politician. He’s got pretty strong views and is standing by them.</blockquote>
No, he has a big mouth and a strong ego, and won’t shut them down. His “views” however, are another thing entirely. They’re from the penthouse, and he pretends that he hears the voice of the common man, for one thing. Federberg is right that he’s molded his views to make himself palatable to the more extreme conservatives, once he decided to run for president. He was no one’s solid conservative before that. That’s why Ted Cruz tried going after him for his “New York values.” (In fairness, Trump shut him up on that one very well.)</blockquote>
Which candidate doesn’t have a big ego and a big mouth? Career criminal Hillary Clinton?
Not sure what you mean by "career criminal," but she doesn't have anywhere near the mouth or ego of Trump.  (He's off the charts, even compared to most politicians.  I'm taking it you haven't seen him on TV very much.)  And Clinton at least has real experience in diplomacy and policy.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Trump is what USA needs now - finally we have a candidate who is not owned entirely by the puppetmasters - everyone else for the last several elections has been a puppet - all of our politicians are puppets and hence we have seen USA crumble because the politicians serve their masters (not going to name who they are) and not the people - Trump has the puppetmasters and their ilk very worried -

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
15156 said:
</blockquote>
</blockquote>
</blockquote>
</blockquote>
No, he has a big mouth and a strong ego, and won’t shut them down. His “views” however, are another thing entirely. They’re from the penthouse, and he pretends that he hears the voice of the common man, for one thing. Federberg is right that he’s molded his views to make himself palatable to the more extreme conservatives, once he decided to run for president. He was no one’s solid conservative before that. That’s why Ted Cruz tried going after him for his “New York values.” (In fairness, Trump shut him up on that one very well.)
</blockquote>
Which candidate doesn’t have a big ego and a big mouth? Career criminal Hillary Clinton?
</blockquote>
Not sure what you mean by “career criminal,” but she doesn’t have anywhere near the mouth or ego of Trump. (He’s off the charts, even compared to most politicians. I’m taking it you haven’t seen him on TV very much.) And Clinton at least has real experience in diplomacy and policy.

No, I haven't see him on TV much but I've seen Hillary. Sure, she has real experience in diplomacy and policy...

Really bad experience when truth be told...

Benghazi: How did that pan out?
Whitewater: say no more.
Health Care Reform: need I go on.

Hillary Clinton is a failed politician who is hanging around solely on the basis of her surname... and apparently a nasty piece of work according to people who have ever worked with her.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
15158 said:
No, I haven’t see him on TV much but I’ve seen Hillary. Sure, she has real experience in diplomacy and policy… Really bad experience when truth be told… Benghazi: How did that pan out? Whitewater: say no more. Health Care Reform: need I go on. Hillary Clinton is a failed politician who is hanging around solely on the basis of her surname… and apparently a nasty piece of work according to people who have ever worked with her.

Benghazi:  She accepted responsibility as the Sec. of State, but what do you think she's actually, personally, guilty of in that case?</div>
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/hillary-clinton/11946636/Benghazi-scandal-What-happened-and-what-does-it-mean-for-Hillary-Clinton.html</div>
Whitewater:  We actually should say more.  After a long, very expensive investigation by Kenneth Starr, you remember what they came up with?  Bill Clinton had an affair with Monica Lewinsky and lied about it.  Nothing against either Clinton on Whitewater, and, you should remember, that a lot of people in the US felt it was ultimately a politically motivated witch hunt, and we got stuck with the bill.</div>
Health care reform:  I don't see what's wrong with that attempt.  It was a first crack at it, and the Clinton's, young and fresh in office, naively took on the insurance companies.  Hilary was vilified, but unfairly.  Their initial failure helped Obama get healthcare through, eventually.  In part because, sadly, he learned that you can't take on big insurance.  You learn to live with it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've said that Trump has no specifics on his policies, which you asked about @britbox. The Washington Post details that: "Because I said so."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-trump-platform-because-i-said-so/2015/08/01/4684802c-36f7-11e5-9739-170df8af8eb9_story.html

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
15210 said:
Moxie wrote:
I’ve said that Trump has no specifics on his policies, which you asked about http://discuss.tennis/members/britbox/@britbox. The Washington Post details that: “Because I said so.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-trump-platform-because-i-said-so/2015/08/01/4684802c-36f7-11e5-9739-170df8af8eb9_story.html
I will address your points… just working on the next version of the site right now. Should be ready before the weekend is out.

I suspected you were working on it, as the text looks different. No worries. Donald Trump can wait, and the election is months away. ;)