14342 said:
mrzz wrote:
<blockquote>
Moxie wrote:
<blockquote>
Edbergs Ghost wrote:
<blockquote>
britbox wrote:
What surface are they on for the Olympics?
The real question is if they will get the light bill paid. Things aren’t going very well in Brazil at the moment. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-06/olympic-stadium-brazil-goes-dark-over-unpaid-250000-electric-bill</blockquote>
This is disturbing. While I want to applaud the Olympic effort to look beyond the more-obvious nations, it seems that the one-two of World Cup and Olympics to Brazil was not so wise. They built stadiums that will never be used again, on the backs of their poor, who have been unhappy at the expenditures on sports facilities at the expense of more needed infrastructure, etc. No surprise that Brazil is finding it difficult to pay for all of these other new sports facilities. And the Olympics is notoriously a “white elephant” to the host country. It seems they might have been better off taking the PR from the World Cup and leaving it at that. Sounds like another Sochi, which wasn’t that comfortable for the athletes, or for the international press, by all accounts. However, it’s still Rio, so they will have fun, as long as they’re safe, and have the money to pay for AC.</blockquote>
You people keep talking about Brazil without knowing what is really going on. I can assure you that it is far worst than you think.</blockquote>
The budget looks pretty grim ($520m over budget according to that article)… although countries always tend to “make it in the end” to avert national embarrassment.

Yes, and the IOC and FIFA get away with it, because they know this. They are just as responsible handing these events over to these countries. There should be a much thorougher check into the financials before a country is even allowed to be a candidate. All these pointless stadiums everywhere, what a waste.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
one of the predictions that can be made here is how many matches djokovic will lose in 2016.

who will step up and take a shot at this?

I will fire the first shot.

I will provide a range: I say he loses 3-5 matches in all of 2016.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
14302 said:
Moxie wrote:
<blockquote>
Edbergs Ghost wrote:
<blockquote>
britbox wrote:
The real question is if they will get the light bill paid. Things aren’t going very well in Brazil at the moment. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-06/olympic-stadium-brazil-goes-dark-over-unpaid-250000-electric-bill</blockquote>
This is disturbing. While I want to applaud the Olympic effort to look beyond the more-obvious nations, it seems that the one-two of World Cup and Olympics to Brazil was not so wise. They built stadiums that will never be used again, on the backs of their poor, who have been unhappy at the expenditures on sports facilities at the expense of more needed infrastructure, etc. No surprise that Brazil is finding it difficult to pay for all of these other new sports facilities. And the Olympics is notoriously a “white elephant” to the host country. It seems they might have been better off taking the PR from the World Cup and leaving it at that. Sounds like another Sochi, which wasn’t that comfortable for the athletes, or for the international press, by all accounts. However, it’s still Rio, so they will have fun, as long as they’re safe, and have the money to pay for AC.</blockquote>
You people keep talking about Brazil without knowing what is really going on. I can assure you that it is far worst than you think.

You are there, right?  It would be interesting if you would tell us more about what you're seeing.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
14487 said:
You are there, right? It would be interesting if you would tell us more about what you’re seeing.

There's one thing I don't like about the way sports are treated here in Brazil: we "invest" in already formed athletes when some federation (or whoever plays that role) can get dividends. So we had some very good facilities and coaches and staff and whatever for swimmers who already had won important things (and trained hard, before "stardom", outside Brazil). The same goes for runners, jumpers and the like. Football is a bit different, as it is a tradition, but even so just a few clubs (that is, big established football teams) invest on the sport for itself (and only looking for revenue, as they trade their young players).

We expect some athletes to, no matter how, put their heads above the water and them all the money is thrown in their direction.  No money is put, for example, in indoor football (futsal, played by five players), by far the sport most played in Brazil (yes, much more than usual football).

Even in Kuerten days, the most we got was some lousy facilities to hold the initial Brazil Open (the same 250 tournament we still have) in some fancy resort in Bahia, away from were people actually play tennis. Kuerten, with his own money, started some things in the south, from where he is from (we grew up in the same city, as I mentioned before). By the way, now the 250 tournament is here at São Paulo (Brazil's largest city, where I live now), and just changed its location. It is not 500 yards from my home anymore... but at least is on permanent clay courts, at Clube Pinheiros (still only 4 miles away from home).

That's the context. Now for what I see (which is not much, as I am not following to closely): As you all pointed out above, all the money goes to things which are just for the show, specially here in Brazil. But, honestly, for me this is not FIFA's or OC's or whoever's fault. It is always the country's fault, it is the country who wanted to host things to begin with.

Some years ago we were discussing, I do not remember in which forum we were then, about surfaces on Rio 500 and the Olympics. I remember that I went after the information, and, even being brazilian and reasonably knowing were to look, it took me two days to find information enough only to guess (by the way, my guess was right). Why? Because it has no connection to the real world. In the end, we will have our biggest tournament in Rio, where there is simply no tennis tradition, on hard courts, which we don't have tradition too. They can always say that they will use the facilities to promote the sport, etc and etc. They won't. Tennis gear is expensive... In five years we can check back.

The reason for Rio 500 to be held on hard courts is simple (and I heard that from the tournament organizers): they want to attract the big players who want to prepare themselves for Indian Wells/ Miami. São Paulo 250 considered hard courts exactly for the same reason. It is a financial decision. No problem in financial decisions, but the thing is that it is only financial, and with a big fat lying discourse about sports attached to it.

One last thing: I am pretty sure Brazil will be able to pay for everything (referring to some comments above), rather easily. It is a big economy... there is always somewhere to steal the money from.

So, yes, my take on sports in Brazil may sound harsh, but I am being polite, to be honest. I would use other words if we were on a less educated forum.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
14396 said:
britbox wrote:
<blockquote>
mrzz wrote:
<blockquote>
Moxie wrote:
<blockquote>
Edbergs Ghost wrote:
<blockquote>
britbox wrote:
You people keep talking about Brazil without knowing what is really going on. I can assure you that it is far worst than you think.</blockquote>
The budget looks pretty grim ($520m over budget according to that article)… although countries always tend to “make it in the end” to avert national embarrassment.</blockquote>
Yes, and the IOC and FIFA get away with it, because they know this. They are just as responsible handing these events over to these countries. There should be a much thorougher check into the financials before a country is even allowed to be a candidate. All these pointless stadiums everywhere, what a waste.

I take the point and agree, although I think @mrzz pointed out already that Brazil has a pretty big economy... you would think plenty big enough to support hosting the event. Quatar hosting the world cup is a bigger issue for me.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here is another prediction you can make.

chris evert just did: she said Rafa has zero chance against Djokovic ony an surface.

translation: one can predict that Rafa won't be able take a single win against Djokovic in 2016.

more later.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
well then the picture for Rafa should be more clear now as far as 2016 is concerned:
  1. zero titles on the hard courts since 2013.
  2. zero masters titles in 2016
  3. zero slams in 2016. he may not even get past the 2nd or 3rd round of any slam. even ferru will outperform rafa at slams.
  4. decline cant continue because he has fallen about as far it is possible to fall. he is at rock bottom.
he has just 20% of his ground game left and barely 50% of his once supreme fitness and also immense physicality. you don't drop this much by accident. he doesn't care to win. it is just that simple.

so the only way is up from here but I have not seen any indication that he wants to move up to challenge the best. there is only talk and lip service and he has to do that because he is still in the sport. you have to say the right words to the fans/followers/sponsors/friends.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
a number of pros should be retiring this year.

any predictions along those lines?

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ok folks I think I have my prediction as it relates to the number of matches Djokovic will lose in 2016.

This is my final prediction for Djokovic in 2016.

I think he will lose no more than 2-3 matches in 2016.

He really has no competition at all.

Rafa doesn't give a damn and now has fallen too far anyway. He will find it difficult to win even 250 level Micky mouse events let alone challenge the top players.

Andy does not have a dominating forehand and Roger is getting too old.

But at least they And and Roger are out there trying to compete and fight.

This will now become the easiest slam haul for Djokovic. He could win the next 7 slams or more.

berdych is absolutely useless and Milos does not have the movement and the consistency.

There is near zero competition for Djokovic and he still outworking them all.

EdbergsGhost

Masters Champion
Reactions
Milos had a pretty excellent run at the Australian Open. It seems he would have taken Andy down too, but for that (abductor) injury. His has improved his movement a lot since I first watched him play. His backhand and ability to remain healthy need the most work.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic said he is in a good position to go after Federer's slam record.

some tennis pros of the past are saying Djokovic can win 20 slams.

so while Rafa can't fart around enough, Djokovic can't win enough slams.

Rafa was the only one that could have stopped Djokovic.

He chose to walk away from staring down history.

Djokovic chose to attack history.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Milos had a pretty excellent run at the Australian Open. It seems he would have taken Andy down too, but for that (abductor) injury. His has improved his movement a lot since I first watched him play. His backhand and ability to remain healthy need the most work.
Yeah, I was very impressed with Milos during the AO.

Agree that his backhand needs a lot of work, but he's definitely focusing on his weapons - huge serve, stepping in and attacking at the net whenever he gets the opportunity, playing a very aggressive brand of tennis. His movement has improved a lot this last year.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'd give Milos "most improved," for now. I'm impressed.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like Milos. he is improving.

clay will do him good to develop more consistency off the ground.

that being said, good luck winning any masters event or slam with djokovic around. it is just not going to happen.

Djokovic stands at the gate of all the slams and all the masters events.

Rafa is the only one who can challenge Djokovic and the only place where he can challenge him is on clay.

but that is just wasted words on my part since rafa will find it hard to win even 250 level clay events at the current rate, let alone anything else.

he simply does not have the fitness and the hunger. and of course now he doesn't have much of a game either.

Milos wants to be #1 according to Moya. that type of drive and aspiration is admirable.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Milos will end up in the Top 8 by the end of the year, and Kyrgios will break the top 20.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am starting to like this man's chances at Wimbledon. I think he takes this Wimbledon and dedicates it to his daughter and his wife.
he has to improve his serve and get a little stronger with the return.