Discuss Tennis Fearless 15

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Roger Federer has weighed in now.

he says that this year will be hard to repeat for Djokovic.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
who will step forward and take this Discuss Tennis challenge?

who has the gold medal predictions?

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic will surpass $100 million in on-court prize money alone.

to put that in perspective, Sampras ruled the sport longer and had more slams. he won $50 million.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
14129 said:
What surface are they on for the Olympics?
Hard court.  I've read it will be a fast one, but not sure of the source.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would love to see another gold medal for Rafa.

but playing doubles and mixed doubles also is going to make it difficult.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
  1. Djokovic
  2. Raonic
  3. Nadal

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
14250 said:
  1. Djokovic
  2. Raonic
  3. Nadal

djokovic will be the heavy favorite for the gold of course.

but should the top guns tumble for some reason then rafa has a chance. we will just have to see.

but as I  have suggested that he might be hurting his chances to medal in anything by playing all 3 events.

I believe he should go for broke and try to medal in singles.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
14258 said:
Denis wrote:
  1. Djokovic
  2. Raonic
  3. Nadal
djokovic will be the heavy favorite for the gold of course. but should the top guns tumble for some reason then rafa has a chance. we will just have to see. but as I have suggested that he might be hurting his chances to medal in anything by playing all 3 events. I believe he should go for broke and try to medal in singles.

Do you think the big four will play all three events? I surely hope Novak sticks to singles.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
14259 said:
Clay Death wrote:
<blockquote>
Denis wrote:
  1. Djokovic
  2. Raonic
  3. Nadal
djokovic will be the heavy favorite for the gold of course. but should the top guns tumble for some reason then rafa has a chance. we will just have to see. but as I have suggested that he might be hurting his chances to medal in anything by playing all 3 events. I believe he should go for broke and try to medal in singles.</blockquote>
Do you think the big four will play all three events? I surely hope Novak sticks to singles.
14259 said:
Clay Death wrote:
<blockquote>
Denis wrote:
  1. Djokovic
  2. Raonic
  3. Nadal
djokovic will be the heavy favorite for the gold of course. but should the top guns tumble for some reason then rafa has a chance. we will just have to see. but as I have suggested that he might be hurting his chances to medal in anything by playing all 3 events. I believe he should go for broke and try to medal in singles.</blockquote>

i think Djokovic will be out to capture the gold. He will be focused. He is not going fart around with mixed doubles.

EdbergsGhost

Masters Champion
Reactions
14129 said:

The real question is if they will get the light bill paid.  Things aren't going very well in Brazil at the moment.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-06/olympic-stadium-brazil-goes-dark-over-unpaid-250000-electric-bill

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
14265 said:
britbox wrote:
The real question is if they will get the light bill paid. Things aren’t going very well in Brazil at the moment. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-06/olympic-stadium-brazil-goes-dark-over-unpaid-250000-electric-bill
This is disturbing. While I want to applaud the Olympic effort to look beyond the more-obvious nations, it seems that the one-two of World Cup and Olympics to Brazil was not so wise.  They built stadiums that will never be used again, on the backs of their poor, who have been unhappy at the expenditures on sports facilities at the expense of more needed infrastructure, etc.  No surprise that Brazil is finding it difficult to pay for all of these other new sports facilities.  And the Olympics is notoriously a "white elephant" to the host country.  It seems they might have been better off taking the PR from the World Cup and leaving it at that.  Sounds like another Sochi, which wasn't that comfortable for the athletes, or for the international press, by all accounts.  However, it's still Rio, so they will have fun, as long as they're safe, and have the money to pay for AC.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
14259 said:
Clay Death wrote:
<blockquote>
Denis wrote:
  1. Djokovic
  2. Raonic
  3. Nadal

Zimonjic confirmed that Nole and he will be teaming up for the Olympic doubles, a couple of months ago.

A lot of problems in Rio still, that is too bad.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My predictions stand:

the the gulf between Rafa and Djokovic has never been greater.

djokovic was merciful and gave Rafa 3 games.

one is actually working harder than ever before and has the results to prove it while the other just talks about working hard and has pretty much zero results.

i can't see Rafa winning another hard court title ever again. Time is running out rapidly anyway.

i can't see him ever winning another masters title even on clay. not unless I see some dramatic changes in training and fitness.

djokovic could have beaten him 6-0, 6-0 today if he had wanted to.

go hit the gym Rafa. Get your fitness back. And get your physical strength back.

and also start putting in very long and hard yards on the practice courts.

either that or just keep talking about how hard you are working. Some damn fool is sure to believe you.

are you not getting tired of being crushed like a hapless mosquito over and over again?

Reactions: masterclass

EdbergsGhost

Masters Champion
Reactions
Djokovic has figured out Rafa's spin and is punishing the Bull. Sadly, it seems the rest of the tour has begun to figure out the timing as well. Nadal looks about as fit as ever, but there's nothing he can do when his opponent is taking time away from him and putting away his shots at will.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic blasted 16 winners in the first set alone. He took it in just 30 minutes.

rafa can't return well. He also has considerably diminished depth and pace on his shots.

and now add just 30 percent of the ground game he once had.

he is just a sitting duck out there for Djokovic.

nothing is going to happen.

i give him rio and Hamburg this year but don't expect anything else. You will just get your heart broken.

he has no consistency, no depth and pace on his shots, no return, and drastically reduced fitness and physicality.

that is heartbreak enough for us. He walked away sometime in 2014. And now it is nearly impossible to get back on the train.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
14268 said:
Edbergs Ghost wrote:
<blockquote>
britbox wrote:
The real question is if they will get the light bill paid. Things aren’t going very well in Brazil at the moment. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-06/olympic-stadium-brazil-goes-dark-over-unpaid-250000-electric-bill</blockquote>
This is disturbing. While I want to applaud the Olympic effort to look beyond the more-obvious nations, it seems that the one-two of World Cup and Olympics to Brazil was not so wise. They built stadiums that will never be used again, on the backs of their poor, who have been unhappy at the expenditures on sports facilities at the expense of more needed infrastructure, etc. No surprise that Brazil is finding it difficult to pay for all of these other new sports facilities. And the Olympics is notoriously a “white elephant” to the host country. It seems they might have been better off taking the PR from the World Cup and leaving it at that. Sounds like another Sochi, which wasn’t that comfortable for the athletes, or for the international press, by all accounts. However, it’s still Rio, so they will have fun, as long as they’re safe, and have the money to pay for AC.

You people keep talking about Brazil without knowing what is really going on.

I can assure you that it is far worst than you think.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
14302 said:
Moxie wrote:
<blockquote>
Edbergs Ghost wrote:
<blockquote>
britbox wrote:
The real question is if they will get the light bill paid. Things aren’t going very well in Brazil at the moment. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-06/olympic-stadium-brazil-goes-dark-over-unpaid-250000-electric-bill</blockquote>
This is disturbing. While I want to applaud the Olympic effort to look beyond the more-obvious nations, it seems that the one-two of World Cup and Olympics to Brazil was not so wise. They built stadiums that will never be used again, on the backs of their poor, who have been unhappy at the expenditures on sports facilities at the expense of more needed infrastructure, etc. No surprise that Brazil is finding it difficult to pay for all of these other new sports facilities. And the Olympics is notoriously a “white elephant” to the host country. It seems they might have been better off taking the PR from the World Cup and leaving it at that. Sounds like another Sochi, which wasn’t that comfortable for the athletes, or for the international press, by all accounts. However, it’s still Rio, so they will have fun, as long as they’re safe, and have the money to pay for AC.</blockquote>
You people keep talking about Brazil without knowing what is really going on. I can assure you that it is far worst than you think.

The budget looks pretty grim ($520m over budget according to that article)... although countries always tend to "make it in the end" to avert national embarrassment.