Discuss the current one-hand BHs

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
On another thread, @Jelenafan said this: "At his best, Stan has the best us of a "heavy" 1H BH." Today TC showed a rerun of Wawrinka d. Tsitsipas at RG 2019, a battle of generations and one-handers. I'm not making a poll, because I'm not especially interested in them being ranked, but I am interested in hearing from fans of (cultists!) and practitioners of the 1HBH. Roger's is a beauty, obviously. Stan and Thiem have broad-shouldered strong ones. Grigor and Dan Evans, Feli Lopez are one-handers. And what about the future of it? Tsitsipas, Shapo. Anyone else of note? Just throwing out a discussion point, while we wait for tennis to come back live.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
They're pretty.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Oh yeah, anyone who doesn't practice or enjoy a one-handed backhand is a philistine. Players who mostly use the crude two-handers aren't real tennis players, but ball-bashers and savages.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
There.
They're pretty.

Oh yeah, anyone who doesn't practice or enjoy a one-handed backhand is a philistine. Players who mostly use the crude two-handers aren't real tennis players, but ball-bashers and savages.
Stan's and Dominic's BH s by far are the most "venomous". They both have the best rotations and can finish dtl or CC with the same amount of force. Just ask Novak..he totally put in uncomfortable positions by their pace. These two players" BHs can hit through his brilliant defense.IMO

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They're pretty.

Ah, one-handers are pretty. That old trope. Back to tennis-as-ballet, or art-form. It's a sport, sport, and the objective is to win. But I was hoping for a finer discussion on the various 1H BHs. Anyway, I know you were joking.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
I will miss players such as Gasquet and Carla Suarez Navarro (WTA) when they officially hang 'em up. No idea about the future of OHBH, but seems like a good sign that the two highly ranked NextGen whom OP listed use it. And I guess Thiem too as a late bloomer. The more top players using it, the better IMO

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ah, one-handers are pretty. That old trope. Back to tennis-as-ballet, or art-form. It's a sport, sport, and the objective is to win. But I was hoping for a finer discussion on the various 1H BHs. Anyway, I know you were joking.

Did you say ballet?

1586727133593.png

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As to the Nadal video, that's interesting. We do understand that they practice shots outside of their norm, just in case, I guess. Even the tweeners and sky-hooks and stuff. It's just Kyrgios who has given away the dirty little secret that they all have trick shots in their bags. We used to think that was just Fabrice Santoro.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
As to the Nadal video, that's interesting. We do understand that they practice shots outside of their norm, just in case, I guess. Even the tweeners and sky-hooks and stuff. It's just Kyrgios who has given away the dirty little secret that they all have trick shots in their bags. We used to think that was just Fabrice Santoro.

Yeah. I think the difference with Kyrgios is that he ignores the percentages that other, less impulsive players generally follow. It makes for more interesting tennis, but also probably leads to a greater number of errors and lost games than he might otherwise have had.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kind of hilarious, right? A quick google search unearthed that gem. :smooch:
Your post of the year. .I would love for Rafa to bait Novak into the net and send a back hand passing shot like that..e.g..AO 5 set 4-2 30-15...oh if we could turn back time

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Gasquet's one-hander is the prettiest (although not the best). Poetry in motion, even down to the distinct pop as the racquet meets the ball.

I love them all...Gasquet, Stan, Fed, Haas... Thiem gave me a nice reminder at the AO.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Look at this newb learning to play tennis:

Rafa’s bh balance is perfecto.. Can you imagine what type of chaos in Novak’s psych if Rafa would send a few one handed missiles(Stan or Dominic like) dtl to Nova bh . Jajaja