Davis Cup Draw: World Group: 2014

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Davis Cup draw for the World Group

Home countries are listed first with seeding in brackets.

Germany v Spain (3)

Czech Republic (1) v Netherlands

Japan v Canada (7)

France (5) v Australia

United States (6) v Great Britain

Argentina (4) v Italy

Kazakhstan (8) v Belgium

Serbia (2) v Switzerland

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Federer commits to the Swiss team (and it's a Big IF) then we'll probably get a Federer/Djokovic clash... and another episode of Wawrinka/Djokovic.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Davis Cup's oldest rivalry is back: Great Britain v US

I'm wondering what surface they'll choose. To be honest clay wouldn't surprise me.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the English got a nightmare draw but it is do-able.

I think andy will deliver 2 points.

and they just might have a shot at doubles. bryans are getting old and cant win forever.

I believe that evans on a good day might be able to get by isner. so the brits have to bring him along.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
roger wont be playing against Serbia. you can make book on that now.

for the sake of tennis and for his country, I hope he does but I am not seeing it at the moment.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
If Federer commits to the Swiss team (and it's a Big IF) then we'll probably get a Federer/Djokovic clash... and another episode of Wawrinka/Djokovic.

Especially, in view of the draw Fed will choose not to play in the 1st round.
So, Switzerland will lose. Then, fed will play in the week after US open to salvage
Switzerland back into the world group. I have seen this drama many times before.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Clay Death said:

and they just might have a shot at doubles. bryans are getting old and cant win forever.

I believe that evans on a good day might be able to get by isner. so the brits have to bring him along.

Now Clay Death if it was the 'English' then Andy wouldn't be playing would he? Brits and English are not interchangeable. It's just Great Britain. :)

It's not a nightmare draw. Spain or Serbia would be a nightmare draw. The US away just after the Australian Open is not ideal but it's doable. Andy should win both his rubbers for a start.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think it is do-able. I shall cheer for the great dunblane warrior and his country even though I am an American.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/davis-cup-great-britain-handed-nightmare-draw-away-against-united-states-8823792.html

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Iona16 said:
Clay Death said:

Now Clay Death if it was the 'English' then Andy wouldn't be playing would he? Brits and English are not interchangeable. It's just Great Britain. :)

It's not a nightmare draw. Spain or Serbia would be a nightmare draw. The US away just after the Australian Open is not ideal but it's doable. Andy should win both his rubbers for a start.

Who would your GB doubles pairing be Iona?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Iona16 said:
Clay Death said:

Well, Andy might not be representing Great Britain for long. We should know the
results of referendum on independence of scots from UK in exactly an year from now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_independence_referendum,_2014

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
augustonsports.blogspot.com
If Fed played on R16, SUI-SER would be a 50:50 tie. Nole would probably win two rubbers, Tipsy lose two. I really hope Fed plays, a good chance for SUI to make the final.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
Iona16 said:
Clay Death said:

Who would your GB doubles pairing be Iona?

It depends on the surface but I'd probably say Fleming and Marray as they play pretty well together. I'd rather they didn't play Andy all 3 days again.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Iona16 said:
Clay Death said:

Well, Andy might not be representing Great Britain for long. We should know the
results of referendum on independence of scots from UK in exactly an year from now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_independence_referendum,_2014

I'll keep my politics to myself. :)