Danish Angel - Holger Rune Talk

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Would you be surprised if he said he was going to go it alone for a while? I wouldn’t be. Hopefully he will choose someone who can help develop his game as well as encouraging him to step up and grow up. (imo)
I would not be surprised if he goes alone. However, if he does go alone, it will definitely stagnate his development. 2023 is the honeymoon phase of his career. 2024 will be a a different story especially he has reached a career high ranking of 4 in the world. He needs someone in his camp to guide him in the rigorous part of the tour.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I would not be surprised if he goes alone. However, if he does go alone, it will definitely stagnate his development. 2023 is the honeymoon phase of his career. 2024 will be a a different story especially he has reached a career high ranking of 4 in the world. He needs someone in his camp to guide him in the rigorous part of the tour.
Totally agree.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Totally agree.
Just look at the two players in his age group: Alcaraz and Sinner. Both players have coaches that will allow their players to maximize their full potential.

Rune is definitely a talented player, I could even argue that he is "more talented" than Sinner (I am huge Sinner fan). The problem with Rune right now is that he does not have the discipline (yet) to harness/refine his talents.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Would you be surprised if he said he was going to go it alone for a while? I wouldn’t be. Hopefully he will choose someone who can help develop his game as well as encouraging him to step up and grow up. (imo)
Well from his mothers comments Lars may still be in the picture, not a shocker that there was a “clash of egos” between Lars & Patrick that could have affected Little Holger.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rune should take Magnus Norman when he gets finished with Stan. He coached Stan during his peak and is now hanging with Stan once again probably for the good old times.

When the coach speaks your language it possibly helps player/coach to connect. Some winning combinations that come to mind: Nadal/Uncle Toni/ Moya, Alcaraz/Ferrero, Novak/Goran, Federer/Luthi.

Not sure of the language differences between Danish and Swedish, but I always thought they can understand each other well. Maybe @lomaha can shed some light on this if a Dane and a Swede can easily make a conversation on their respective languages?

Reactions: Kieran and tented

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Rune should take Magnus Norman when he gets finished with Stan. He coached Stan during his peak and is now hanging with Stan once again probably for the good old times.

When the coach speaks your language it possibly helps player/coach to connect. Some winning combinations that come to mind: Nadal/Uncle Toni/ Moya, Alcaraz/Ferrero, Novak/Goran, Federer/Luthi.

Not sure of the language differences between Danish and Swedish, but I always thought they can understand each other well. Maybe @lomaha can shed some light on this if a Dane and a Swede can easily make a conversation on their respective languages?
We understand swedish and norwegian very well. I think he might go back to Lars Christensen. But we will see.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rune is schedule to play Beijing and Shanghai so I am curious to see if he will bring a coach in those two events. First things first, I am hoping his back will be fine before he starts playing any type of matches. He does not want to have any lingering back issues going into the "off-season."

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
We understand swedish and norwegian very well. I think he might go back to Lars Christensen. But we will see.
I read the other day, Rune's mother who is his manager, said she wanted Rune to go back to Lars Christensen, I believe Lars was at the USO helping out Clara Tauson, whose coach could not attend the USO due to personal reasons.

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I read the other day, Rune's mother who is his manager, said she wanted Rune to go back to Lars Christensen, I believe Lars was at the USO helping out Clara Tauson, whose coach could not attend the USO due to personal reasons.
He was indeed. He has coached them both back in Denmark as juniors and he knows them both very well.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Rune has told danish reporters that he is back with Lars starting from the Beijing tournament.

Reactions: Kieran

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I only see what I see on court, but I feel like Holger is in that liminal zone where he has to decide how great he wants to be, and it is ultimately up to him.

Someone needs to have a hard talk with him and say: "Kid, you've got the talent to be great. But you need to work hard and listen to your coaches, and learn to control your emotions. It is 100% on you."

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I only see what I see on court, but I feel like Holger is in that liminal zone where he has to decide how great he wants to be, and it is ultimately up to him.

Someone needs to have a hard talk with him and say: "Kid, you've got the talent to be great. But you need to work hard and listen to your coaches, and learn to control your emotions. It is 100% on you."
Yes. I think he has a bit of a ceiling with regard to his ability to stay healthy. Going forward though, I’m looking to see whom he chooses for a coach. If he states he’s going to go it alone, that doesn’t bode well for his future success.

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Yes. I think he has a bit of a ceiling with regard to his ability to stay healthy. Going forward though, I’m looking to see whom he chooses for a coach. If he states he’s going to go it alone, that doesn’t bode well for his future success.
He has already named Lars as his coach going forward. I think he has a lot to deal with because he is getting older. And appareantly got his first girlfriend...❤️

Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He’s playing Davis Cup this week, no ?

It seems odd to talk about a 20 year old at a crossroads but I agree with you guys that what Holger does now can impact whether he can jump up to the “greatness” level. As El Dude pointed out in other threads, the window of opportunity statistically speaking to quantum leap up occurs in nearly all cases between 19 & 22 years of age. "He's only 20", yes, but there are things that can be established in the next 12-18 months going forward as to where he will settle.

Again, we are spoiled by Alcaraz, but there are signs with Rune, Holger has a positive head2 head with top ten players, and he has wins against the top 3: Djokovic, Alcaraz & Medvedev, (contrast with 22 year old Sinner who plays well versus Alcaraz but otherwise is 0-11 versus Djokovic, Medvedev and Rune himself). Best results at Slams this year was one 4th round and 2 QTRS back to back. He's at 20 currently ranked. #4 so the big question is will he go upward from here or will he regress.

The back injury is worrisome, but this late fall HC season will be telling; if he's physically recovered and if the coaching situation impacted him headwise with Patrick and Lars butting egos earlier this year. Glad he's got that settled for now, but no doubt the big expectations are squarely on his shoulders. I do think he's incredibly talented but can he balance the physical, emotional and mental to be a great champion is the burning question. The tournament grind can get to even the most gifted players.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He’s playing Davis Cup this week, no ?

It seems odd to talk about a 20 year old at a crossroads but I agree with you guys that what Holger does now can impact whether he can jump up to the “greatness” level. As El Dude pointed out in other threads, the window of opportunity statistically speaking to quantum leap up occurs in nearly all cases between 19 & 22 years of age. "He's only 20", yes, but there are things that can be established in the next 12-18 months going forward as to where he will settle.

Again, we are spoiled by Alcaraz, but there are signs with Rune, Holger has a positive head2 head with top ten players, and he has wins against the top 3: Djokovic, Alcaraz & Medvedev, (contrast with 22 year old Sinner who plays well versus Alcaraz but otherwise is 0-11 versus Djokovic, Medvedev and Rune himself). Best results at Slams this year was one 4th round and 2 QTRS back to back. He's at 20 currently ranked. #4 so the big question is will he go upward from here or will he regress.

The back injury is worrisome, but this late fall HC season will be telling; if he's physically recovered and if the coaching situation impacted him headwise with Patrick and Lars butting egos earlier this year. Glad he's got that settled for now, but no doubt the big expectations are squarely on his shoulders. I do think he's incredibly talented but can he balance the physical, emotional and mental to be a great champion is the burning question. The tournament grind can get to even the most gifted players.
I know it's hard to say "make or break" for Rune, at such a tender age, but he clearly needs some guidance. And frankly, I think he's well-shed of Morataglou, for the moment. He's a bit of a star-chaser, (and a leech, if you ask me,) and what Rune needs is a good father-figure/mentor. It's ok if it doesn't all keep going as fast as it has, but the important thing is that he improves, stays healthy, and has a nurturing team around him.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is why I wanted to wait or be patient with Rune before I completely put all these high expectations on him.

The toughest part of being a professional tennis is the grind that goes into being a professional tennis player. For Rune right now, he is trying to navigate all these obstacles especially after having a HUGE title as a 19 years old.

My main worry about him is his back issues. If it doesn’t go away, that could be a major problem for the future.

Reactions: Moxie

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
A win for Rune - finally. Two players struggeling to get back on track and I actually feel sorry for Felix... That was a tough draw.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
A win for Rune - finally. Two players struggeling to get back on track and I actually feel sorry for Felix... That was a tough draw.
Yeah but he kinda took the predictable route, didn’t he? He’s like a punch drunk boxer reeling around the ring, at this stage…

Reactions: lomaha

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I still think that Rune should just take the rest of year off especially if he is still somewhat dealing with the back issues. Allow his body to heal first and have a longer off-season so he can have a recharge in 2024.